Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Next Saturday's starter?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:52 AM

Where is Timmy Malone when we need him? Or whatever his name was?

Mets signed him and released Wilks as the corresponding move
  • David HK likes this

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:17 AM

Tepesch can't come back for May 20, unless he is an injury replacement. Has to stay down for 10 days. Although I suppose Haley would probably be a decent real/phantom DL case.

#23 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,128 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:31 AM

My guess is Gibson won't be called up this quickly and is down in Rochester to work on specific things. He may have 4-5 more starts in AAA before it's all said and done. 

As far as a starter for Saturday? Throw a dart. It's going to be a AAAA fill-in. 

#24 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

Tepesch will not have been down in AAA long enough by Saturday to be eligible for recall, unless a pitcher is put on the DL.  Gibson is slated to pitch tonight, so he would certainly be available Saturday.

Mejia is listed as "temporary inactive".  No idea what that means.  

So, that is two that are definite no.

#25 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

Mejia has already been announced to start Wednesday's game for Rochester.

The "temporary inactive" thing is probably just a roster trick.  They had to make room for Tonkin, and Mejia wasn't scheduled to pitch anyway. Rochester did a similar thing the other day when they technically moved Nik Turley to extended spring training for a day before they officially recalled Berrios.  I imagine Mejia will somehow be officially "activated" again in time for his next start.

#26 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:41 AM

Even without Mejia, Rochester is carrying 13 pitchers.  And that doesn't even include Nik Turley who is in roster limbo as well.  And they still haven't removed anyone to make room for Engelb Vielma.  Even if they shuffle Mejia and someone else in and out, someone will need to be taken off the active roster.  Wouldn't logically think the Red Wings need 9 relievers (Baxendale, Boshers, Busenitz, Chapman, Hildenberger, Rucinski, Tonkin, Turley and Wimmers) plus 6 starters (Gibson, Hurlbut, Mejia, Slegers, Tonkin, Wheeler).

And that isn't even mentioning that there are at least two guys chomping at the bit in AA plus Chargois and Reed on the DL at AAA - Greenwood and Pino too, but they have been out all season.

Point number one is that it seems apparent that there could be a pitcher or two permanently removed from the MLB roster as there are plenty to take roster spots.

Point number two is that this could be the day that Alex Wimmers is asked to come to the manager's office.  He's pitched much better since allowing 3 HR in his first game, but at some point I think bait has to be cut.  With the glut of pitchers, many of which the development staff want and need to see pitch, someone is going to be caught in a numbers game.

• Sconnie likes this

#27 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:42 AM

Wilk is listed on ESPN, which obviously doesn't put it in stone, but it's a good indication. 

http://www.espn.com/...dule/_/name/min

I could see it being Wilk, simply to give the guy one chance to show that he can be a starter with sufficient time to prepare. Throwing him in to relieve Santiago wasn't really a good test. Giving him a week to prepare should be a better measure of what he's really got. There's still lots of pressure; if Wilk flops in this one, there's not much reason to keep him around. We saw that he has moments where his darting, sinking fastball looks impossible to hit. Alas, those are followed by moments where it looks like he's tossing BP. Maybe that means he could do short relief work just throwing his sinking fastball...

Pro tip: Try pitching to a little less contact.

#28 Twins33

Twins33

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

Apparently it means paternity leave per Berardino.
  • Thrylos likes this

#29 BoofBonser

BoofBonser

(not really Boof Bonser)

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

Hunter Greene and not Brenden McKay, please?

#30 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

Hunter Greene and not Brenden McKay, please?

Pretty sure neither are starting Saturday. ;)

• Mike Sixel, James, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#31 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,778 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:47 PM

Mejia pulled after 3 shutout innings today, so looks like him on Saturday. So that's positive.
  • Brock Beauchamp, Mike Sixel, diehardtwinsfan and 7 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

Mejia pulled after 3 shutout innings today, so looks like him on Saturday. So that's positive.

Good news for sure. I missed that, thanks.

#33 howieramone2

howieramone2

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:40 AM

Assuming Mejia does satisfactory and gets to stay in the big city, filter in Chargois, Burdi, and Melotakis when they are ready, and we have almost completely changed the makeup of our staff. 

• kab21 likes this

#34 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

Any confirmation any where that it's Mejia Saturday? I guess that could depend a little on weather.  I see rain in the forecast basically through Saturday in Minneapolis(BTW, it's 70° today here in LA rising to the high 70s/low 80s and Sunny through the weekend, but we don't get those awesome change of seasons they do in Minneapolis). Has anyone heard anything about them sticking with the four-man rotation if there are rainouts that allow them to do that through next week? I guess one rainout would move the fifth starter's spot to Monday in Baltimore, and 2 or 3 to Tuesday or Wednesday in Baltimore. I think they would have to have three rainouts to skip the fifth starter altogether until week after next if I'm counting right..  

#35 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

Any confirmation any where that it's Mejia Saturday?

I haven't seen anything official but I'd put 90% odds on it being Mejia. I just dug into the wrap for last night's Red Wings game and, as previously mentioned, Mejia only went three innings. He only threw 33 pitches. No mention of weather interrupting the game or a reason for Mejia to leave the game at all.

Which means that unless the reporter missed something significant in that write-up, Mejia was pulled because he's going to start in Minnesota soon.

#36 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

Though I just found this, which adds to the confusion. The timeline doesn't make any sense. The article is dated May 15th but Mejia pitched on the 16th.

*shrugs*

http://www.cbssports...to-child-birth/

• Willihammer likes this

#37 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,364 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:09 AM

I think it's very possible the Twins have no idea who is starting Saturday as well
  • Mike Sixel and kab21 like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#38 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

I think it's very possible the Twins have no idea who is starting Saturday as well

During the broadcast last night, they said Molitor said he knew who is starting on Saturday, but he wanted to let it play out with the weather and everything before making the announcement.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,027 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

During the broadcast last night, they said Molitor said he knew who is starting on Saturday, but he wanted to let it play out with the weather and everything before making the announcement.

that actually makes sense, imo. No need to get anyone excited or promoted if not needed.

• bluechipper, LA VIkes Fan and WLFINN like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#40 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:56 AM

Though I just found this, which adds to the confusion. The timeline doesn't make any sense. The article is dated May 15th but Mejia pitched on the 16th.

*shrugs*

http://www.cbssports...to-child-birth/

I would assume the birthing took place some time between Mejia's last start on the 11th and yesterday.

In retrospect, one has to wonder if the impending birth wasn't affecting his mental preparation at the MLB level.  Certainly wouldn't be the first nervous father in the history of the world.

• Mike Sixel likes this