Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Acquire LHP Kevin Chapman For Danny Santana

kevin chapman danny santana
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,698 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:17 PM

Chapman was available to us twice on waivers back in March. The second time he cleared completely, which is why Atlanta was able to outright him off their 40-man.

The DFA'd DanSan who clearly was claimed. Getting anything not on the 40 man is better than nothing
  • Danchat and WLFINN like this

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,048 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

Anybody remember Drew Butera--and how some proclaimed "we won that deal"?

Didn't we? Am I mistaking my trades but didn't we turn him into Nunez and eventually Mejia?

• James, Danchat and Deduno Abides like this

#23 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,577 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:24 PM

Nice move. I didn't expect the Twins to get anything for Santana and a questionable lefty bullpen arm seems like a fair deal.

Unfortunately, a "questionable" player begs the question... ;-)

You're right, though. Santana is a questionable player, too. Maybe both guys can benefit from a change of scenery. 

• Blake likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#24 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:26 PM

The DFA'd DanSan who clearly was claimed. Getting anything not on the 40 man is better than nothing

Actually Santana wasn't claimed -- he was never waived. Likely he would have been claimed by a couple clubs, though, and the Braves offered Chapman to essentially jump the line.
  • Sconnie and KirbyDome89 like this

#25 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:30 PM

And while Chapman not being on the 40-man is nice, the Twins actually have an open 40-man spot with Tonkin removed. And if we add Chapman at any point, he is out of options which might limit our flexibility.

#26 tobi0040

tobi0040

• 5,693 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

The biggest win here is Santana is not around to get 200 AB and accumulate a negative win or two
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel, snepp and 6 others like this

#27 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,956 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Didn't we? Am I mistaking my trades but didn't we turn him into Nunez and eventually Mejia?

We sent Butera to the Dodgers and received Miguel Subaran in return.

Sulbaran pitched for the NYY AA and AAA teams last year.

He wasn't very good at it, though I don't know why we gave up on a 20 year old in A ball. Did we trade him?

Edited by Oldgoat_MN, 08 May 2017 - 07:42 PM.

• EddieMatthews likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#28 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,521 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:41 PM

Yes...better than nothing.

No need to keep a roster space for him, yet.

Him and Boshers can be the setup guys at Rochester (sic).

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#29 Sconnie

Sconnie

Wooo!

• 5,698 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

And while Chapman not being on the 40-man is nice, the Twins actually have an open 40-man spot with Tonkin removed. And if we add Chapman at any point, he is out of options which might limit our flexibility.

he passed waivers twice. Why is this a concern?
  • jud6312 and Dave The Dastardly like this

#30 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 08 May 2017 - 07:47 PM

We sent Butera to the Dodgers and received Miguel Subaran in return.
Sulbaran pitched for the NYY AA and AAA teams last year.
He wasn't very good at it, though I don't know why we gave up on a 20 year old in A ball. Did we trade him?

Yes, traded him for Nunez. Then traded for Mejia.
  • Oldgoat_MN, WLFINN, dbminn and 1 other like this
Papers...business papers.

#31 Tweety

Tweety

• 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:07 PM

So is the free 40-man spot gonna go to Park?

• Thrylos and HitInAPinch like this

#32 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 6,113 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:13 PM

Replacing Santana and gaining the 40 man spot is probably the overall win here. Adriana can at least play defense, though he might be a bit superfluous with Escobar on the roster.

The big win involves Pressly getting straightened out, and the likes of Berrios, Chargois, Burdi and Melotakis coming up. (Though that leaves us short a SP). Mejia!
  • Mike Sixel likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#33 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,598 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

I am tired of winning this kind of useless trade. It is nice, but doesn't move the needle. I hope Danny becomes a good player, but it wasn't working here. Moving on from him is probably good, but it didn't fix any of the real problems.
  • Kevin, Blackjack, notoriousgod71 and 4 others like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#34 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,751 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:23 PM

Just making sure I have things straight:

Too old to be a proespect. Pedestrian stuff, at best. Bad career numbers ....with putrid AAA numbers this year as a 30 year old....

....So, this guy will immediately be signed to an extension and given a two-year leash, be next year's opening day starter, and will bump Berrios to the bullpen?

The sad part is, given this club's track record, I can't even come up with a scenario ridiculous enough to be unbelievable.
  • Dave The Dastardly likes this

#35 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,290 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

Anybody remember Drew Butera--and how some proclaimed "we won that deal"?

If you wanted to keep Butera, then DFA'ing him was the mistake, not the trade. If DanSan becomes a vastly improved player, the blame should be on the DFA decision - the trade is just a cherry on top, it's likely they didn't want to keep him anyways.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#36 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:43 PM

he passed waivers twice. Why is this a concern?

Sometimes the team resists sending out guys without options, that's all. Not a big deal, but this is different than getting a non-40 man guy like, say, Miguel Sulbaran.

Another difference is that Chapman is eligible to become a minor league free agent after the season if not added to the 40-man roster, which might nudge the team to call him up this season for evaluation purposes even if he doesn't necessarily deserve it.
  • Sconnie likes this

#37 spycake

spycake

• 17,672 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

Yes, traded him for Nunez. Then traded for Mejia.

Although Nunez too was DFA'd at the time. It is quite possible that we could have acquired him even without Sulbaran, using any number of interchangeable assets. It is quite likely we could have instead acquired Nunez for, say, Tyler Jones.

Not that I have any problem with the Butera trade, but giving it credit for Nunez and then Mejia is probably overstating it (even if it is technically true in a transaction tree sense).

#38 Linus

Linus

• 2,372 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:54 PM

Scott Bowman once said nothing for nothing ain't much.

#39 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

The fact they got anything for DanSan is an accomplishment, but you have to wonder just how bad Chapman is.

He was just traded for the 3rd worst player in baseball over the last two years ... and the Braves had to throw in cash to get the deal done.

That, combined with someone else's comment about him being out of options, gives me this sense of horror that we're going to see him sooner rather than later.

#40 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• 5,207 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:46 AM

Just making sure I have things straight:

Too old to be a proespect. Pedestrian stuff, at best. Bad career numbers ....with putrid AAA numbers this year as a 30 year old....

....So, this guy will immediately be signed to an extension and given a two-year leash, be next year's opening day starter, and will bump Berrios to the bullpen?

The sad part is, given this club's track record, I can't even come up with a scenario ridiculous enough to be unbelievable.

That track record ended with the firing of Terry Ryan.  I don't really believe it is in Falvey's plans to hang onto Chapman very long.  He's cleared a spot and taken on a guy that can easily be dumped if he doesn't get ontrack in a few MiLB games.  Not much of a win, but still a win.

It's not my fault !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kevin chapman, danny santana