Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Red Sox @ Twins, 11:10AM PT (1:10PM CT)

game thread hawt taeks twins red sox
  • Please log in to reply
390 replies to this topic

#1 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 07:59 AM

The first game against the White Red Sox went well. Okay, maybe not well, but it wound up in the "Win" column due to late inning heroics by Joe Mauer.

Then, game II rolled around. And, as expected, the game was over early.

And here we go: game three with Ervin Santana on the mound against Chris Sale.

Should be a good one!

Deep Thoughts

1. Why is a baseball diamond, which is actually a square, called a diamond? If you do the geometry, the bases are arranged in a square, with each base 90 feet apart. And the pitching rubber is 60' 6" from home plate. Which is just over halfway to 2nd base. I'm not sure if it was due to bad math or if the Pythagorean Theorem had yet to be invented. Anyway, the actual half way distance is √ ((90x2)*2)/2, 63.639 inches. Although, if the distance is measured to the front of the pitching rubber, then, since the rubber is 6 inches wide, the math works, almost. Though for us purists,(I say purist, you say " Obsessive Compulsive) for it to be exactly right, the pitching rubber would need to be moved three inches plus a smidgen closer. (I may or may not have actually done the math)

1A. I suppose if one takes into account the outfield, then, yes, the total field resembles a diamond. Although, to me, it's more like the shape of giant snow cone. Which probably explains why some catches in the outfield are called "snowcones."

2. Baseball has expanded to become a world wide sport since its humble beginnings when Abner Doublday laid out the first baseball diamond. Since baseball is expanding, and with new worlds yet to be explored, who knows, maybe some day there will be a Universe Series in which all of the World Series winners will compete for the "Universe Series" title.

3. Park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Ah, the vagaries of the English language.

4. People complain about the length of baseball games. Yet, has anyone ever looked at the length of time it takes to play a football game? There are 4 quarters of 15 minutes each with half time being another 15 minutes. That totals up to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Yet, somehow, a football game takes 3 hours or more. Which is about the same amount of time for the greatest sport in the world, baseball.

5. Cheerleaders. For some reason, football sees a need for scantily clad attractive ladies on the sidelines to "cheer" the team on. Baseball, being a much more sober and thoughtful sport, doesn't resort to such frippery.

Lineups to follow.

Play ball!

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Riverbrian and 8 others like this

#2 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Lineups to follow.

MIN
Grossman RH
Polanco SS
Sano 3b
Vargas 1b
Escobar DH
Gimenez C
Rosario LF
Buxton CF
Adrianza 2b

Ervin Santana

BOS
Betts RF
Pedroia 2b
Bogaerts SS
Benintendi CF
Ramirez DH
Moreland 1b
Young LF
Leon C
Marrero 3b

Chris Sale

#3 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,522 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'd like Santana to keep his ERA under 1.0 today.This could be a quick game, low scoring, or.........

• Jerr and Craig Arko like this

he gone!

#4 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:27 AM

1. Why is a baseball diamond, which is actually a square, called a diamond?

Since we're doing math here, I'll point out that the 4 bases do not quite form a perfect 90-foot square. Home plate is located in fair territory inside the first base line and the third base line, with the point marking the corner of a 90-foot square. First base and third base are positioned such that the corner of the base toward the outfield along each foul line is 90 feet from the corner of home plate. Second base, however, is positioned with the center of the base located at the corner of the square. So home plate, first base and third base are positioned entirely inside the 90-foot square, but only the quarter of second base closest to home plate is within the square. Why should second base be different? Only the writer(s) of the rule knew, and he/she/they are no longer with us to answer.

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Blake and 5 others like this

#5 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,225 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

Looking forward to this one.
  • Jerr and spinowner like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,877 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

When a pitcher paints the inside corner, is he painting the inside front corner, or the inside back corner? Or is he really just painting the inside edge? Can an edge be painted? Does home plate need a new coat of white paint, or should we paint the black?
  • Blake and Riverbrian like this

#7 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

When a pitcher paints the inside corner, is he painting the inside front corner, or the inside back corner? Or is he really just painting the inside edge? Can an edge be painted? Does home plate need a new coat of white paint, or should we paint the black?

He's painting the side of the zone. The strike zone is a seven-sided prism. There are 15 edges and 10 corners.

Edited by spinowner, 07 May 2017 - 08:51 AM.

