Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Malveaux: De Vries' perseverance pays off

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Craig Malveaux wrote a really good article on the Twins Cole De Vries who contemplated retirement several times throughout his minor league career.

http://www.startribu...86.html?refer=y

#2 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

I really enjoyed this story. My favorite part:

"When people doubt you or you're not considered a top prospect, as they call you, you have to outperform people, and when you get a chance, you have to take advantage of it," Twins manager Rod Gardenhire said. "Cole has done a good job. He's given us a lot of quality performances and put himself in a very good position to start in this league."

In some ways I wonder if we aren't still underestimating De Vries a little. His underlying numbers: 59 IP, 41K, 12BB are plenty good enough to be a starting pitcher in the majors. That's a solid strike rate and decent control. He's not going to be an ace, but he could have decent career with numbers like that and be a mid-rotation starter.

I'm certainly higher on him than I am on Deduno or Blackburn right now.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

"When people doubt you or you're not considered a top prospect, as they call you, you have to outperform people, and when you get a chance, you have to take advantage of it," Twins manager Rod Gardenhire said. "Cole has done a good job. He's given us a lot of quality performances and put himself in a very good position to start in this league."

In some ways I wonder if we aren't still underestimating De Vries a little. His underlying numbers: 59 IP, 41K, 12BB are plenty good enough to be a starting pitcher in the majors. That's a solid strike rate and decent control. He's not going to be an ace, but he could have decent career with numbers like that and be a mid-rotation starter.

I'm definitely higher on him than I was even a couple of weeks ago. He's performing well above my expectations (which were virtually zero) and I'm starting to hope that he might have staying power at the back of a major league rotation.

#4 TwinsWolvesLynxBlog

TwinsWolvesLynxBlog

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

My first reaction of Cole De Vries was he is a nice story but he won't last more than a few starts. After a few more starts he was still pitching decent, and has surprised me and many others. I still think him having a long career in the Majors, but for a team like the Twins with a bad rotation I think he could hang around for a few years. If he can keep up his numbers he had before last nights start, the Twins should keep him around for next year unless they sign multiple free agent pitchers.

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

After his really good season in 2011 (as a closer for New Britain and a set up guy who ended up starting a bit in AAA) followed by a really good AFL performance as a starter, I was practically flabbergasted that the Twins did not extend an invite to the MLB Spring Training to him, like they did to a whole bunch of newly signed MiLB FAs... Good to see him making the team. And btw, now with Liriano gone, he leads the rotation in K/9 (6.3) and is second to Scott Diamond in WHIP (1.21 vs 1.17). 1.21 WHIP is worth of any MLB rotation as is his 3.5 K/BB. There might be some regression over there (.251 BABIP) but definitely he is the second best pitcher in the team right now and his name should be penciled in the #4 spot for next season, after Diamond's at the #3 spot.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,484 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

After his really good season in 2011 (as a closer for New Britain and a set up guy who ended up starting a bit in AAA) followed by a really good AFL performance as a starter, I was practically flabbergasted that the Twins did not extend an invite to the MLB Spring Training to him, like they did to a whole bunch of newly signed MiLB FAs...

It was just another proverbial slap in the face for De Vries. It's that perseverance that I don't know if I would have. Signed as a non-drafted free agent, he's always had to earn everything he's got. 2010 was the only season that he really struggled, and he clearly made good adjustments in 2011. The Twins told him that they didn't invite him to spring training because they know what they have in him. I completely agreed with bringing in a bunch of minor league free agents. While Jared Burton, Casey Fien, Sam Deduno and Luis Perdomo have proven to be worth while, the Twins have also released many of them like Jason Bulger, Brad Thompson, Daryl Thompson. All along, De Vries just continued to work hard and keep proving himself. He finally got a chance. I thought when he was sent down that he would be DFAd at the same time, but they didn't. He went down and came back better. He's a pretty smart guy.

I think it goes back to a forum entry I started a couple months ago... The difference between a 4th or 5th start, a long reliever, a AAAA pitcher and a AAA pitcher might just be taking advantage of the opportunities given. As that quote says, you may not get a big chance or many chances, but you have to take advantage of it pretty quickly. I'm not sure what De Vries' upside is, probably a #5/#6 starter. But I now fully expect the Twins to keep him on the 40 man roster throughout the offseason, and he's earned that!

