Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Minor Leage Moves

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Per Mr. Nygaard:

The Red Wings welcome RP Michael Tonkin (outrighted) and SS Engelb Vielma (from AA). They released 1B/OF Ben Paulsen. The Lookouts add OF Ryan Strausborger (activated and sent from AAA) and 3B TJ White (activated). Fort Myers adds OF Tanner English from Chattanooga and releases P Chris Anderson. Cedar Rapids activated RP Zach Tillery.

Comments:

Although I have been an outspoken fan of Vielma for over three years, can someone explain why he got the promotion over Gordon?I am a 100% fan of splitting them up in different levels so they can both play SS so one can decide if they are MLB short stops or 2B men, but I am somewhat surprised.

I was very wrong about Paulsen based on his preseason results.

Please correct me, but wasn't Tanner English on some "top Twins prospects" lists?

I would really like to hear reactions to these moves as these represent more information into the new Front Office

#2 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,715 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 12:19 AM

Short answer IMO is because Vielma is considered closer to MLB ready.

Vielma likely ceilings as a utility infielder. His glove is considered pretty much ready now. His bat, if in fact he would be a utility infielder, is somewhat irrelevant. Also, Vielma was in AA most of last year. By starting there this year, he got roughly a full season at AA. Gordon only has 6 weeks at AA. If he still has an .850 ish OPS mid July, he might get bumped up too. But if he does not, we are still talking about a guy who turns 22 in October.
  • goulik likes this

#3 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:00 AM

With Gordon, I think it's pretty simple:  Twins starting middle infield is set.  Do you let a talent like Gordon ride the bench or let him have more development time in the MiLB?

It's not my fault !

#4 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

English has been a top tier defensive outfielder with a light bat. In 62 at bats he is hitting .129 with a whopping .430 OPS. He has struck out 26 times. I do not recall him being on top 20 or 30 prospect lists but he may have been on top 50-60 lists because of his defense. As it is, he has been taking CF time from LaMonte Wade who is a much higher regarded prospect.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

Per Mr. Nygaard:

The Red Wings welcome RP Michael Tonkin (outrighted) and SS Engelb Vielma (from AA). They released 1B/OF Ben Paulsen. The Lookouts add OF Ryan Strausborger (activated and sent from AAA) and 3B TJ White (activated). Fort Myers adds OF Tanner English from Chattanooga and releases P Chris Anderson. Cedar Rapids activated RP Zach Tillery.

Comments:

Although I have been an outspoken fan of Vielma for over three years, can someone explain why he got the promotion over Gordon?I am a 100% fan of splitting them up in different levels so they can both play SS so one can decide if they are MLB short stops or 2B men, but I am somewhat surprised.

I was very wrong about Paulsen based on his preseason results.

Please correct me, but wasn't Tanner English on some "top Twins prospects" lists?

I would really like to hear reactions to these moves as these represent more information into the new Front Office

First, there is a Minor League Transactions thread where these moves were mentioned and can be announced, but I will attempt to answer your specific questions here.

Vielma spent all of last year in Chattanooga. He hit pretty well there last year and continues to hit well there this year. He's also a tremendous defender. Gordon has hit very well in Chattanooga for about 5-6 weeks. So, it's an easy decision for who moves up now. What will be good, as I posted in that other thread, is that now both can play a lot more shortstop. 

English has appeared toward the bottom of some Top 30 prospect lists in the past, maybe even this year. His defense in CF alone makes him interesting. But yeah, he was off to a very slow start this season in Chattanooga. Hopefully heading back to Ft. Myers will kick-start his offense. 

Good to see TJ White back in action too. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,822 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

English has been a top tier defensive outfielder with a light bat. In 62 at bats he is hitting .129 with a whopping .430 OPS. He has struck out 26 times. I do not recall him being on top 20 or 30 prospect lists but he may have been on top 50-60 lists because of his defense. As it is, he has been taking CF time from LaMonte Wade who is a much higher regarded prospect.

Wade isn't a CF, so English hasn't been taking any playing time from him. When English hasn't played CF, they have typically had Levi Michael out there. Wade is more of a corner who could play CF in a pinch (and has in the lower levels). 

#7 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:26 AM

Wade isn't a CF, so English hasn't been taking any playing time from him. When English hasn't played CF, they have typically had Levi Michael out there. Wade is more of a corner who could play CF in a pinch (and has in the lower levels). 

I figured long term he would be moved to the corner, but up to this year he has played a lot of CF (1,013 innings vs 434 in LF and 67 in RF)

I did not realize a decision had been made that he was no longer a CF especially since he is still listed as CF on his Lookouts page.