Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Keith Law On Derek Falvey And The 2017 Twins

keith law byron buxton thad levine derek falvey
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,954 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 18 May 2017 - 04:24 AM

I think Rosario comps to Puckett are way off base.  Olivia seems like a good one.

I always seemed to me that Oliva and Puckett were good "bad ball" hitters. Both seemed to swing at some pretty off the plate pitches, and hit them. But if you don't, you are an undisciplined hitter. Oliva was a god awful outfielder to start with, Arcia like. Great arm, but the rest was all learned over the years. Rosario is a much more polished OF right from the get go, with a more accurate arm. But there is no way he will ever compare with Oliva as a bat. Oliva was one of the best natural hitters who ever played. His knees robbed him of the recognition of that fact, but the man could hit!
  • HitInAPinch likes this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,551 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:20 AM

Yep... This is why I wish Pohlad would have made the move once he decided to make the move.

Waiting until the end of the year cost us a little bit of time. 

Not sure this is Pohlad's fault. Ryan left in June. The hire was basically in place in late August/late September, but Falvey didn't come over until the Cleveland season ended, which unfortunately was the last possible day of the baseball season. Not sure what else you wanted Pohlad to do (other than make a move like this in 2011)?

Papers...business papers.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,334 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

Not sure this is Pohlad's fault. Ryan left in June. The hire was basically in place in late August/late September, but Falvey didn't come over until the Cleveland season ended, which unfortunately was the last possible day of the baseball season. Not sure what else you wanted Pohlad to do (other than make a move like this in 2011)?

I have no personal idea of the exact timelines so any thoughts of mine will be lacking that important information. 

But... I wish the POBO would have been hired before Terry Ryan resigned as GM.

I have no idea when Pohlad finally decided to make a change but the speculation that I read (may or may not be true) made it seem like Terry Ryan stepped down when Pohlad informed him that he was making a change at the end of the year. It's possible that Pohlad knew that he was making a change before that. 

I have no idea when Pohlad decided. I wish it was decided in May... Search Firm Contacted... Candidates reviewed... Candidate hired and in place by June.

I'm suspicious that Pohlad decided that the end of the year was when the change would happen and they were going to play out the year.

I could be wrong. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#24 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

Target Field was the first stadium set up with Statcast.  I don't buy it for a second that Falvey walked into a front office full of people who had never looked at it, who didn't have it integrated, etc.  Target Field was the statcast pilot, for chrissakes. The MLB would not foot the bill to set this up in an organization incapable of looking at the data!

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,551 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Target Field was the first stadium set up with Statcast. I don't buy it for a second that Falvey walked into a front office full of people who had never looked at it, who didn't have it integrated, etc. Target Field was the statcast pilot, for chrissakes. The MLB would not foot the bill to set this up in an organization incapable of looking at the data!

I agree. I'm skeptical it was as bad as Law lays it out here. Goin has been in the position for around a decade, and they've had 2 or 3 people for multiple years prior to this. It was certainly lean and needed to be ugraded, but that seemed a little exaggerated.
  • Doomtints and howieramone2 like this
Papers...business papers.

#26 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,097 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:11 AM

The only thing Rosario has in common with HOFer Puckett and perhaps deserving to be HOFer Oliva is they all played for the Twins. Punto is like Oliva and Puckett too.

Edited by jimmer, 19 May 2017 - 07:43 AM.

#27 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:32 AM

I have no personal idea of the exact timelines so any thoughts of mine will be lacking that important information. 

But... I wish the POBO would have been hired before Terry Ryan resigned as GM.

I have no idea when Pohlad finally decided to make a change but the speculation that I read (may or may not be true) made it seem like Terry Ryan stepped down when Pohlad informed him that he was making a change at the end of the year. It's possible that Pohlad knew that he was making a change before that. 

I have no idea when Pohlad decided. I wish it was decided in May... Search Firm Contacted... Candidates reviewed... Candidate hired and in place by June.

I'm suspicious that Pohlad decided that the end of the year was when the change would happen and they were going to play out the year.

I could be wrong. 

I do not know how difficult it is to get a GM from another organization during the season, I expect it is impossible.So waiting until the end of the year was the only thing Pohlad could do, once he decided to go outside the organization.I was a TR defender and maybe the move should have been made earlier, but that is water under the dam.GM and top of organization changes come over winter, not in midseason unless you are promoting from within,The only other change you can make is to hire someone currently unemployed, I did not see any of that type I would want to run the Twins. 

• Riverbrian likes this

#28 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

I do not know how difficult it is to get a GM from another organization during the season, I expect it is impossible.So waiting until the end of the year was the only thing Pohlad could do, once he decided to go outside the organization.I was a TR defender and maybe the move should have been made earlier, but that is water under the dam.GM and top of organization changes come over winter, not in midseason unless you are promoting from within,The only other change you can make is to hire someone currently unemployed, I did not see any of that type I would want to run the Twins. 

It's possible to get a GM midseason but I suspect that you'll limit your pool of candidates in a very bad way if you demand a midseason hire.

Would Falvey have left midseason? Would Cleveland even let him leave? Hard to say but there's certainly a chance the Twins miss out on Falvey if they hire in June or July.

#29 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,334 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 12:18 PM

I know that I have absolutely no idea.

However... it seems to me that a job like POBO is quite limited and if you want it. You'd take it when offered because you don't know when the next one comes along. 

But... You might be right. After the season just might be the time when such moves are made. 

Founded 4-23-16 

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

I know that I have absolutely no idea.

However... it seems to me that a job like POBO is quite limited and if you want it. You'd take it when offered because you don't know when the next one comes along. 

But... You might be right. After the season just might be the time when such moves are made. 

I'd have to check but I believe front offices are contractual, like the rest of baseball. It may not be a matter of whether you want to become a POBO but instead whether your current employer will let you become a POBO.

Teams usually play nice with one another and let their front office people interview and take jobs between seasons but they could easily say they won't allow it to happen during the season.

Could you imagine how upset Cleveland would be if Falvey asked to leave in May, just weeks before the draft?

• Riverbrian likes this

#31 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,334 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:45 PM

I'd have to check but I believe front offices are contractual, like the rest of baseball. It may not be a matter of whether you want to become a POBO but instead whether your current employer will let you become a POBO.

Teams usually play nice with one another and let their front office people interview and take jobs between seasons but they could easily say they won't allow it to happen during the season.

Could you imagine how upset Cleveland would be if Falvey asked to leave in May, just weeks before the draft?

That makes sense... I hadn't really thought of that. 

Founded 4-23-16 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keith law, byron buxton, thad levine, derek falvey