Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kennys Vargas

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

Seems like he has been out of the lineup for awhile?? Switch hitting big guy would look nice right behind Sano on a more regular basis?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#2 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

Well they are trying to win games and Kenny isn't swinging great.

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:30 PM

He started yesterday.

#4 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,364 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:36 PM

IMO Vargas doesn't look like a guy who projects to be an everyday DH. He can be a solid bench bat, but I'm going to hold off until he is more consistent to complain about him not getting in the lineup everyday. Also defensively Mauer>>>>>>>Vargas by far.

Hopefully Park gets healthy ASAP
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, beckmt, Willihammer and 4 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#5 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

He hasnt shown he can be an everyday batter. He is still chasing the high fastball and needs to have more disipline at the plate.
  • LA VIkes Fan likes this

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:50 PM

He's a young player.  He needs to play 4-5 times a week and you need to ride out slumps from time to time.

We've gotta get over the demand for instant results.

• Brock Beauchamp, birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN and 6 others like this

#7 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:07 PM

I love how this topic starts today and Vargas just happens to get a pinch-hit HR to tie the game in the 9th on the same day.

Yeah, Vargas is going to have slumps and his batting average won't be great. But he's got plenty of pop in that bat - if he could start taking more walks and get that OBP up, I think he could be an alright DH.

• Shane Wahl, Oldgoat_MN and Twodogs like this

#8 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,615 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:43 PM

I don't think he's starting DH material, which limits his utility off the bench as well. The bat is great to have around but it's tough to carry him unless the starting DH can play in the field (aside from 1B).

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 16,680 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

I'm gonna stay consistent

Play him... The decision will be easy and based upon performance if Molitor plays him. 

Could be Good... Could be Bad... But none of us know unless you play him. 

• whydidnt, kab21, TheLeviathan and 7 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

#10 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

I love how this topic starts today and Vargas just happens to get a pinch-hit HR to tie the game in the 9th on the same day.

Yeah, Vargas is going to have slumps and his batting average won't be great. But he's got plenty of pop in that bat - if he could start taking more walks and get that OBP up, I think he could be an alright DH.

Wise

#11 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:15 PM

He hit a good one tonight but in no way does that show that he is at the point in being an everyday player.

#12 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 17,020 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:18 PM

I'd play him ahead of Mauer at this point.
  • Dr. Evil likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#13 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

I'd play him ahead of Mauer at this point.

Mauer is seeing the ball well and his defense is good.
  • Jerr likes this

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

15 HR's in his last 240 PA's ('16/'17) with inconsistent playing time. That sounds like exactly what you want from a DH imo. Just put him in the lineup 5/6 games/wk and see what happens.

• Jerr, Riverbrian, Oldgoat_MN and 5 others like this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#15 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

15 HR's in his last 240 PA's ('16/'17) with inconsistent playing time. That sounds like exactly what you want from a DH imo. Just put him in the lineup 5/6 games/wk and see what happens.

This. He is going to be frustrating at times but given enough at bats the extra base hits will accumulate. Plus the added playing time may help him prove his eye at the plate.
  • Riverbrian, TheLeviathan, HitInAPinch and 2 others like this

#16 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 07:24 AM

He is almost 27.  If he is going to have a career it is now.  Play him and let him sink or swim.  Then we will know if we should be looking at one of the minor league bats to replace him.  He has a 304 OBP and a 746 OPS - over 4 years.  Put him in and stay with him for a few weeks - we have done that with Buxton and Dozier this year despite neither of them shining with a bat.  Park is about to turn 31 in less than a month, he is not the answer.  

• Riverbrian, Dr. Evil and jud6312 like this

#17 mikecgrimes

mikecgrimes

• Members
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:17 AM

I really liked going into the year with a grand total of 1 exclusive DH/1B on the roster.Granted Grossman's.I like Vargas over Park, and Park has been awful so far in Triple A, but I'd prefer another player with some defensive skill, it's just hard to find anyone with HR power, but throughout a game and even in pinch hitting situations it's rare that a HR is so much better then a walk or a single.Vargas is what he is a very borderline major league player.

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 16,680 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

He hit a good one tonight but in no way does that show that he is at the point in being an everyday player.

If you took the Career Stats of Vargas and the career stats of Dozier and averaged the total to 162 games. There is very little difference in output.

http://www.baseball-...vargake01.shtml

http://www.baseball-...doziebr01.shtml

Yet Vargas gets labelled inconsistent and Dozier is labelled as crucial. This isn't a slam on Dozier... It's support of Vargas. 

Grossman, Kepler, Rosario, Buxton, Polanco... I love them all but has any of these players out produced Vargas at the plate? Ever? 

Has anybody actually seen Vargas be a butcher defensively at 1B or is he being judged against Mauer's really good defense or are people making size assumptions? I've watched a lot of games and Vargas isn't a defensive worry in my opinion. He's Ok enough. 

Paul Molitor has to get out of his way. 

• USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN, DocBauer and 4 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

#19 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,038 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

If you took the Career Stats of Vargas and the career stats of Dozier and averaged the total to 162 games. There is very little difference in output.

http://www.baseball-...vargake01.shtml

http://www.baseball-...doziebr01.shtml

Yet Vargas gets labelled inconsistent and Dozier is labelled as crucial. This isn't a slam on Dozier... It's support of Vargas. 

Grossman, Kepler, Rosario, Buxton, Polanco... I love them all but has any of these players out produced Vargas at the plate? Ever? 

Has anybody actually seen Vargas be a butcher defensively at 1B or is he being judged against Mauer's really good defense or are people making size assumptions? I've watched a lot of games and Vargas isn't a defensive worry in my opinion. He's Ok enough. 

Paul Molitor has to get out of his way. 

On defense, I think he's being judged by his size alone.

• Riverbrian, Oldgoat_MN and jud6312 like this

It's not my fault !

#20 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,364 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 20 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

Vargas is fine now for the DH spot, but it doesn't mean the Twins should stop looking to upgrade it. I wish they would have traded for Joey Gallo like I wanted them to!
  • HitInAPinch likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR