Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Part 4: Seth's Midseason Top 40 Twins Prospects (11-15)

daniel palka felix jorge mitch garver zack granite jermaine palacios
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,603 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

Jorge is a guy that interests me. He seems to throw pretty hard and have at least solid secondary stuff. He seems to have good control and has been a model of consistency the past couple of years. I've even read reports from teammates and the such that he's got solid/good stuff. So why aren't his SO numbers better?
  • birdwatcher and bluechipper like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

After reading about Palka, and following other top prospects, perhaps Twins Daily should change their name to:

"Unfortunately, he is now on the DL "
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#23 Shaitan

Shaitan

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

I've never seen a call for a third catcher before under the guise that it "adds flexibility" to the roster.

Man, this team needs some reliable arms so they can downsize the bullpen and get a real bench.

#24 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Jorge is a guy that interests me. He seems to throw pretty hard and have at least solid secondary stuff. He seems to have good control and has been a model of consistency the past couple of years. I've even read reports from teammates and the such that he's got solid/good stuff. So why aren't his SO numbers better?

There are a lot of factors in pitcher success. Jorge obviously doesn't fool opposing hitters, whether its because his delivery isn't deceptive, his secondary pitches are easy to pick up, or whatever reason or combination of reasons. 

The bottom line is that starters who can't strike guys out in the minors cannot start in the Majors. It just doesn't happen. Jorge's only chance at the Major League level is to move to the bullpen in the hopes that his stuff improves significantly during short stints.

There's no harm in starting him in the meantime - most MLB relievers started games in the minors.

On the other hand, that means his prospect value is limited . . . Seth has him 10 spots or so too high.

Edited by drivlikejehu, 31 May 2017 - 06:10 PM.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

After reading about Palka, and following other top prospects, perhaps Twins Daily should change their name to:

"Unfortunately, he is now on the DL "

or maybe Twins DaiLy

• ashburyjohn and caninatl04 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: daniel palka, felix jorge, mitch garver, zack granite, jermaine palacios