Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Innovative Bullpen Use

tyler duffey bullpen kintzler molitor
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

Duffey is one of those guys that is okay, until he approaches his second year of arbitration. Then you ask, how much is he worth paying.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#22 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,498 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

I think they shortchanged the Twins in this article.

http://www.espn.com/...n-not-televised

1.) Brandon Kintzler has been used for a 4 out save twice this year. That’s more than most teams in the majors and is especially bold because Kintzler is not that good.

2.) Tyler Duffey, though in the starting conversation in spring training, has been used in a very Andrew Miller-esque role this season. Past Twins teams would have used him as a long man when starters get beat up but Duffey has not entered a game where the Twins trailed by more than 2 and has only twice pitched in a game the Twins were up by 4 or more runs – he’s been used in high leverage roles. Duffey has pitched single innings at times and multiple innings at others. He comes in in the 5th of a close game and has pitched the 7th and 8th as a more traditional set-up man. Though he is arguably the Twins best reliever (I’d take him over Kintzler and though Craig Breslow has a lower ERA, he is still Craig Breslow) and has pitched the most innings.

I’m not sure I’d call Molitor an innovator but in today’s game where having a closer is pretty standard, he’s way closer to innovative than this article gives him credit. He’s not afraid to bring his closer into the 8th inning and Tyler Duffey belongs in the conversation of guys used like Andrew Miller was in the playoffs.

To me the Twins should be in that 25-27 range with the Rays, Dodgers and Red Sox. Thoughts?

The way the Twins are using Tyler Duffey is exactly the way they should use Tyler Jay, as soon as he's healthy enough to pitch. 

• Mike Sixel and ThejacKmp like this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tyler duffey, bullpen, kintzler, molitor