Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Twins vs Rays, 08-12-2012, 1:10pm

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

Twins:
Denard Span CF

Ben Revere RF
Joe Mauer C
Josh Willingham DH
Justin Morneau 1B
Ryan Doumit LF
Alexi Casilla 2B
Brian Dozier SS
Jamey Carroll 3B
(Scott Diamond P)

Rays:
Jennings LF
Upton CF
Zobrist RF
Longoria DH
Keppinger 3B
Pena 1B
Roberts 2B
Rodriguez SS
Lobaton C
(Shields P)

#2 fatbeer

fatbeer

Banned

• Banned
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Batting 10th and Catching Drew Butera

#3 fatbeer

fatbeer

Banned

• Banned
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Dougout box seats for $15!!! I love rain

#4 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

Is Doumit in LF? (You've got two catchers listed)
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Hah, RotoWorld didn't get the lineups right... I'll see if I can't find another source.

#6 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

Yep, Doumit is in left, Bollinger's tweet.

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Good God. Just walk Jennings.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Damn, already trailing.

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Pavano scheduled to pitch for Ft Myers today (3 innings) followed by Gibson (2-3 innings) rained out, with an offday Monday.....cannot catch a break. Dont think we'll see Carl before Sept.....more Blackburn

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Morneau......finished, lol!!!

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,893 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Huge glove save by Diamond!!!....Ken Dryden would be proud!

#12 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm not big on bunting but that was a pretty nice attempt by Revere.

#13 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

Big Canadian started out 8-80 off lefties.....20-50 since with .500slgg Since July 1 (before today) 32gms .....43/128 (.336BAve w/.523slgg) 5hr 21rbi finishes strong.....can we get something good for him this offseason???

#14 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

The Rays are a small market team yet always seem to have better pitching than the Twins. Is this a matter of better scouting, better player development or something else?

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,050 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:13 PM

The Rays are a small market team yet always seem to have better pitching than the Twins.

Is this a matter of better scouting, better player development or something else?

The Rays are a great organization and have done a fantastic job at almost every level.

But remember that their success is recent. They had a decade of picking in the top five every season. During that same period, the Twins rarely drafted higher than 15th. I'm not discounting the Rays' success but the real test will be their player development on the guys they draft when they had to pick 20th or later in the draft every June. Since Price was taken with the first overall pick in 2007, Tampa Bay has not had a drafted player contribute to their major league team. Not entirely unexpected but still something to consider.

#16 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

The Rays are a small market team yet always seem to have better pitching than the Twins.

Is this a matter of better scouting, better player development or something else?

they've also focused on it...their regular lineup hasnt always been the greatest. Pieced the lineup together for the most part over their run....Crawford/Longo are/were ALL Stars, but other than that Madden has shown his brilliance by putting pieces together.

#17 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yes.

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

they've also focused on it...their regular lineup hasnt always been the greatest. Pieced the lineup together for the most part over their run....Crawford/Longo are/were ALL Stars, but other than that Madden has shown his brilliance by putting pieces together.

But...but...managers make virtually no difference to the W-L record.../s(n)arc

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

The Rays are a great organization and have done a fantastic job at almost every level.

But remember that their success is recent. They had a decade of picking in the top five every season. During that same period, the Twins rarely drafted higher than 15th. I'm not discounting the Rays' success but the real test will be their player development on the guys they draft when they had to pick 20th or later in the draft every June. Since Price was taken with the first overall pick in 2007, Tampa Bay has not had a drafted player contribute to their major league team. Not entirely unexpected but still something to consider.

I think it was the TV guys who mentioned coming into this series that the Rays take pride in developing their own and that they were on a streak of 234 consecutive games starting their own signed players.

#20 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

Why did Span leave the game?

#21 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Sac fly anyone????

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

I love this site. Every question yields good answers. Thanks, guys.

#23 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Span out with shoulder injury.

#24 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

Did it look serious?

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

I was sarcastic in my response to your question, but it can't be emphasized enough how good the Rays are at what they do. They play in a horrible park in a horribly indifferent to baseball (finished last, or next to last, in attendance in 7 of the last 10 years) market while trying to compete in the best division in baseball- and have put together a pretty decent track record in the W-L department despite what they're up against. As I've said for years, raiding their scouting/player development departments for talent should be as much a priority as finding players.

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

Did it look serious?

No, it looked a little clumsy. How many watching the play immediately thought: "Span day-to-day for 10 days and then, Parmelee gets the call-up"?

#27 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

I was sarcastic in my response to your question, but it can't be emphasized enough how good the Rays are at what they do. They play in a horrible park in a horribly indifferent to baseball (finished last, or next to last, in attendance in 7 of the last 10 years) market while trying to compete in the best division in baseball- and have put together a pretty decent track record in the W-L department despite what they're up against. As I've said for years, raiding their scouting/player development departments for talent should be as much a priority as finding players.

Understood. And, jokin, I have learned a lot from your posts and am sympathetic with why you are sometimes sarcastic.

Also, I have been wondering the same thing. Why not try to hire some of their scouting and development guys? If there was ever a time to consider some new blood,this seems like it. I would think that for a fraction of the $3 million that was spent on Marquis, the Twins could bring in people with proven track records for teams that built through the draft and through player development.

New blood brings new ideas and insights. Also, the cost seems minimal compared to the benefit of home-growing a pitching staff that is similar that that of the Rays and the Athletics, who seem to be able to consistently grow starters who are above average. I would think that this would appeal to the Pohlads' desire to be economically efficient. Each home grown starter who pitches for 5 years in the majors would eliminate the need for a Marquis or a Pavano for 5 years.

#28 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

I would really like to win this in the 10th. My dog needs a walk and my wife wants to go for a swim. And a loss will result in further baseball related depression. C'mon Alex.

#29 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Oh my stars...

#30 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Oh my stars...

That inning totally sucked.