Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Timberwolves 2017 Offseason rumors

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 4,205 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

Looks like Justin Patton. 

#22 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

This starting five definitely makes the Wolves no.1 in the central, and possibly makes them the second best in the conference. Hallelujah, holy ****. Where's the Tylenol?

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#23 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 22 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

Great move, but still need a defensive center and couple of 3 point shooters to really compete.

#24 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

Great move, but still need a defensive center and couple of 3 point shooters to really compete.

JJ Reddick, anyone?
  • bluechipper and SF Twins Fan like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#25 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

Best of all the Wolves should have plenty of salary cap room to add some complementary players as well. They certainly need a couple to have an NBA level second string. Right now they have Jones and Bjelica and a toolsy center draft pick

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,584 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 08:59 PM

I'm not a great basketball mind, but don't you need at least one perimeter shooter in your starting five? It doesn't seem like a 10-12 minute per game bench guy is going to be taking enough threes to make a difference.

#27 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:28 PM

I'm not a great basketball mind, but don't you need at least one perimeter shooter in your starting five? It doesn't seem like a 10-12 minute per game bench guy is going to be taking enough threes to make a difference.

This is the big issue facing the Wolves but it is helped by having a center that can shoot 3's. Patton looks interesting with some potential but I was hoping the Wolves could move more towards small ball 4 that could shoot 3's as a backup big (Bjelica?).

Any wing they get will probably be a 20-25 min/gm option to hoist up some 3's.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#28 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:26 PM

So the Spurs are rumored to be shopping Danny Green. The price is high. Like Justin Patton high? Go get him and then sign a big that is a competent defender with an outside shot (3's are better but hard to find).

#29 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

In theory, it's kind of a Faustian Bargain. You'd love to replace Rubio or Dieng in the starting lineup with a better shooter. But Rubio and Dieng are also the two guys who spearhead your defense, Rubio on the perimeter and Dieng as the rim protector. You kind of hope Jones and Bjellica can take on a few more minutes and then add a really good wing shooter. 

It's not perfect. But it's good enough to get to the point where Golden State exposes your flaws in the playoffs next year--which is progress.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,979 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:57 AM

I don't know much about the NBA, but this trade looks like a steal right now.

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#31 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Great deal for the Wolves. I will miss Zach LaVine, but you have to give up good players to get good players. Getting the #16 pick was a gift.

#32 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

The Wolves have also signed 3 really interesting undrafted rookies. VJ Beachum: one of the best shooters in the draft, Charles Cook: an all-around wing, and the most interesting is Deonte Burton, a 6'5" undersized PF from Iowa State. He's a great athlete and can do everything, was a big mismatch in college.

#33 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:36 AM

I'm a big Burton fan. He will be a solid role player I think.
  • bluechipper likes this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#34 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

I'm a big Burton fan. He will be a solid role player I think.

I agree, especially with the new 2-way contracts and the Wolves lack of depth at the wing, I would think he's got a good chance.

#35 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:06 PM

Going after Kyle Lowry makes no sense. If the Wolves do that then they will have absolutely no bench at all.

https://www.hoopsrum...ree-others.html

Targeting a lower priced (still likely more than Rubio) option like Hill or Teague (or Beverly if the Rockets try to get additional cap room) is an interesting path. Pick up a 3 point shooter at the point to complement Wiggins/Butler on the wings. I am a big Rubio fan but this could potentially work out for the better. Rubio would be sent packing (many happy fans). Perhaps they could still get the Knicks pick Ntilikina (an asset) for him.

Still need to get some bench players or else this will turn into a Thibs killing the starters story again. I think the narrative lacks a little substance but if there aren't NBA capable players as options then the starters are going to play the entire game.

• ALessKosherScott and bluechipper like this

#36 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,745 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

I think with Wiggins, he was much, much more raw coming into the league than people thought. He really could get to the rim, and...yeah.

In his pro time, he's taken huge strides in defense and his outside, spot up shooting. A fellow scouting type and basketball fan compared it to a baseball player who has 30-35 present value tools across the board, but has the legit talent to have a future value of 70-75 in every tool, leaving plenty of possible failure, but also plenty of ceiling.

I'd say in those respects, his defense has probably moved to a 50 (league average) and he has shown very good improvement in his zone defense work, and his outside shooting has moved from a likely 30 when he entered the league to a 45ish currently.

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#37 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

I'd still try to trade for Porzingis

Offer up:
Rubio
Dieng
1st round 2018 pick
And go from there.

At that stage you go out and get Hill or Lowry (you'd have a ton of cap room) to Man the point. You know thibs is going to go get Derrick Rose on the cheap as well.

Sign JJ Reddick and call it an offseason for now.

Lowry/Hill/Beverly
Wiggins
butler
Porzingis
KAT

Bench:
Rose
Reddick
Burton
The kid they just drafted in the first round.

That's a title contending team boys and girls.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#38 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Going after Kyle Lowry makes no sense. If the Wolves do that then they will have absolutely no bench at all.

https://www.hoopsrum...ree-others.html

Targeting a lower priced (still likely more than Rubio) option like Hill or Teague (or Beverly if the Rockets try to get additional cap room) is an interesting path. Pick up a 3 point shooter at the point to complement Wiggins/Butler on the wings. I am a big Rubio fan but this could potentially work out for the better. Rubio would be sent packing (many happy fans). Perhaps they could still get the Knicks pick Ntilikina (an asset) for him.

Still need to get some bench players or else this will turn into a Thibs killing the starters story again. I think the narrative lacks a little substance but if there aren't NBA capable players as options then the starters are going to play the entire game.

Holiday being number two on that least kind of leads me to believe a trade for Beverley would fit into what Thibs is trying to do, which also kind of makes sense. A ball-dominant PG like Rubio may not exactly work well with a ball dominant small forward like Butler. So he's heading toward 3&D point guard options, which happily precludes Rose. 

• kab21 likes this

#39 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:54 PM

CP3. Find a way

#40 akmanak

akmanak

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:45 PM

I still cant believe we ended up landing Butler. We need a little more depth and think we will find that with the amount of cap space we have.

I just want to see this team in a playoff spot. We have had a pretty bad drought.