Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Official Scoring Questions for Stew

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

You are such a bad hombre.

Maybe so, but I was never deported back to the upper deck.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#22 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 634 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

I still say it's not a shift but a swap of positions. What if the 3B is positioned between the SS and the 2B for six straight batters covering two full innings? To me the infielders from L to R are the 3B, the SS, the 2B and the 1B, in that order, at the time the pitch is delivered, no matter where they were on the previous pitch or the subsequent pitch. I'll accede to the authority of the scorer, but my opinion is that the current protocol on this matter is wrong and should be changed.

I understand what you are saying that with the shift, Sano would become the SS and Polanco the 3B.But on the Scorecard Sano is list as the 3B and Polanco as the SS.So if you scored an out by a shifted 3B as 6-3 instead of 5-3, when someone goes back and reads the scorecard without being there they would assume that Polanco fielded the ball and not Sano.If you include the hit location along with the 5-3 out it would be obvious that it was a shifted infield.

#23 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

I understand what you are saying that with the shift, Sano would become the SS and Polanco the 3B.But on the Scorecard Sano is list as the 3B and Polanco as the SS.So if you scored an out by a shifted 3B as 6-3 instead of 5-3, when someone goes back and reads the scorecard without being there they would assume that Polanco fielded the ball and not Sano.If you include the hit location along with the 5-3 out it would be obvious that it was a shifted infield.

Well, of course it would have to be noted on the scorecard that they swapped positions. It's the same principle as on Sunday in Anaheim when Sano shifted from 1B to 3B when Mauer took over at 1B in the ninth inning.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#24 stewthornley

stewthornley

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:16 PM

Maybe so, but I was never deported back to the upper deck.

Good for you for finding the sanctuary section.

• spinowner likes this

#25 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

We've always joked about pulling the catcher with less than 2 strikes and no one on base. Extra in or outfielder... in catchers gear... Then move back behind the plate when the count reaches two strikes or a runner reaches.

Also, the umpire would be struck by almost every strike...
  • glunn and Oldgoat_MN like this

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

El Rudo

• Twins Mods
  • 14,999 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

We've always joked about pulling the catcher with less than 2 strikes and no one on base. Extra in or outfielder... in catchers gear... Then move back behind the plate when the count reaches two strikes or a runner reaches.

Also, the umpire would be struck by almost every strike...

This is a fun one. I scanned the official rules and there are many regulations on what the catcher must do. But I don't see where it's specified that a catcher must be employed.

• glunn likes this

If you have to travel on the Titanic, at least go first class.

#27 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

This is a fun one. I scanned the official rules and there are many regulations on what the catcher must do. But I don't see where it's specified that a catcher must be employed.

We also used to joke about how if every pitcher through every pitch straight at A-Roid after his 2nd PED suspension, how many times would he get hit before he just retired...  

This was during the recession when most of us didn't have jobs or lives.

• ashburyjohn and glunn like this

#28 Sarah

Sarah

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Bert Blyleven apparently has noticed that Dick Bremer likes to comment on official scoring during the telecasts because when Seager got a hit past Dozier last night Blyleven said, "I can't believe they called that an error on Dozier." When Bremer said "They did??" Blyleven said, "Just kidding."

• USAFChief and snepp like this

#29 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Ground ball right to Crawford at short. He can't get the ball out of his glove and doesn't even make a throw.

Hit.

Obviously.

How is this?

#30 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:26 AM

I've put the bat signal out for Stew for a story soon (although I imagine he's busy with the long homestand) so if you have any scoring questions, now might be a good time to post them.

#31 stewthornley

stewthornley

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

John is right.  I'll have a new article done after this homestand.  I think I've responded to most of the questions on this forum, but there was one about an infielder missing a pop up with the infield fly rule called and how I annotate it.

When the IFF rule is called and the ball is caught, as it usually is, I put in the usual P4 or P6 (whatever) and add I.F.  If it dropped, I'd probably write in something, such as IF dropped.  If a runner advance when the ball got away, it would probably be an error for the advancement.  If that happened, I'd call Elias Sports Bureau to confirm, but giving the player the put out for the infield fly and then adding an advancement error for letting the ball get away would seem reasonable.

#32 rghrbek

rghrbek

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 11:26 AM

Stew,

Were you able to see the bunt single awarded to Joe Mauer on Tuesday night at home vs. the White Sox? What were your impressions?

I thought that should have been an error.  

#33 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'd like to revisit the infield shift issue that was previously discussed. (Or I suppose it could be thought of as beating a dead horse.)
Hypothetical situation: extra inning game, no non-pitchers available. A player has to leave the game due to injury so the manager brings a pitcher in to play the outfield. A left handed batter (not Joe Mauer) is at the plate so the manager positions the pitcher in left field to minimize the likelihood that he'll have to make a play. The next batter is right handed so the manager shifts the pitcher to right field. Would the box score show that the pitcher (and the other corner outfielder) played both left field and right field? My assumption is that the answer is yes.
So my obvious question is: why that would be dealt with differently than a third baseman and a shortstop switching positions?

• USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#34 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

The ball hit right to Polanco that even hit his glove? Hit?

• Sconnie likes this

#35 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

There is no way that should be a triple for Kepler.

If Smith does even nothing but stand in one spot it's a single.

#36 stewthornley

stewthornley

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hi gang - I've been lazy, but I will get something new on the blog soon - Frazier's run-scoring triple play gives me some material.  Sorry I haven't responded, but I looked at some of the recent questions.  The only play I remember regarding these questions is the squibber (not a bunt) by Mauer.  I wasn't the official scorer that night.  The OS called it a hit and later changed it to an error on the pitcher.  I thought it was a 50-50.  The pitcher should have made that play.  He should have been able to field the ball cleanly with time to go to first for the out.  However, what he appeared to be doing was making a glove-flip to the first baseman.  Not real wise, and it didn't work.  However, that's what he decided to do.  Normally, I wouldn't give an error for a botched glove flip.  This doesn't fit totally into the "normally" category because he shouldn't have tried it.  But sometimes we have to go with what a fielder decides to do, unless it's really blatant.  That's why I say it's a 50-50, could have gone either way.

Send some more questions, and I'll try to be more diligent about checking this and responding.  By the way, when it's just venting with a series of "Why the fruck wasn't that an error?", I probably won't respond.  But go ahead with it anyway.

Thanks.  Stew

• notoriousgod71 likes this

#37 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:36 PM

Double switch / reentry Tuesday night.

Your thoughts. 

• jctwins likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#38 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

Here's one. Margot was awarded an RBI and a sacrifice fly on a play in which another baserunner was thrown out. I thought there was no RBI on double plays.

#39 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

Here's one. Margot was awarded an RBI and a sacrifice fly on a play in which another baserunner was thrown out. I thought there was no RBI on double plays.

I'm not an official scorer but I'm going to guess that in this case the second out of the double play occurred after the run scored and was not a force out. In cases where both outs of a double play are force outs there's no RBI.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#40 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

Last night with Castro on first in the 3rd, Barrios bunts.Myers charges and makes an errant throw to second which, to me, the runner would have been safe regardless.Could it have been ruled a sacrifice with an E-3 allowing the runners to advance instead of an E-3, thus charging Barrios with an bat?To me, Barrios was giving himself up and did his job.

• steve likes this