Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Eddie Rosario's leash

eddie rosario zach granite daniel palka lamonte wade
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

Rosario just walked against Tillman so his OBP is up but a few minutes ago it was .273.  How long is the leash? We love having an outfield that catches everything so you need to replace his defense.  Would Zach Granite be an option?  He has less power than Rosario but reports say that the defense is very solid, he could fill in at CF and he is really fast.  How about bringing up Palka and then you play Grossman as the primary LF?  Defense goes down but OBP goes way up.  Is Lamonte Wade out of the question?  

Edited by Steve Penz, 24 May 2017 - 11:05 AM.

#2 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

Rosario will be fine.

• Blake, Deduno Abides, Broker and 2 others like this

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

I'm far from sold on Rosario as an every day regular but his BABIP is still .030 below his career line. He gets until the break to see how/when/if he normalizes.

• birdwatcher, jimbo92107, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this

#4 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:24 AM

He's been inconsistent. But he has shown life. With all the young guys on the team, it's sometimes easy to forget that he really is one of them at only 25. The first couple weeks were pretty bad. The last week or so also. But in between he was fairly productive. He's never going to be a high obp guy IMO. Not everyone is going to be a star. Some guys are merely good enough to play. That's how I see Rosario. Maybe in a year or so Wade supplants him. I think Granite's ceiling is 4th outfielder. I don't know that either will be better than Rosario, but the reality is that mid market teams often let the so so player go, gambling that they can replace him cheaper. That way they can afford to pay the players they want to build around.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#5 Bill

Bill

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:30 AM

According the Fangraphs, Rosario swings at 58.8% of all pitches he sees, which is tied for the highest percentage in the majors among batters with at least 100 PAs. His O Swing % is 41.7%, tied for 6th highest.

He swings too much, and he swings at bad pitches too much.

The Twins should give him the take sign alot.

Edited by Bill, 24 May 2017 - 11:31 AM.

• birdwatcher and JustinCB like this

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

I'm getting frustrated with Rosario.Unless he's making game saving plays on defense that I'm not aware of, they're winning in spite of him, not because of him. .273 OBP on a team with a .334 OBP overall. He needs to step it up soon or give one of the other LH hitting corner bats a shot. God knows we have alternatives.

• rghrbek, Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

Rosario will be fine.

Based on what? 

• JustinCB, rghrbek and wsnydes like this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#8 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Way, way too early to give up a 25yo athlete like Rosario who can do it all but needs time to develop. He will always be a bit of a bad ball hitter, but some guys just are. He will never be a great OB guy, but will probably normalize above .300 somewhere. He plays great defense, has power, has speed, seems to have solid instincts and is still learning.

To me he has the whole season. Granite is a nice looking player but isn't ready yet, IMO. I think Wade could be very good and I'm liking various comparisons to Matt Lawton as a player. He also is not ready.

Rosario should get the whole season to show what he can do and what he may become. Inconsistencies from such a talented young player are something you are patient with.
  • birdwatcher, brvama and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Way, way too early to give up a 25yo athlete like Rosario who can do it all but needs time to develop. He will always be a bit of a bad ball hitter, but some guys just are. He will never be a great OB guy, but will probably normalize above .300 somewhere. He plays great defense, has power, has speed, seems to have solid instincts and is still learning.

To me he has the whole season. Granite is a nice looking player but isn't ready yet, IMO. I think Wade could be very good and I'm liking various comparisons to Matt Lawton as a player. He also is not ready.

Rosario should get the whole season to show what he can do and what he may become. Inconsistencies from such a talented young player are something you are patient with.

Is it true he is inconsistent? He has always swung at too many pitches he can't hit, and he has always walked to little, and he's always played good defense. What part is inconsistent year over year?

He should be the starter this year, but if I'm the FO, I'm very interested in Wade and Granite for sure, because Eddie has shown not growth in his approach, in year three now.

