Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Game Thread: Twins v Royals, 5/19 @ 7:10pm CT

• Please log in to reply
372 replies to this topic

#41 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,692 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

I was honored with a Dakota Name: "Wakpa a aaka e paya"

It means "River Bull Crap" 

Topper: "I am callled Tookachinchilla.", Block: "What does that mean?", Topper: "Fluffy bunny feet."

• Blake and Riverbrian like this
“Segui il tuo corso et lascia dir le genti!” - Dante Alighieri.

#42 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I don't care how, just do it.

• Twins Mods
  • 10,299 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

I cultivated that necessity over 16 thousand posts. 

I have to declare when I am actually serious or it will be assumed I'm not.  

Seriousness has probably been applied to around 40 Posts of mine over the years. 

40?........more like 4.

• Blake, Riverbrian and wsnydes like this

#43 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,635 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

btw, the picture with the thread?

I've been growing a "beard" for almost two weeks now. It would end up looking like those if I kept going. I think I'll be shaving it off over the weekend. OTOH, I will be visiting my mom next week, and she hates when I don't shave, so it's tempting to keep it.

I say keep it, because it will distract mom from pointing out other problem areas. And, if you inadvertently say the wrong thing you can always holler "BEARD" to change the subject.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and Riverbrian like this

#44 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,919 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

I say keep it, because it will distract mom from pointing out other problem areas. And, if you inadvertently say the wrong thing you can always holler "BEARD" to change the subject.

Just make sure it's BEARD and not BREED... mom might get a little disturbed.

• birdwatcher, Blake, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#45 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Almost forgot.  Yesterday, my wife went to a meeting where Ron Darling spoke.  They gave out prizes and she ends up with a baseball signed by Ron Darling, Keith Hernandez, and "some other guy".  I ask who and she says "I don't know, but his signature looks like Santa Claus or something with an S".  I spend the day wondering who played with Hernandez and Darling and I can't figure out anything until she comes home with the baseball and I see the signature with the #34.  It's signed by Noah Syndergaard....uhm yeah...he's one of the best pitchers in the game. #Thor....her response - "oh, he has got to cut that hair, that's just unattractive".

• Blake, wavedog, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#46 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• Members
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:02 PM

That's sort of like being the "fastest slow runner." 

Not exactly a badge of honor.

Cheap beer has it's place. On a warm summer day, an ice cold Hamms is invigorating in a way a much fancier beer isn't. I'd like to see you play four games of beer pong and three games of flip cup with some Surly. I'd also like to see a poor college student get drunk on a Wednesday afternoon on a pricey IPA without turning to drug dealing and self-prostitution. That's right, Hamm's is a force for morality and a key cog in the war on drugs.

Here's a better analogy:

Being the best cheap beer is like being the fastest offensive lineman. You're not the fastest on the team but you're the fastest of a vital cog of the drinking team.
  • ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Blake and 5 others like this

#47 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,486 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

"both teams do not believe in reincarnation and they didn’t believe in reincarnation last time either."

what about the time before that?

• Riverbrian and spinowner like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#48 bighat

bighat

Sombrero Grande

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationGuatemala

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:14 PM

Twins runs scored the past 6 games:

1 - W
4  - W
3  - L
3  - L
1 -  L 

2 - W

That's an average of less than 2.5 runs per game over the past week.  Yuck.  On the bright side, the Twins have somehow managed to win half of these games!  Woah! 

Minnesota's in desperate need of one of those famous early-season 6 run innings tonight.  Let's warm up those bats, gang! 

Edited by bighat, 19 May 2017 - 01:14 PM.

• birdwatcher, Riverbrian and Oldgoat_MN like this

#49 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

In all seriousness. You would be fantastic at doing an opener at some time. You should give it a try. 

Is there any responsibility involved? 'Cause I've been trying to avoid responsibility for the last 13 years. Getting pretty good at it, too. Though my wife claims I've been mostly irresponsible for that last 33 years. I don't understand where she's coming from. I gave her four kids to take care of.

