Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Next Saturday's starter?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

Someone asked the Red Wings twitter account why Mejia was done so quickly and the response was pitch count. So it seems like it was a bullpen type session that players usually do before starts except in this case it was in game. So he definitely seems like a strong possibility for Saturday.

#42 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:04 PM

That all makes sense. Mejia gets 33 pitches Tuesday so he's ready for Saturday on a little short rest, but no announcement because if there is a rain out this week we don't "need" that extra starter until Monday. There isn't need to call someone up and make a corresponding move until you have to. That move is oftentimes  forced due to injury. 

BTW, I put the word "need" in quotes because Hughes has pitched poorly 3 of his last 4 times out (the exception being the Boston game at home), so we may be getting close to need a replacement for him soon. I still think he can be a solid 4/5 starter but he may need some time to rebuild his shoulder/arm before that happens. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#43 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

That all makes sense. Mejia gets 33 pitches Tuesday so he's ready for Saturday on a little short rest, but no announcement because if there is a rain out this week we don't "need" that extra starter until Monday. There isn't need to call someone up and make a corresponding move until you have to. That move is oftentimes  forced due to injury. 

BTW, I put the word "need" in quotes because Hughes has pitched poorly 3 of his last 4 times out (the exception being the Boston game at home), so we may be getting close to need a replacement for him soon. I still think he can be a solid 4/5 starter but he may need some time to rebuild his shoulder/arm before that happens. 

Clearly, Hughes' performance is a concern.  But what can realistically be done? Supposedly, the "take" on the "give" of a 10 day DL was that MLB was going to increase the scrutiny of guys placed on the DL.  No more "phantom injuries".  I really don't see an option other than sending Hughes out there every 5 days and hoping for the best. Unless you are suggesting the Twins release him and eat the $ 35 or so mil that his contract still calls for.

#44 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,604 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Clearly, Hughes' performance is a concern.  But what can realistically be done? Supposedly, the "take" on the "give" of a 10 day DL was that MLB was going to increase the scrutiny of guys placed on the DL.  No more "phantom injuries".  I really don't see an option other than sending Hughes out there every 5 days and hoping for the best. Unless you are suggesting the Twins release him and eat the $ 35 or so mil that his contract still calls for.

I think we are getting really good at determining who should not be on the roster, less aware of who the replacements realistically would be and how they would perform.

Papers...business papers.

#45 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

Good point. I still think that there will be a tryout phase for the starting rotation this year. We'll see more Mejia and Gibson and at least one or two of the AAA starters like Slegers, Wheeler or Hurlbut, and maybe even Wilk and Tepesch.  It's been fun to have the rainouts so far but the schedule is going to get brutal at make up time. Add an injury or two and we are going to be down to starters #6, 7 and 8 real fast.  I'm not even sure who they are. I think we're going to find out and then we'll know if Hughes belongs on the rotation.   

• kab21 likes this

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:40 PM

Actually with the postponement tonight, right now we could need another starter Monday May 22 in addition to Saturday May 20. (Unless they want to throw Ervin or Berrios on 3 days rest.)

Could change with another rainout in the meantime, of course!

#47 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,773 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

I wonder what a fair over/under is for Twins games started by Slegers this year. 5?

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#48 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,821 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

I wonder what a fair over/under is for Twins games started by Slegers this year. 5?

The big guy is my Adopt-A-Prospect, so I believe I am contractually bound to take the over, even if the number was 40.

• Mike Sixel and WLFINN like this

If the first person on the phone can't answer your question, it's a bureaucracy.

#49 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:40 PM

I still think he can be a solid 4/5 starter but he may need some time to rebuild his shoulder/arm before that happens. 

There are no solid 4/5 starters. The few teams in the league who have solid 4/5 starters actually have multiple 1/2/3 starters in the 4/5 roles. If Hughes is a 4/5 guy now, he is nothing but a warm body and his salary is a bust.

Edited by Doomtints, 18 May 2017 - 12:48 PM.

• goulik and Sconnie like this

#50 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,123 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 18 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

During the broadcast last night, they said Molitor said he knew who is starting on Saturday, but he wanted to let it play out with the weather and everything before making the announcement.

didnt he say that on the Sunday podcast as well?

#51 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:26 PM

There is an article on the Twins website that has announced Mejia will be the Saturday starter...

It's been there all day...

Edited by goulik, 18 May 2017 - 10:27 PM.

• Craig Arko likes this

#52 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,994 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

Here's what will probably happen. Saturday will be rained out. The two teams already have a doubleheader on July 1 to make up for the rainout in KC so they won't want to kick too many more games down the road. I think they'll play two on Sunday with Mejia and Hughes starting.

Then there's Monday. The three options would be a current bullpen member (Wilk?), a call-up (Gibson?) or Santana on short rest. They'll probably wait until Sunday night to decide but they better make sure someone at Rochester is rested.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#53 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:56 AM

Here's what will probably happen. Saturday will be rained out. The two teams already have a doubleheader on July 1 to make up for the rainout in KC so they won't want to kick too many more games down the road. I think they'll play two on Sunday with Mejia and Hughes starting.
Then there's Monday. The three options would be a current bullpen member (Wilk?), a call-up (Gibson?) or Santana on short rest. They'll probably wait until Sunday night to decide but they better make sure someone at Rochester is rested.

There is no way they would pitch Santana on short rest. My guess is Wilk.

#54 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:57 AM

Saturday is a 1:10 PM start, so they will likely try to play it, even if they have to delay/interrupt it long enough that it basically becomes a night game. :)  If they get another doubleheader, they might be best served by calling up a 26th man to start.  (Yesterday they just called up Rucinski for the pen.)

They will need to send someone down to make room for Mejia on Saturday regardless, though.  Wilk is out of options and would need to clear waivers to be outrighted; same for Adrianza.  Haley could go back to the DL, maybe?  Vargas could get optioned.

Then, unless they want to short-rest Ervin, they will need another starter for Monday night too, so they will need to clear an additional spot on the roster (although I suppose they could send Mejia back down, depending on his performance Saturday -- but they would need another 5th starter within 10 days -- Tuesday May 30).

#55 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

Then, unless they want to short-rest Ervin, they will need another starter for Monday night too, so they will need to clear an additional spot on the roster (although I suppose they could send Mejia back down, depending on his performance Saturday -- but they would need another 5th starter within 10 days -- Tuesday May 30).

Maybe it is time to cut bait on Haley or make a trade so he can be optioned/recalled...

Actually I will predict Rucinski continues to get the yo-yo treatment.

#56 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:37 AM

So, Mejia - Gibson on Saturday - Sunday?

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#57 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

What does the rotation look like now over the next 5 games? Couldn't they skip the 5 starter due to an off-day today?

Career Game Thread Record: 1-0

#58 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:43 AM

Gibson listed on mlb.com as Sunday's starter.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...date=05/28/2017

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#59 milldaddy35

milldaddy35

• Members
  • 905 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:52 AM

Gibson listed on mlb.com as Sunday's starter.

http://mlb.mlb.com/m...date=05/28/2017

How accurate is it? Do they just guess? Or do they get info from some team exec/coach?

Career Game Thread Record: 1-0

#60 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,752 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

How accurate is it? Do they just guess? Or do they get info from some team exec/coach?

It was mentioned during yesterday's broadcast. Gibson goes Sunday, Saturday is still up in the air.

I assume Saturday will be Mejia.