Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Eddie Rosario's leash

eddie rosario zach granite daniel palka lamonte wade
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#41 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:33 PM

A good manager would sit him for a few games and ask him if he wants to be in the major leagues. He's a talented guy, but the mental mistakes are just ridiculous.

A manager trying to keep his job probably wouldn't.

It will be interesting to see if Molitor changes his ways now that the FO has thrown up the white flag. Will he sacrifice player development in order to try to squeeze out an extra win? Those are the kinds of things the FO will notice as well.

#42 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:50 PM

A manager trying to keep his job probably wouldn't.

It will be interesting to see if Molitor changes his ways now that the FO has thrown up the white flag. Will he sacrifice player development in order to try to squeeze out an extra win? Those are the kinds of things the FO will notice as well.

I don't agree. If I was this FO, and he came to me with a plan to motivate Eddie to mature as a player (not person, I don't know him from you), that included sitting him, my evaluation of Molitor would improve....

• gunnarthor and big dog like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#43 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 02:05 PM

Maybe having Grossman play left while Eddie dh's might be demeaning enough to open his eyes.

#44 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:12 PM

Rosario will be fine.

Just want to remind the doubters.  Eddie has something. Does he occasionally do stupid things - yes. But as he matures we are seeing less of that. He is a ballplayer. :) 

• PopRiveter, Oldgoat_MN, jun and 3 others like this

#45 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

Just want to remind the doubters. Eddie has something. Does he occasionally do stupid things - yes. But as he matures we are seeing less of that. He is a ballplayer. :)

Eddie has improved big time at the plate this year.
But the other part I can't agree with. I've actually seen him do more stupid stuff this year than previous years.
When it comes to mental awareness on the bases and on defense, he actually seems to me to be getting worse, not better.

#46 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

Just want to remind the doubters.  Eddie has something. Does he occasionally do stupid things - yes. But as he matures we are seeing less of that. He is a ballplayer. :)

Lesson learned! 

Spoiler

Edited by Doomtints, 11 August 2017 - 06:29 PM.

• luckylager and dbminn like this

#47 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

Eddie has improved big time at the plate this year.
But the other part I can't agree with. I've actually seen him do more stupid stuff this year than previous years.
When it comes to mental awareness on the bases and on defense, he actually seems to me to be getting worse, not better.

I

Lesson learned! 

Spoiler

I think there have been fewer mental errors as the season has played out.Eddie is definitely high strung. I really believe that once he settles down he is going a hell of a ballplayer.  

#48 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:46 PM

With his hitting ability, I can easily see future Rosario being in some AL top ten list in hitting average. He has been the Twins top average hitter since July of 2016 with an OPS over 800 during that time. Probably never see him among OBP leaders. But just as he faked the pitcher into a balk leading to the winning run the other day, I think he is still trying to figure out wht he can do in this game. Moliter is also not so fast to bench him for a couple games after a brain fart. I am not sure if hat is good or bad.

#49 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Molitor likes aggressive play so he does give  Rosario a longer leash

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#50 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

Rosario will be in LF next year - count on it.  Too much anxiety and new metircs angst.  He will be fine and he will start there next year. 

• luckylager, adorduan and Doomtints like this

#51 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

If you want a laugh, go look at Rosario's career numbers and then filter Torii Hunter's numbers through his age 25 season.

Players sometimes improve as they age through their 20s, strangely enough. Who knew?
  • iTwins, luckylager, adorduan and 2 others like this

#52 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,724 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Barring injury, it's going to be very difficult to find three better guys than Rosario, Buxton and Kepler in the outfield. Of the three, Rosario has the strongest arm, the most dangerous bat, and is the only one to harry a major league pitcher into a run-scoring balk. 

Meanwhile, there isn't a team in the league that wouldn't want Eddie Rosario in their lineup. That includes the Dodgers. There may have been a "leash" early in the season, but no more. Rosario is riding a wave of confidence right now. He's playing some of the best ball in the league.

