Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

August 10th Post Game Video: Home Run Derby, Fireworks

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

I went to the game last night. It was Joe Mauer sideburns night, so plenty of people were donning the fake sideburns (some as mustaches, some as Groucho Marx style eyebrows.)

JoeMauer-Sideburns.jpg

The Twins got whipped by the Rays. After the game they had some big time slow pitch softball players put on an home run hitting exhibition. We were sitting in the 2nd row of the 2nd deck of the Home Run Porch in left field--prime seats for catching home run balls. After the game there was some fireworks.

I took some video and uploaded it to YouTube

Unfortunately, the battery in my phone was really depleted so I didn't get some of the really good shots of home runs coming at us. From our vantage point the ball starts out as a pinprick and grows larger and larger as it approaches us. I did get some good video clips of guys making bare handed catches and catches with baseball gloves. Too bad Hrbek muffed his play. TC Bear made his catch. It's pretty cool to see that ball come all the way from home plate and end up a few feet away from you. During the fireworks the phone battery was on life support and during the grand finale the audio track was shut down (boo!).
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]