#7 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

that Gardy quote is what sometimes frustrates me with this organization. 'If you're not a top prospect'
Cole was extremely good in Beloit/Ft Myers in 07/08 (3.17ERA in 283IP 213K) goin a level at a time BUT at age 22/23, they never promoted him in-season or showed any real confidence in him despite him being a VERY solid performer.
In 09 @ New Brit...first 16 starts(thru July 12) 90.1IP 95h 31er (3.09ERA) 57k 26bb....pretty respectable correct??
They refused to promote him as a 24yr old--3 yr player who'd had great minor league numbers but they (like ASlama??) didnt deem to be a 'prospect'??? Possibly started doubted himself/organizations belief in him??
Last 10 starts 47.1IP 67h 45er (8.55era) 33k 20bb....so does MN see a great first 16 starts to build on or a bad last 10 starts to have him be 'organizational depth'???
Well in 2010, he's demoted to pen & has to repeat AA (tho he gets a 9 gm AAA bump) & then again is bumped back to New Brit as an afterthought in 11' but gets promoted again.
This is a part of what frustrates me about slow promotions in this organization....show no confidence in a player or show him that if you put up the numbers....the goal to get to the majors is there. Instead, you're just organizational depth & if we need a pitcher for the big team/AAA tm, we'll go out & get a Jeff Gray/Andrew Baldwin/Luis Perdomo/Aaron Thompson type (one example..not whole point).
This (tho ages are drastically different) is a reason Im a BJ Hermsen fan. He gets guys out without 'great stuff' while guys with 'great stuff' that cannot get hitters out regularly are rewarded (hello Jeff Gray/NBlackburn 'types')
Im not the most confident Cole is a fixture for the future rotation, but am elated that he proved the front office/team scouts/media wrong with his solid...yet unspectacular....season

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 11 August 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#8 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,301 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

After his really good season in 2011 (as a closer for New Britain and a set up guy who ended up starting a bit in AAA) followed by a really good AFL performance as a starter, I was practically flabbergasted that the Twins did not extend an invite to the MLB Spring Training to him, like they did to a whole bunch of newly signed MiLB FAs...

It was just another proverbial slap in the face for De Vries. It's that perseverance that I don't know if I would have. Signed as a non-drafted free agent, he's always had to earn everything he's got. 2010 was the only season that he really struggled, and he clearly made good adjustments in 2011. The Twins told him that they didn't invite him to spring training because they know what they have in him. I completely agreed with bringing in a bunch of minor league free agents. While Jared Burton, Casey Fien, Sam Deduno and Luis Perdomo have proven to be worth while, the Twins have also released many of them like Jason Bulger, Brad Thompson, Daryl Thompson. All along, De Vries just continued to work hard and keep proving himself. He finally got a chance. I thought when he was sent down that he would be DFAd at the same time, but they didn't. He went down and came back better. He's a pretty smart guy.

I think it goes back to a forum entry I started a couple months ago... The difference between a 4th or 5th start, a long reliever, a AAAA pitcher and a AAA pitcher might just be taking advantage of the opportunities given. As that quote says, you may not get a big chance or many chances, but you have to take advantage of it pretty quickly. I'm not sure what De Vries' upside is, probably a #5/#6 starter. But I now fully expect the Twins to keep him on the 40 man roster throughout the offseason, and he's earned that!

Agreed

And I bet there is something else (and actually really big) about him that I have not seen it written anywhere, but I sense that it is a huge factor:

Support by his parents and family. And you see his folks in all of his games. I am sure that they are well off and were not forcing him to get a real job that paid better than minor league wages, but helped him and were supportive in him reaching his dream. He is lucky this way. Lots of kids don't have this level of support.

Yeah. As far as performance goes, he did earn a spot in the roster for 2013. I would be surprised if he didn't. And, really, just watching him closer this season (I watched him pitch live while at AA and AAA around here a few seasons ago to last season) I think that his FB is adequate and his breaking stuff is good. I seriously think that he can replace Blackburn tomorrow and nobody will shed a tear.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

[quote name='thrylos98'][quote name='Seth Stohs'][quote name='thrylos98']After his really good season in 2011 (as a closer for New Britain and a set up guy who ended up starting a bit in AAA) followed by a really good AFL performance as a starter, I was practically flabbergasted that the Twins did not extend an invite to the MLB Spring Training to him, like they did to a whole bunch of newly signed MiLB FAs... [/QUOTE]

I think it goes back to a forum entry I started a couple months ago... The difference between a 4th or 5th start, a long reliever, a AAAA pitcher and a AAA pitcher might just be taking advantage of the opportunities given. As that quote says, you may not get a big chance or many chances, but you have to take advantage of it pretty quickly. I'm not sure what De Vries' upside is, probably a #5/#6 starter. But I now fully expect the Twins to keep him on the 40 man roster throughout the offseason, and he's earned that![/QUOTE]

Agreed

And I bet there is something else (and actually really big) about him that I have not seen it written anywhere, but I sense that it is a huge factor:

Support by his parents and family. And you see his folks in all of his games. I am sure that they are well off and were not forcing him to get a real job that paid better than minor league wages, but helped him and were supportive in him reaching his dream. He is lucky this way. Lots of kids don't have this level of support.

Yeah. As far as performance goes, he did earn a spot in the roster for 2013. I would be surprised if he didn't. And, really, just watching him closer this season (I watched him pitch live while at AA and AAA around here a few seasons ago to last season) I think that his FB is adequate and his breaking stuff is good. I seriously think that he can replace Blackburn tomorrow and nobody will shed a tear.[/QUOTE]
That quote, in itself, has so many possiblities for humour that Im gonna let it go