• luckylager, PopRiveter, jun and 2 others like this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#53 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:48 AM

As of the last few months, Eddie has been the best hitter on the team, period. I've always liked him. All through the minors he posted good and sometimes great numbers and all we heard was about Buxton and Sano. Rosario seldom got his due, IMHO. His improvement at the plate this year has been significant in almost every way.

An occasional brain fart? Sure, but mostly because he's being aggressive.

#54 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

Can hardly believe there is an entire Eddie Rosario thread here I haven't weighed in on.

Slash lines by month:

April ..... .268/..294/.366 (.660)

May ...... .269/.310/.500 (.810)

June...... .291/.341/.519 (.860)

July ...... .321/.370/.488 (.858)

August.. .356/.388/.756 (1.143) (49 PA so far this month)

There is no team in baseball that would not have Eddie starting in their OF if they had the chance. Career year? Possibly. But the slow and steady improvement he has shown this year has really been inspiring.

I'll take him as our starting left fielder. Absolutely.

Edited by Oldgoat_MN, 14 August 2017 - 05:52 AM.

• luckylager, pbrezeasap, Loosey and 4 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#55 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,759 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:37 AM

Can hardly believe there is an entire Eddie Rosario thread here I haven't weighed in on.

Slash lines by month:

April ..... .268/..294/.366 (.660)

May ...... .269/.310/.500 (.810)

June...... .291/.341/.519 (.860)

July ...... .321/.370/.488 (.858)

August.. .356/.388/.756 (1.143) (49 PA so far this month)

There is no team in baseball that would not have Eddie starting in their OF if they had the chance. Career year? Possibly. But the slow and steady improvement he has shown this year has really been inspiring.

I'll take him as our starting left fielder. Absolutely.

Given his age, I think it's a bit too soon to assume career year. As was noted at the beginning of the season, his peripherals are trending in the right direction. I think we're seeing the results. He certainly won't be a 1.000 OPS hitter, but to think he couldn't maintain an OPS over .800 with consistency would be selling him short.

• Mike Frasier Law, brvama and Oldgoat_MN like this

#56 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:22 AM

It's great to see Rosario figuring it out at the plate.
The problem is, this year anyways, he's giving almost all of it back in the outfield, and on the bases(5/11 in sb attempts, yikes!).
Despite his offensive accomplishments this year, he's still accumulated less than 1 bWAR on the season.
Im not going to look at every teams corner OF, but I'm still going to have to respectfully disagree that there aren't teams that can do better than 1 bWAR at each corner OF spot, and probably several, I'd imagine.

#57 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

Rosario is hitting a lot better than I expected, but is nothing special for a DH.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#58 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,036 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

It's great to see Rosario figuring it out at the plate.
The problem is, this year anyways, he's giving almost all of it back in the outfield, and on the bases(5/11 in sb attempts, yikes!).
Despite his offensive accomplishments this year, he's still accumulated less than 1 bWAR on the season.
Im not going to look at every teams corner OF, but I'm still going to have to respectfully disagree that there aren't teams that can do better than 1 bWAR at each corner OF spot, and probably several, I'd imagine.

This is what most have failed to realize. The improvements at the plate are great but he's taken most of it away with his bad defense and poor decision making. 

#59 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

A starter, please.

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

Eddie Rosario does not have a 'green light'.

Those times he was caught stealing are because his manager thinks everyone who can run faster than Jim Thome should be able to steal bases at will.

It doesn't really work that way.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#60 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,087 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

Eddie Rosario does not have a 'green light'.
Those times he was caught stealing are because his manager thinks everyone who can run faster than Jim Thome should be able to steal bases at will.
It doesn't really work that way.

He only has 11 attempts all year. That doesn't sound like a case of a manager sending him Willy nilly at every chance he gets.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, zach granite, daniel palka, lamonte wade