Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berrios Love Thread/Time for the Twins to push their chips in?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

No need to start with Melo just because he's on the 40-man.  Wilk likely has to go anyway to make room on the 25-man, which also clears an easy 40-man spot.

And please let's not wait for Chargois!  He's not even back to pitching in game action yet, and will need some time to get straightened out (or even just stretched out after a couple months of inactivity).

• diehardtwinsfan and howieramone2 like this

#42 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

No need to start with Melo just because he's on the 40-man.  Wilk likely has to go anyway to make room on the 25-man, which also clears an easy 40-man spot.

And please let's not wait for Chargois!  He's not even back to pitching in game action yet, and will need some time to get straightened out (or even just stretched out after a couple months of inactivity).

Definitely a good point.The problem with the non-40 man guys is more options management and the need to DFA someone to bring them on.It makes sense to start with 40 man guys to minimize risk in that area, but yes, I agree that if a guy like Bard or Hildenberger is the most ready and will be added this winter, then dumping a guy like Wilk to make room for them should be done.

• howieramone2 likes this

#43 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,595 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Other than Burdi and Chargois, these options are just re-arranging chairs.

I'm not opposed to giving a guy a look, but I'd probably just keep the 40 man inventory other than adding Burdi (hopefully sooner rather than later).
Papers...business papers.

#44 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

Personally, I'd like to see Burdi moved to AAA.He hasn't been good in AA up until this year (though injury played a part there)... he's a good candidate to toss out at a higher level and see if he continues to dominate.

#45 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,595 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:42 AM

Personally, I'd like to see Burdi moved to AAA. He hasn't been good in AA up until this year (though injury played a part there)... he's a good candidate to toss out at a higher level and see if he continues to dominate.

I would skip AAA, bring him right up.
  • Steve Lein, USAFChief, Mike Sixel and 3 others like this

#46 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,139 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

I would skip AAA, bring him right up.

this, and now.

• Steve Lein, kab21 and TheLeviathan like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#47 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:34 AM

Let's get Mejia up and pitching well as the 5th starter If he pitches well, then maybe Hughes is the 5th starter.
Berrios is awesome!

Meija would be a great addition as a lefty. 

#48 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

I wonder who it was in the organization who thought Berrios should still be in the minors for a while. Glad Berrios is finally here. All in!
  • Mike Sixel likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#49 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Just think how much better he would be if he spent a few more weeks in AAA....

IALTO

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#50 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,139 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:43 AM

BTW, super excited that Berrios is pitching like (well, much better) than many of us felt he would last year, let alone this year.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#51 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Can't seem to edit my post. Berrios started using a MLB ball in Rochester that he has indicated has helped.

Life is great because I learn interesting new things everyday. So the MLB baseball is different than the AAA baseball?

#52 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

Life is great because I learn interesting new things everyday. So the MLB baseball is different than the AAA baseball?

There was another thread on that somewhere, but yes.They outsource minor league baseballs to lower cost overseas factories if I remember right.

• nokomismod likes this

#53 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:48 PM

He reminds me more of Pedro Martinez from a stature/stuff standpoint than Jose Fernandez. 

I suppose I'd take either one though. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#54 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,246 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Can't seem to edit my post. Berrios started using a MLB ball in Rochester that he has indicated has helped.

It amazes me to no end that this is even the case.  Why the hell are we using different balls?  I'm genuinely curious - what possible good comes of that?

#55 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

It amazes me to no end that this is even the case.  Why the hell are we using different balls?  I'm genuinely curious - what possible good comes of that?

Apparently, it saves MLB some money.I'd love to know how much, because that really strikes me as something that would not be worth it. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#56 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

By the way, Molitor has announced Mejia to start Saturday if you didn't see it...

http://www.startribu...rday/422990603/

#57 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,246 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:18 PM

Apparently, it saves MLB some money.I'd love to know how much, because that really strikes me as something that would not be worth it. 

That is insultingly absurd if true.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#58 gheggs42

gheggs42

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:25 PM

Question: is xFIP a good stat to use for a pitcher? Not very familiar with it but I noticed Berrios has an xFIP of 4.16 while an ERA of 0.59 and only 4 hits allowed. Does it have to do with the amount of fly balls he's allowed? 

#59 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,595 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:32 PM

Question: is xFIP a good stat to use for a pitcher? Not very familiar with it but I noticed Berrios has an xFIP of 4.16 while an ERA of 0.59 and only 4 hits allowed. Does it have to do with the amount of fly balls he's allowed?

I personally think very little of xfip and what I've read is that it is losing favor overall.

The "x" in xfip is not as meaningful as originally promised.

But yes, Berrios has a high xfip because of fly balls.

#60 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,751 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:41 PM

That is insultingly absurd if true.

I don't think it's an MLB thing, I think it's a MiLB thing. The teams probably pay for their own balls.

It doesn't make it less stupid, only more acceptably stupid. MLB should pay for MiLB balls because it's in their interest to do so.

• gil4 and TheLeviathan like this