• Blake and Riverbrian like this

#8 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,225 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 07 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

He's painting the side of the zone. The strike zone is a seven-sided prism. There are 15 edges and 10 corners.

Some pitchers paint like Pollock and Dali, for better or worse. Usually worse.
  • Carole Keller, ashburyjohn, Blake and 2 others like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#9 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,004 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

Since we're doing math here, I'll point out that the 4 bases do not quite form a perfect 90-foot square. Home plate is located in fair territory inside the first base line and the third base line, with the point marking the corner of a 90-foot square. First base and third base are positioned such that the corner of the base toward the outfield along each foul line is 90 feet from the corner of home plate. Second base, however, is positioned with the center of the base located at the corner of the square. So home plate, first base and third base are positioned entirely inside the 90-foot square, but only the quarter of second base closest to home plate is within the square. Why should second base be different? Only the writer(s) of the rule knew, and he/she/they are no longer with us to answer.

Oh great, what have I done? 

I think I've "let loose the dogs of baseball minutiae." :)

Anyway, very cool!

• ashburyjohn, USAFChief, Jerr and 3 others like this

#10 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,995 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

Oh great, what have I done? 

I think I've "let loose the dogs of baseball minutiae." :)

Anyway, very cool!

From statistics to the rules of play, there's way more math in baseball than most other sports. Which is good.

• Riverbrian and Craig Arko like this

#11 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:11 AM

I literally have no idea what to expect today. Two great pitchers, two lineups that can score a bunch of runs or get shut down. Super dynamic/volatile game. Would want to bet this one.

$100 on Twins.
  • Circus Boy likes this

#12 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:14 AM

Some pitchers paint like Pollock and Dali, for better or worse. Usually worse.

The ones that paint like MC Escher are the real masters. The ump just calls them all strikes since they probably are strikes in one dimension or another.
  • ashburyjohn, USAFChief and spinowner like this

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,455 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

10 corners?

You'd think Gibson could've hit one once in a while, by accident if nothing else.
  • ashburyjohn, Blake, Jerr and 2 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#14 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 07 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

Not so fun fact: Aaron hicks has more hR then our OF combined.

We need Buxton to step up asap.

Edited by DaveW, 07 May 2017 - 09:46 AM.

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#15 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:07 AM

Nice to see Buxton back in the lineup.

• Carole Keller, USAFChief, DaveW and 2 others like this

#16 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:10 AM

Deep Thoughts

1. Why is a baseball diamond, which is actually a square, called a diamond? If you do the geometry, the bases are arranged in a square, with each base 90 feet apart. And the pitching rubber is 60' 6" from home plate. Which is just over halfway to 2nd base. I'm not sure if it was due to bad math or if the Pythagorean Theorem had yet to be invented. Anyway, the actual half way distance is((90x2)*2)/2, 9 i63.63 √ nches. Although, if the distance is measured to the front of the pitching rubber, then, since the rubber is 6 inches wide, the math works, almost. Though for us purists,(I say purist, you say " Obsessive Compulsive) for it to be exactly right, the pitching rubber would need to be moved three inches plus a smidgen closer. (I may or may not have actually done the math)

GREAT INTRO!!!!!!

I think I made some improvements by striking out the math, as we had a Game Thread that focused on it before. I'm sure some will appreciate that..."Chief"??????

I'm doing marinated chicken on the grill, as I EXPECT a Twins' win TODAY!!!!!!

Edit: I can see I was late as more Math, cubes, diamonds and squares quickly followed ;)

Edited by Jerr, 07 May 2017 - 10:23 AM.

• USAFChief and Blake like this

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. 

George Carlin

#17 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,455 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

Have I missed it...who is taking Tonkin's place?

//ill supply Ash's response for him: "dunno, but not Who. Who's on first."
  • ashburyjohn likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#18 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:18 AM

Welcome to the AL, Adrianza! Here's Chris Sale.

• ashburyjohn likes this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#19 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

Have I missed it...who is taking Tonkin's place?

//ill supply Ash's response for him: "dunno, but not Who. Who's on first."

Justin Haley

• USAFChief likes this

#20 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,483 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 07 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

Not so fun fact: Aaron hicks has more hR then our OF combined.

We need Buxton to step up asap.

Ahhh... The art of persistence.

I think I have fallen prey to it. :)

• ashburyjohn and DaveW like this

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, hawt taeks, twins, red sox