Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Timberwolves 2017 Offseason rumors

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#41 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Chris Paul to the Rockets in a trade. Reddick is almost certainly gone too (hopefully to MN), and it will be interesting to see where Blake Griffin goes. 

The Clippers just opened up another spot in the playoffs I would think.

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,288 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

https://fivethirtyei...s-timberwolves/

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#43 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,827 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

Wow I guess Rubio had no real trade value.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#44 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Wow I guess Rubio had no real trade value.

I think the whole point was to free up all of his cap space. That can only be done by getting picks instead of players.
I'd guess Rubio could have brought back some solid players but that didn't fit what they want to do with the money.

#45 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

It is entirely possible that they nailed this trade by signing Hill or Teague or trading for a perfect complementary piece (Beverly in LAC).

Of course, the Wolves could be playing a dangerous game of PG musical chairs and be left without any decent options. And then Rajon Rondo becomes a legitimate signing. Ick

This has been a crazy offseason so far and the Wolves arguably have 3 more moves to make. PG, backup wing and backup big. They need to find solid players at all 3 positions or else the Big(gish) Three that they have assembled will be for naught. 

One thing about Rubio is that he was only signed for 2 years and when his contract is up the Wolves might not have any cap space with Towns, Wiggins and Gorgui locked up (2 max contracts likely) and not to mention the possibility of a Butler extension (very unlikely but I can dream). They would almost have to resign Rubio to a longer contract and that probably isn't a great idea. If they sign Hill/Teague now then they don't have to worry about that issue (luxury tax will be an issue).

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#46 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:42 PM

And then there was Teague

https://www.canishoo...o-tom-thibodeau

It looks like the Wolves are winning this offseason with these moves. Teague is a better fit for the offense. Not perfect but better and they picked up an okay-ish draft pick (when they likely lose theirs).

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#47 BeenHazy

BeenHazy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

Tweet from Frank Isola of the NY Daily News:

"Source close to free agent Paul Millsap says Denver and Minnesota have emerged as frontrunners."

I doubt the Wolves have enough cap left to grab Millsap on July 6th, but you never know.  The good thing about getting Teague (reported 3y/57M) instead of Lowry is it leaves enough space for the Wolves to be one of the best teams that can make a decent offer after the first wave is done, for good players who fall through the cracks.

Edited by BeenHazy, 30 June 2017 - 10:25 PM.

#48 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

I am not sure the Wolves would have enough cap room if they signed Millsap and dumped Dieng for no salary. Yes, theoretically enough but they still have a roster to fill out.

#49 BeenHazy

BeenHazy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMilford

Posted 30 June 2017 - 11:04 PM

They could use the OKC 1st to disappear Aldrich somewhere, leaving just shy of $20M I think.  If Millsap wants to reunite with Teague and is only getting offers in the 20-22M range from inferior teams that might be enough.  A guy can dream.  Bench is Dieng, Bjelica, Tyus, and a veteran minimum wing...not ideal but worth it for that starting five.

• bluechipper likes this

#50 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:39 AM

Paul Milsap is meeting with the Wolves today. If not him, it sounds like there is mutual interest with JJ Redick. What an offseason this has been.

#51 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:40 AM

Also, the West is ridiculously good.

#52 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,827 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 06:38 PM

Reddick signed for $23 million for ONE!!! Year.

Wow, what a deal for him.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#53 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Also, the West is ridiculously good.

Yes, the East could still salvage the offseason if Hayward moves to Boston and Lowry/Ibaka both stay in Toronto. Both of those would be competitive teams out west but probably battling for the 3rd-6th spots. After that it will take an offseason miracle to turn anyone else into a legit team. Wizards have a little potential.

I still don't really agree with the pursuit of Millsap. He is great but it will come at the expense of anything resembling a bench. I would much rather collect 2-3 good bench pieces (and not trade any picks or Patton to jettison Aldrich) like CJ Miles, Tucker, Patterson, Ingles, Korver, Gibson, etc...

Should the Wolves focus on defense or outside shooting with their remaining acquisitions? For the prices they can pay (if they want 3 pieces) then they probably aren't getting both. I would love to see an outside gunner but I think I prefer adding a couple of blue collar defenders like Tucker (still shot 35% on 2.2 att/gm).

#54 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

Reddick signed for $23 million for ONE!!! Year.

Wow, what a deal for him.

I have no idea what to think of Philly. There is a lot of talent there. It reminds me of the over optimism of the Wolves last year but I want to say they could win 35+ games in the East. Or more.

Of course the main issue will be Embid and Simmons's health. If those guys only play 25 min/gm for 50 games then a lot of that enthusiasm is gone.

#55 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:19 AM

Taj Gibson for 2 years $28M. I really like the signing, but only about $4M left in cap room and still some holes to fill on the wing.
  • kab21 likes this

#56 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

They got one of my guys that I wanted. I am not sure what to think about that price though. Seems pretty expensive for Taj or at least more than I expected.

By my count the Wolves had 18M in salary cap space (counting Patton but not counting Muhammad). Taj just used 14M of it. That isn't buying much of a backup wing. Like either Muhammad or Rush but not both.

• bluechipper likes this

#57 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

I have no idea what to think of Philly. There is a lot of talent there. It reminds me of the over optimism of the Wolves last year but I want to say they could win 35+ games in the East. Or more.
Of course the main issue will be Embid and Simmons's health. If those guys only play 25 min/gm for 50 games then a lot of that enthusiasm is gone.

I'm guessing that's a playoff team. The Bulls, Hawks, and Pacers are playoff teams that got a lot worse.

#58 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,827 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:34 AM

They can create more cap room by dumping Aldrich, do that and you have 12 million to play with, which should be plenty to bring in a couple role players.
  • bluechipper likes this

#59 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,685 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:15 AM

They can create more cap room by dumping Aldrich, do that and you have 12 million to play with, which should be plenty to bring in a couple role players.

I would be hesitant to start including 1st rd picks (Patton or in the future) to make that happen though. It is nice to have a steady influx of young players that can develop in something (even role players). Or an asset that you can toss into a deadline trade.

They should have mid level exception to use. I think. That gets them a solid wing player and the 4M (and possibly the smaller exception) to fill out the bench. But even with those there are going to be a couple UDFA earning min contracts I think.

• bluechipper likes this

#60 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:33 AM

Shabazz is now an unrestricted free agent.

Paul Milsap signed for 3 years, $90M with Denver. The West just keeps on adding players.