• USAFChief, Riverbrian, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#50 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,244 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Cheap beer has it's place. On a warm summer day, an ice cold Hamms is invigorating in a way a much fancier beer isn't. I'd like to see you play four games of beer pong and three games of flip cup with some Surly. I'd also like to see a poor college student get drunk on a Wednesday afternoon on a pricey IPA without turning to drug dealing and self-prostitution. That's right, Hamm's is a force for morality and a key cog in the war on drugs.

Here's a better analogy:

Being the best cheap beer is like being the fastest offensive lineman. You're not the fastest on the team but you're the fastest of a vital cog of the drinking team.

I have been told that over-analysis has been a chronic problem at Twins Daily, but honestly I'm not seeing it.

• USAFChief, birdwatcher, Jerr and 7 others like this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#51 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

Nobody.

• Members
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

40?........more like 4.

5 now.

And thanks for not calling me Sherlie.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#52 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:44 PM

Here's a better analogy:

Cheap beer does have its place. When a college student and too young to buy beer in Minnesota, a car load of us would throw our pocket change on the bar in Sioux Falls (again with the thread) and if we could come up with $1.99 we could buy a case of Bubs. Another $.29 would net us a roll of Rolaids, which proved to be a nice chaser. There's a lot of good things I could say about Bubs beer, but I can't remember any of them. It had the consistency of karo syrup, which gave you plenty of time to upright your beer if you accidentally tipped it over, and tasted like No. 2 diesel fuel cut with ammonia (don't ask me how I know that) but it got you where you wanted to go. The problem was by the time we finished the Bubs we no longer knew where we wanted to go. Or which one of us had the Rolaids.

I often wonder how I managed to graduate from college.

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#53 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,798 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

So let's say you order new furniture.... Is it normal to expect the company to pick up and discard your existing furniture? 

#54 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

After that post I'm guessing it's a question posed by many.:)

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher and Riverbrian like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#55 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,244 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:09 PM

So let's say you order new furniture.... Is it normal to expect the company to pick up and discard your existing furniture? 

Not unless I ask them to.

"Enjoy your new coffee table, sir."

"Yes, thanks, but what happened to our sofa, and china hutch... and the bed?"

• USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#56 sampleSizeOfOne

sampleSizeOfOne

Nobody.

• Members
  • 6,100 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:26 PM

I think the curb on trash day does provide me with that service more or less by default...

But i am confused by this word "new"...
  • ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#57 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

I spend so much of my time on hererailing against negativity. And the one thought that has been running through my head all day is:

When is Berrios' TJ surgery scheduled for?

I don't know what's wrong with me.
  • ashburyjohn and Riverbrian like this

#58 Darius

Darius

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, that tax situation in South Dakota....the government is still getting theirs. Throw whatever title you'd like in front of the word tax...you're still paying it in some way, shape, or form at the end of the day.

Now, from this second forward, I want to think about nothing work related until 6 am Monday.

All I want is another division series win. These bats need to break out tonight. I feel like Dozier is due for a leadoff home run.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#59 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 03:44 PM

After that post I'm guessing it's a question posed by many.:)

Mostly by my college professors.

• ashburyjohn, birdwatcher, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#60 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I don't care how, just do it.

• Twins Mods
  • 10,299 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

Cheap beer does have its place. When a college student and too young to buy beer in Minnesota, a car load of us would throw our pocket change on the bar in Sioux Falls (again with the thread) and if we could come up with $1.99 we could buy a case of Bubs. Another $.29 would net us a roll of Rolaids, which proved to be a nice chaser. There's a lot of good things I could say about Bubs beer, but I can't remember any of them. It had the consistency of karo syrup, which gave you plenty of time to upright your beer if you accidentally tipped it over, and tasted like No. 2 diesel fuel cut with ammonia (don't ask me how I know that) but it got you where you wanted to go. The problem was by the time we finished the Bubs we no longer knew where we wanted to go. Or which one of us had the Rolaids.

The only way I remember graduating from University is because of that piece of paper they gave me, which apparently is proof.
  • ashburyjohn and Riverbrian like this