Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Berrios Love Thread/Time for the Twins to push their chips in?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Twins short on pitching is no surprise, especially after May went down.

But, comparatively, Berrios, Santana, Santiago, Hughes and Mejia may be a better rotation than KC, Chicago and .... a few other teams.

Bullpen is another matter.Gotta hope that Belisle and Pressley can hold it together or this will be a really long year in the late innings.

• brvama likes this

#22 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 5,976 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

Baxendale isn't currently injured, right? Anyway, he, Burdi, Bard, Melotakis, and a healthy Chargois could turn that bullpen around. Law of averages says Pressly will return to form too. I don't know about some of the others . . .

• Vanimal46 and howieramone2 like this

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:13 AM

I have to think there's one reliever that can be removed from the 25 to allow for a rotating carousel of prospects out of AAA.There's plenty of guys who deserve a shot and if they fail you can recycle them for someone else.I don't think it's unreasonable to think that at least one guy in AAA can outperform someone in the MLB pen.It might take a couple of guys to rotate through, but at some point, they need to try.

• Mike Sixel, brvama and Vanimal46 like this

#24 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Personally I would rather run Hughes out there than Gibson at least right now. Hughes has very little stuff but knows how to battle. Gibson, not at all.
  • USAFChief, bluechipper, Tibs and 1 other like this

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

• James, brvama, Siehbiscuit and 7 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#26 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,791 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:23 AM

Twins short on pitching is no surprise, especially after May went down.

But, comparatively, Berrios, Santana, Santiago, Hughes and Mejia may be a better rotation than KC, Chicago and .... a few other teams.

Bullpen is another matter.Gotta hope that Belisle and Pressley can hold it together or this will be a really long year in the late innings.

Bullpen definitely needs outside help, and fast. They need to try to get 2 "legit" RP via trade IMO.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#27 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,569 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hughes to the bullpen.  His progress has been mediocre at best.  We have three pitchers in the rotation and until someone else in the minors looks like they can come through it will have to be Mejia and Gibson filling our the rotation.  

Who is the next young pitcher?  I read the minor league reports and the ones that were rated high in our prospect lists do not seem to be performing at a level to interest the MLB team. 

Yeah. Gonsalves isn't pitching yet. Romero hasn't taken off. Stewart is struggling.

There's not a lot of high-potential options for the rotation right now.

Just think how good the Twins might be looking if May was in the rotation and doing as well as he was before he was bumped to the bullpen.

I do agree they need to start overhauling the bullpen, I think it's overdue already. Give Alan Busenitz a crack. Maybe Nik Turley. Need to get Chargois back when healthy. Bring Burdi up from AA, promote Curtiss...

Edited by Steve Lein, 19 May 2017 - 08:28 AM.

• bluechipper, LA VIkes Fan, spycake and 2 others like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#28 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

I don't know if this has been posted, however, Mike Berardino had a good article about Berrios using a MLB in his side sessions at AAA. Apparently it has helped in his transition. Maybe there's hope for our other pitching prospects. Here's the link:
http://www.twincitie...ig-league-ball/
  • Mike Sixel, 70charger and bluechipper like this

#29 brvama

brvama

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Can't seem to edit my post. Berrios started using a MLB ball in Rochester that he has indicated has helped.
  • HitInAPinch likes this

#30 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:45 AM

Agree on the bullpen but we need a DH. Vargas isn't the guy. Anyone know if Justin Mrneau is still available?  I say that in jest but it would be fun. 

#31 Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Ebby Calvin Laloosh

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

That was fun to watch. Two references to Jose Fernandez, Ian Desmond after the game and Latroy during the broadcast (I admit when I heard Latroy say it I thought "Easy, let's not get ahead of ourselves." But with Desmond saying it too makes me get a little excited.

I could watch him pitch from the wind up all day. So smooth and easy and no one can seem to find that fastball with a bat. Still pretty early, but if he keeps this up I'll tune in every five days even if the wheels come off the rest of the team.

#32 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,816 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

I have to think there's one reliever that can be removed from the 25 to allow for a rotating carousel of prospects out of AAA.There's plenty of guys who deserve a shot and if they fail you can recycle them for someone else

The 40-man is the gating issue as much as the 25-man for that strategy. A complete rejiggering of the relief portion of the 40-man to accommodate more prospects isn't impossible by any stretch, but is more of a gamble (in terms of the subject of this thread) than at first sight. Acquiring better relievers by trade would be less disruptive, although at greater cost. Tough dilemma, compounded by the uncertainty of whether the window has actually opened yet. I think the trade avenue has to be explored first, and if the cost is too high (which I expect) then start dispensing with the Rucinskis and Bosherses. It's too bad Melotakis is on a bad 3-game stretch, because he's on the 40-man already and would be the obvious first guy on the carousel. The risk comes, if the team is otherwise contending, when the carousel guys all have results like Chargois last year and you wish you had Boshers back for mediocre competence.

