Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Backup Backstop Battle Royal?

chris gimenez mitch garver john ryan murphy
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 03:35 PM

no, no, he was traded to get Kevin Jepsen

What? (Never gets old...) :)

• Sconnie likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#42 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:17 PM

Changing the catching was the only real move this front office made as they take over. They chose Castro and Giminez knowing they wouldn't hit much. They must believe the value they bring to roster contributes significantly to preventing runs. I find myself agreeing with them though this skill is very complex to measure. Some of the pieces can be measured over the long term.

If you don't support Falvey and Levine's only fundamental roster decision, it is hard to imagine that you would support their continued role leading the Twins front office.

While I didn't expect Castro would hit much, I didn't think he would be as poor at the plate as he has been so far. And...... I expected him to catch more pitches. PBs and WPs that sure looked like they were catchable. The miscue at the plate on the great Buxton throw..... I have been disappointed in his glove more than his bat even.

Plenty of season for him to perform better, though.

Edited by h2oface, 22 May 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#43 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 11:30 PM

And to think, I was upset when Josmil Pinto left. 

• HitInAPinch likes this

I [heart] to fart

#44 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

While I didn't expect Castro would hit much, I didn't think he would be as poor at the plate as he has been so far. And...... I expected him to catch more pitches. PBs and WPs that sure looked like they were catchable. The miscue at the plate on the great Buxton throw..... I have been disappointed in his glove more than his bat even.

Plenty of season for him to perform better, though.

Why did you expect him to be better? His OPS is almost exactly between his last two seasons.

I was worried Castro would be a little worse with the stick than he has been this season. He has modest power but played half his games in Houston, which gave the illusion of a bit more power than he actually has (going into the season, he had nearly twice as many homers at home than he did on the road).

I'm quite satisfied with Castro's play.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chris gimenez, mitch garver, john ryan murphy