Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kennys Vargas

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

IIRC, Vargas minor league history also indicates he is far better as a LH hitter. I heard someone from the Twins organization say that last year was a surprise because of the reverse of his splits. He looks much better LH this year for sure.

I looked at the numbers going back to 2013. Don't know if his numbers from A ball or lower have much relevance. Kind of a mixed bag. It looks like he definitely hits for more power left handed. But in some seasons he hit for a higher average right handed. That actually is the case at the MLB level. His ISO as a RHB is .150 ish and it is over .200 as a LHB.

Disclaimer: BR lumps minor and major league splits together in their minor league splits page.

#82 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

It takes so many plate appearances for slash stats to be reliable. Players just don't get enough at bats against lefties to give confidence that the data indicates a skill. In Vargas's case, the opposing pitcher's pitch mix probably matters more than his handedness.

#83 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:09 AM

I agree, keep him in the lineup, sit Mauer if necessary.

But for the record, the PH HR came on a change up.

Yep. I am aware that's what people said in the press. However, I looked at the film. You should too.

#84 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Yep. I am aware that's what people said in the press. However, I looked at the film. You should too.

What do you believe the pitch was?

Herrera throws a changeup with an average speed of 89.9mph.

The pitch to Vargas was 89.9mph.

Herrera's other average pitch speeds:

Fastball: 97.4mph

Slider: 86.2mph

Curve: 81.0mph but he hasn't thrown it this year according to FG

The way the ball looped, it looked like a changeup. It was either a typical changeup from Herrera or the worst looping slider he's ever thrown (and +3.8mph).

I'm not ruling out that it wasn't a changeup but it sure behaved like a changeup and was delivered at the speed of a Herrera changeup.

#85 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,831 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

if you can't recognize a changeup from watching the film, you could go find the post game interview, where Vargas says it was a changeup.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#86 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,728 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

if you can't recognize a changeup from watching the film, you could go find the post game interview, where Vargas says it was a changeup.

"History is written by the victors." - Winston Churchill. :)

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

If the first person on the phone can't answer your question, it's a bureaucracy.

#87 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

My 2 cents...which echoes a lot already said:

Vargas has looked solid at 1B this season, if not fine. SSS maybe, but he's not deficient.

He has proven in the past to hit well RH. But if he is ultimately better from the LH side, that's not a bad thing. He will SO on occasion but is not immune to BB. He has an idea at the plate and has big power.

Past history indicates he can and should hit better from the TH than he is so far this season. I don't object to a gut feeling to OH for anyone. But let him play and grow! You might have something Here!

Lastly, between OF, DH and 1B, there is plenty of room for Grossman, Vargas and Mayer to all play most days. This shouldn't be an issue, much less a problem

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown