Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Fangraphs: byron-buxton-is-slowing-down-in-the-good-way

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:38 AM

http://www.fangraphs...n-the-good-way/

A full article on Buxton. Travis has been a great addition to Fangraphs.

• nicksaviking, Oldgoat_MN, TheLeviathan and 5 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

This is really good. Lots of quotes from Rowson, Buxton, Molitor. 

Enjoy!

• nicksaviking, TheLeviathan and ToddlerHarmon like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Follow up in the chat today:

Hannah Hochevar
12:16 Like the Buxton piece. Seems like you can't do much better for longevity hitting advice than Molitor and Hunter.
Travis Sawchik
12:17 Thanks, Hannah. Yeah, I think Buxton is surrounded by some good advisors. I think in the past he was listening to too many voices. But hopefully his May is indicative or a truly improved - and more relaxed - approach
Did anyone catch his overall play in CF this weekend? He was incredible

Kyle Boddy
@drivelinebases
Byron Buxton completing your everyday, typical F8.
Play
about 21 hours ago
He seemingly did that every other inning
12:18 He already has a +5 DRS and 24.4 UZR/150 rating
As good a CF as I remember seeing in a three-game stretch

• Vanimal46 likes this

#4 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for posting. It does seem like Rowson, our new hitting coach, might be better for him than Bruno was. 

• bluechipper and Vanimal46 like this

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:49 AM

In the wayyy too early gold glove race, I think Buxton wins it over Kiermaier right now. Especially when Kiermaier made a couple of bone headed plays already that resulted in inside the park home runs. 

#6 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 14,512 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

In a different thread, I disputed DaveW's assertion that Buxton was guilty of overthinking, but this article lays it out pretty plainly in Buxton's own words that he has been. Props to Dave.

• USAFChief, Loosey, DaveW and 1 other like this

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#7 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:08 PM

He has certainly made some progress in the last week or so but he still has a K% > 35% and has no walks in May.Until he starts walking at a 15% clip, improves his K-rate to ~25% or some combination of the two he will still be a liability with the bat.In addition we saw this "improvement" last year and it didn't seem to stick.

I guess what I'm saying is this is a very SSS and we need more time to see what the real outcome will be. 

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

It's hard not to read this and appreciate Molitor's approach here as well.

• Mike Sixel, Loosey, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 12:53 PM

It's hard not to read this and appreciate Molitor's approach here as well.

Agreed. Lots of good words from him there that make  you feel a lot better about him as a leader. So much of what a manager does is not visible to us (like in game decisions are).

• gunnarthor, Oldgoat_MN, TheLeviathan and 2 others like this

#10 BK432

BK432

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN
  • Twitter: bk432

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

Great, great article. And it tells us what we've been seeing is very much true. Contact still needs to improve but he's seeing his pitches so much better. Success will come.

#11 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:23 PM

I am sorry, I dont see it. Buxton's bat hasnt really turned around much. His fielding is great and I get that, but he is an out 83% of them time.

How long do we give him a chance to show he simply cant hit major league pitching or come to the realization that the Twins orginization simply cant teach the younger players how to bat.

We have failed with a number of young players and I am not sure what the answer is, but I would rather have a CF hit .280 then have a player make a great catch every other game.

This is just a ramble.

#12 Sssuperdave

Sssuperdave

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:47 PM

Saying he's an out 83

I am sorry, I dont see it. Buxton's bat hasnt really turned around much. His fielding is great and I get that, but he is an out 83% of them time.

How long do we give him a chance to show he simply cant hit major league pitching or come to the realization that the Twins orginization simply cant teach the younger players how to bat.

We have failed with a number of young players and I am not sure what the answer is, but I would rather have a CF hit .280 then have a player make a great catch every other game.

This is just a ramble.

But he's not an out 83% of the time any more.From April 3rd through April 20th he was an out 92% (!!!!!!) of the time, and since April 21st he's only been an out 74% of the time.That's a huge difference.

Slash line from 4/3 - 4/20: .082/.135/.122/.257

Slash line from 4/21 - 5/14: .265/.357/.388/.745

While that second slash line isn't exactly all-star material, when you couple it with his elite defense he is already a meaningful contributor.

• James and Oldgoat_MN like this

#13 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

You can bend the stats all you want, in the last 10 games the guy is batting .210 which shows little improvement.

Since the Twins have failed so miserably with previous players when it comes to their batting, I just do not believe he will ever hit above .240 for this team.

#14 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 02:58 PM

You can bend the stats all you want, in the last 10 games the guy is batting .210 which shows little improvement.

Since the Twins have failed so miserably with previous players when it comes to their batting, I just do not believe he will ever hit above .240 for this team.

.210 isn't significantly better than .082?*

*note, hard to say which numbers I should quote, but that seems like a pretty big difference to me.

• Sssuperdave likes this

#15 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

.210 isn't significantly better than .082?*

*note, hard to say which numbers I should quote, but that seems like a pretty big difference to me.

I think he's suggesting it's not that different than his career line of .211, which would be correct.

I do see the progress with Buxton and think he's slowly figuring it out, but it's going to come in fits and spurts before the light bulb fully comes on and he finds some consistency.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#16 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

I think he's suggesting it's not that different than his career line of .211, which would be correct.

I do see the progress with Buxton and think he's slowly figuring it out, but it's going to come in fits and spurts before the light bulb fully comes on and he finds some consistency.

Ah, got it. That's fair.

I have no idea if Buxton can hit, so far. I hope he does, though.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,917 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

I look up and down this lineup and I see lots of 25-and-under players, all of which are doing their job at the plate. The lone exception is Buxton, who still appears to be adjusting.

So, no, I don't see how the Twins are failing to teach their young hitters. Most of their young hitters look pretty good.

• gunnarthor, PseudoSABR, Halsey Hall and 1 other like this

#18 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:07 PM

I look up and down this lineup and I see lots of 25-and-under players, all of which are doing their job at the plate. The lone exception is Buxton, who still appears to be adjusting.

So, no, I don't see how the Twins are failing to teach their young hitters. Most of their young hitters look pretty good.

We have ranked 20th or lower the last 2 years in baseball when it comes to batting average. I dont see a huge improvement when it comes to the younger players.

#19 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

We have ranked 20th or lower the last 2 years in baseball when it comes to batting average. I dont see a huge improvement when it comes to the younger players.

I think part of the problem is you're using batting average to suggest our young hitters aren't doing well at the plate.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#20 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

I think part of the problem is you're using batting average to suggest our young hitters aren't doing well at the plate.

If you look at walks,strikeouts, ect. You find that we were average to below average in a lot of the catagories involving batting. Again you can also find stats that are encouraging when it comes to team batting, but IMO this team seems to fail at producing young talent who can bat.

Again there are exceptions.