• USAFChief and rghrbek like this

#10 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 9,012 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

I'm getting frustrated with Rosario.Unless he's making game saving plays on defense that I'm not aware of, they're winning in spite of him, not because of him. .273 OBP on a team with a .334 OBP overall. He needs to step it up soon or give one of the other LH hitting corner bats a shot. God knows we have alternatives.

Yeah I'm with you... He's looking more and more like a 4th OF/platoon bat. 

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,879 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:50 AM

Is it true he is inconsistent? He has always swung at too many pitches he can't hit, and he has always walked to little, and he's always played good defense. What part is inconsistent year over year?

He should be the starter this year, but if I'm the FO, I'm very interested in Wade and Granite for sure, because Eddie has shown not growth in his approach, in year three now.

The approach has been pretty consistent. The results have not been. Pretty much same story with Dozier really, albeit on a higher plane.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

The approach has been pretty consistent. The results have not been. Pretty much same story with Dozier really, albeit on a higher plane.

The approach plus luck produces the results. If he can't/won't change his approach, you are counting nearly 100% on luck for him to have value compared to other LFers. Counting on luck seems like a bad strategy to me.

#13 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

I'm guessing three things have already happened:

1) The coaches, once again, have been making Rosario sit down and go through the video of one AB after another, good and bad. They know his swing % and O%, and so does Rosario.

2) The field staff and FO have discussed their current assessments regarding the readiness and projections for Granite and Palka, probably Wade as well, and have concluded that, for the time being, the team is better off with Rosario and Grossman.

3) Their patience with Rosario's failure to adjust his approach is waning. It certainly wouldn't surprise me if, longer term, they expect Rosario to be a 4th OF on a championship-caliber team, either here or elsewhere.

Edited by birdwatcher, 24 May 2017 - 12:21 PM.

• USAFChief, Blake, Mike Sixel and 4 others like this

#14 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

Rosario can't hit MLB pitching. When he first came up, pitchers didn't know how to attack him, and he did OK (mediocre RC+ of 97).

His RC+ dropped in 2016 and has fallen further this year. He swings at everything and doesn't make good contact even on strikes. His defensive numbers have been sliding too. 

He's a decent enough athlete, but so are a ton of guys. I'm not convinced Rosario is even a 4th outfielder.

Edited by drivlikejehu, 24 May 2017 - 12:12 PM.

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#15 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,656 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:19 PM

I'd like to see him rest more against lefties but Brock is right - he's cut down his k-rate and his babip is below his career averages. It's too early to give up on him and I don't think we have a guy who is ready to replace him anyway.

• birdwatcher likes this

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,159 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

Rosario just walked against Tillman so his OBP is up but a few minutes ago it was .273.  How long is the leash? We love having an outfield that catches everything so you need to replace his defense.  Would Zach Granite be an option?  He has less power than Rosario but reports say that the defense is very solid, he could fill in at CF and he is really fast.  How about bringing up Palka and then you play Grossman as the primary LF?  Defense goes down but OBP goes way up.  Is Lamonte Wade out of the question?  

Sub "Buxton" for "Rosario" and let us know how do you feel about it? 

Fact: Buxton is hitting worse than Rosario at this point; so his leash should be shorter than Rosario's

Edited by Thrylos, 24 May 2017 - 12:35 PM.

• Steve Penz and Danchat like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

I'd like to see him rest more against lefties but Brock is right - he's cut down his k-rate and his babip is below his career averages. It's too early to give up on him and I don't think we have a guy who is ready to replace him anyway.

He cant rest, that's Kepler's job. Sigh.

• gunnarthor and nicksaviking like this

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:03 PM

He cant rest, that's Kepler's job. Sigh.

Heh, they've actually played the same number of games.

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,280 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

Heh, they've actually played the same number of games.

Really? Huh.

Seems like Kepler has been the platoon partner lately, but that might just be confirmation bias in action. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,530 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

Really? Huh.

Seems like Kepler has been the platoon partner lately, but that might just be confirmation bias in action. 

To be fair, I didn't check for games started, only games played. But I doubt the difference is large either direction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eddie rosario, zach granite, daniel palka, lamonte wade