Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Keith Law On The Twins And The 2017 Draft

hunter greene brendan mckay kyle wright keith law smart baseball
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:06 PM

I know there are other factors and wouldn't play this way exactly, but there is over a $1mil difference between Twins and Padres.

For 2017, Slot Value for 1:1 is 7.7M, Slot value for 1:3 is 6.6M. Under the restructured Draft System (2012 to current), No 1:1 has ever got more than the 6.5M that Swanson got in 2015.  If Greene goes in the Top 5 (which most indications are), he's going to take home 5M or so, so I think he'll be okay.

#62 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,284 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

How did shutting it down change anyone's mind on Greene? If anything changed, it was McKay and his drop as a pitcher, and Wright's continued dominance. How Greene not pitching changes anything is beyond me.
  • gunnarthor likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#63 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 May 2017 - 08:58 PM

How did shutting it down change anyone's mind on Greene? If anything changed, it was McKay and his drop as a pitcher, and Wright's continued dominance. How Greene not pitching changes anything is beyond me.

Seems at least one guy has passed him, perhaps more.

Wright has made himself a couple mil.
Papers...business papers.

#64 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,284 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Seems at least one guy has passed him, perhaps more.
Wright has made himself a couple mil.

Which has what to do with Greene? That's all on Wright.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#65 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:10 AM

Which has what to do with Greene? That's all on Wright.

He shut it down, at least one guy has passed him. Being idle allows others to look better and increases his own critiques. If he wasn't thinking this he wouldn't bother with a bullpen.

Bully on Wright for being awesome, but if Greene was still pitching and flashing he might have staved off Wright.

#66 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,284 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:34 AM

He shut it down, at least one guy has passed him. Being idle allows others to look better and increases his own critiques. If he wasn't thinking this he wouldn't bother with a bullpen.

Bully on Wright for being awesome, but if Greene was still pitching and flashing he might have staved off Wright.

I don't believe anyone has changed their mind on Greene at all. Why would they? I guess we just disagree on this. You either think Greene is a legit ACE and know what the risks are, and want to take him, or you don't. Pitching 2 more times for his HS team isn't going to change any opinions on his stuff.

• jimbo92107 and Vanimal46 like this

#67 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:40 AM

I don't believe anyone has changed their mind on Greene at all. Why would they? I guess we just disagree on this. You either think Greene is a legit ACE and know what the risks are, and want to take him, or you don't. Pitching 2 more times for his HS team isn't going to change any opinions on his stuff.

I don't think they've changed their opinion on Greene as much as they've moved on to someone else. I thought that was relatively clear.

If Greene's camp didn't think so, I doubt they'd bother with a bullpen. Trying to recoup some of the money they likely cost themselves shutting it down early.

#68 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:02 AM

Greene's floor is San Diego at #3 and the Twins never seemed likely to draft him, so I don't think Greene has cost himself much, if anything. 

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#69 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

I think, and the draft will show us, that Preller, the SD GM, has made it clear to Greene and his adviser that SD will go over slot to sign him. That way it would make sense for him to shut down early. My guess is that he still gets the largest signing bonus in this draft class.

#70 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

If Greene's camp didn't think so, I doubt they'd bother with a bullpen. Trying to recoup some of the money they likely cost themselves shutting it down early.

from my understanding, doing the bullpens aren't anything new. A day or two after he shut it down they said he was still going to do them so I don't think he or his advisors are trying to do anything to recoup money. They're just doing the plan that they mentioned awhile ago.
  • gunnarthor and Bob Sacamento like this

#71 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:55 AM

The bullpen session had been scheduled for a while per Jim Callis/Jon Mayo, completely in lines.  At worst, Greene missed 2-3 starts of his HS season.  Greene holding himself out the last starts of HS season is no different than a star college football player sitting out a bowl game.  At some point, the risk is not worth the reward.  Opinions have already been formulated on Hunter's abilities and 2 more starts were not going to change that.

• jimbo92107 likes this

#72 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

The bullpen session had been scheduled for a while per Jim Callis/Jon Mayo, completely in lines.  At worst, Greene missed 2-3 starts of his HS season.  Greene holding himself out the last starts of HS season is no different than a star college football player sitting out a bowl game.  At some point, the risk is not worth the reward.  Opinions have already been formulated on Hunter's abilities and 2 more starts were not going to change that.

All right, I'll buy it. But I still think there is risk in shutting down, with other guys passing you. Helped him that McKay faded.

#73 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

Can / are the Twins negotiating with agents right now?

#74 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,129 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

I'm sure they are.  There are some rules against it that everyone breaks esp with regard to HS players. The Phillies a few years ago killed NCAA eligibility for a few of their drafted kids who didn't sign by telling the NCAA that the players worked with an adviser and I believe the Astros threatened to do the same to Aiken although everyone in the world knew he had an agent. 

http://deadspin.com/...-the-1526769641

Edited by gunnarthor, 23 May 2017 - 04:06 PM.

• caninatl04 likes this

#75 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 998 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:04 PM

Yes they can negotiate with agents/advisors, they are the only team that technically can at this point.  There are no reports or leaks out on any player in particular but you can bet good money that Falvey/Levine have kicked the preliminary tires on what it would cost to sign the Top 5-7 players available at 1:1.  But it sounds like they're still trying to figure out who best fits their needs now and in the near future.

• caninatl04 likes this

#76 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:36 PM

Shutting down Greene was a good example of being responsible to a young star's potential. His HS coach is saying, "Okay, I took you this far; now let professional coaches teach you to throw 100mph without wrecking your arm." Isn't that what you'd want as a drafting team, a super-talented kid with the least possible damage to his golden arm? 

• gunnarthor likes this

Pro tip: Try pitching to a little less contact.

#77 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,347 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

Shutting down Greene was a good example of being responsible to a young star's potential. His HS coach is saying, "Okay, I took you this far; now let professional coaches teach you to throw 100mph without wrecking your arm." Isn't that what you'd want as a drafting team, a super-talented kid with the least possible damage to his golden arm?

I don't know if I agree. There shouldn't be a problem running him out there if he pitches on full rest and they monitor pitch counts.

Does seem he shut it down to protect from injury.

#78 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Fan of the MLB Draft

• Members
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

He is still throwing, so he wasn't exactly saving his arm.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#79 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 2,827 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 23 May 2017 - 06:57 PM

He is still throwing, so he wasn't exactly saving his arm.

What I noticed was that they shut him down right about the time he started touching 100mph. That's also when a human arm is reaching the limit of how hard it can throw a baseball. To me, that's a smart move for a young and talented pitcher. Let the professional coaches take the praise or blame for what happens next. 

Pro tip: Try pitching to a little less contact.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hunter greene, brendan mckay, kyle wright, keith law, smart baseball