If the first person on the phone can't answer your question, it's a bureaucracy.

#33 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

I'm half expecting that curveball to Arenado in the 4th show up on the "best pitching gifs of the week" site. Sick!

• Vanimal46 likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,597 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:49 AM

Agree on the bullpen but we need a DH. Vargas isn't the guy. Anyone know if Justin Mrneau is still available? I say that in jest but it would be fun.

They should have tried harder to sign someone like Napoli in the offseason.
  • Mike Sixel and howieramone2 like this
Papers...business papers.

#35 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,417 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

I noticed the difference in balls several years ago and pointed it out to some friends. Then I mentioned it to Rick Anderson and asked why. He had no idea they were different and wondered why to. Later I found out it was cost, and told him. Seems strange some pitcher along the line wouldn't have mentioned it.

• Steve Lein likes this

he gone!

#36 drew_7726

drew_7726

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Twins should trade Stewart, Santiago, and Grossman to the Rangers for Darvish

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:06 AM

The 40-man is the gating issue as much as the 25-man for that strategy. A complete rejiggering of the relief portion of the 40-man to accommodate more prospects isn't impossible by any stretch, but is more of a gamble (in terms of the subject of this thread) than at first sight. Acquiring better relievers by trade would be less disruptive, although at greater cost. Tough dilemma, compounded by the uncertainty of whether the window has actually opened yet. I think the trade avenue has to be explored first, and if the cost is too high (which I expect) then start dispensing with the Rucinskis and Bosherses. It's too bad Melotakis is on a bad 3-game stretch, because he's on the 40-man already and would be the obvious first guy on the carousel. The risk comes, if the team is otherwise contending, when the carousel guys all have results like Chargois last year and you wish you had Boshers back for mediocre competence.

The 40-man shouldn't be a limiting factor.  In the last month, we've added Tepesch, Rucinski, and Wilk.  Plus Boshers has been passed over for all of those guys.  And if you're promoting guys from AA too, there will be plenty of options to take their places at AAA if they are claimed.  (Turley and Wimmers both got bumped to AA right now because there are too many pitchers in Rochester!)

And if things go bad and you need mediocre competence, we've got Tonkin and Chapman parked at AAA, a RHP and a LHP both with fairly extensive MLB experience.

I think you could safely drop Wilk right now and start the carousel with Hildenberger or Burdi -- those guys are on track to need 40-man spots this winter anyway.  Move some guys up to AAA (from among Turley, Bard, Curtiss, Van Steensel) and down to AA (Wheeler, Boshers) too, so you get a little more data about who could be next in line, when you are ready to cut Tepesch, Rucinski, or Boshers.

Edited by spycake, 19 May 2017 - 10:07 AM.

• Mike Sixel, 70charger and KirbyDome89 like this

#38 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:08 AM

Also very convenient for people who want to complain is the fact that in this day and age every move can instantly be scrutinized in a vacuum and torn to shreds. It's a good time to be a hater/malcontent/grouch!

What part of the criticism is in a vacuum? They offered up a lame excuse to ensure he started the year in AAA, they went with a 4 man rotation after Mejia went down, and they added Tepescch to the 40 man and passed Berrios up after Gibson was mercifully demoted. Berrios is a better option than everybody (Mejia included) that started games in that 5 spot and the Twins seemingly were doing everything they could to avoid bringing him back up. I'm glad their hand was finally forced.... 

If the fact that I don't default to the "In Falvey we trust," mantra every time a decision is made makes me a hater/malcontent then I'm happy to wear the label.....

• Mike Sixel likes this

#39 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I won't argue this, but at some point the upside of guys who are pretty much ready now (Bard, Hildenberger, Burdi, etc.)should be better than guys like Rucinski, Wilk, etc.I'd probably start with Melotakis or bring in Chargois once he's back, and I certainly wouldn't jettison the entire pen right now, but I think you need to do something other than waiting till 2018 to add some of these guys to the 40 man.

If they bring in Hildenberger and he's lights out, then you can consider another spot, but if he's not, burn the option. He's in AAA now and doing well, if they need all 3 options for a guy like that, then he's probably not going to be a major leaguer.

#40 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,289 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

MODERATOR NOTE:

I'm going to step inand kindly ask that we end the tangent of too soon/too late right now.We are arguing about slightly more than one month of minor league time in regards to a player that clearly wasn't ready last year and spent less with coaches this spring due to the WBC.There is absolutely nothing good to be gained from this, and no one can say with any certainty if Berrios would be doing what he did the last two starts had come up earlier.It will invite nothing but bickering.

Let's just enjoy the fact that our prized prospect is actually looking like a prized prospect who could potentially be filling a big hole in the rotation.

• Brock Beauchamp, Han Joelo, Halsey Hall and 2 others like this