Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Alex Meyer

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#41 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:10 AM

Meyer had a trio of 4 yesterday, 4 IP, 4BB, 4ER

• PseudoSABR likes this

#42 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 21 May 2017 - 02:47 AM

Watched his start. The walks did him in, too many pitches.

I think he ends up being a bullpen guy unless he cuts that out.

Edited by DaveW, 21 May 2017 - 02:47 AM.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#43 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:48 AM

Watched his start. The walks did him in, too many pitches.

I think he ends up being a bullpen guy unless he cuts that out.

A hard throwing version of Kinzler? Senor smoked?

#44 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:54 AM

A hard throwing version of Kinzler? Senor smoked?

More upside. He's a frustrating pitcher to watch, he looks so dominate at times, then just loses control.

I do like how the LAA are giving him plenty of shots to start though.
  • glunn, Oldgoat_MN, LA VIkes Fan and 2 others like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#45 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

More upside. He's a frustrating pitcher to watch, he looks so dominate at times, then just loses control.

I do like how the LAA are giving him plenty of shots to start though.

The options on the Dodger that are on the 40 man and uninjured are?They have little choice but to remove doubt. If they need another starter, someone will either have to be injured or dfa'd. In Meyer's case, either could happen.

#46 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

The Angels have been pretty aggressive with Meyer since they acquired him, so it's not entirely desperation. But he could get demoted soon for Fister.

#47 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:57 AM

Meyer had a trio of 4 yesterday, 4 IP, 4BB, 4ER

It was a shakier outing again, although through 4 IP Meyer was fairly effective. Only 2 hits, 2 runs, 3 BB and 7 K at that point.

But a double, walk, and error got him pulled in the 5th.

#48 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'd like to put a portable EEG on Meyer's head when he pitches. What the hell is going on in there??

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#49 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

Maybe he's really just a bullpen guy and the Twins were correct.

The Twins could use some bullpen guys?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#50 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

It was a shakier outing again, although through 4 IP Meyer was fairly effective. Only 2 hits, 2 runs, 3 BB and 7 K at that point.

But a double, walk, and error got him pulled in the 5th.

Fairly effective is 6 ip and 2-3 runs allowed,

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#51 Eris

Eris

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:12 PM

I was at the game last night.  We went to see Trout play.  It was very classical Alex Meyers.  I didn't think he would make it out of the first.  Recovered to have a 1, 2, 3 second.  Struggled in the 3rd.  Pitched a great 4th and lost it in the 5th.

#52 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Incorrect by current MLB standards. 6 IP and 3 ER is now deemed a "quality start." AL league average for SPs was indeed right around 4.5 in 2016.

For the game in question...

Meyer's FIP 3.30 xFIP 4.57

So, I guess "fairly effective" is a pretty accurate description.

Edited by jokin, 21 May 2017 - 09:34 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#53 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

Incorrect by current MLB standards. 6 IP and 3 ER is now deemed a "quality start." AL league average for SPs was indeed right around 4.5 in 2016.

For the game in question...

Meyer's FIP 3.30 xFIP 4.57

So, I guess "fairly effective" is a pretty accurate descript

At the end of the gamehe was charged with 4 runs. He could not pitch 6 innings. You may call that effective, but the effect was the team lost the game with him pitching. Thank you for showing the limitations of fip in the context of winning and losing individual games.That he did not give up a home run keeps the fip score low. An xfip of 4.5, way worse than league average, is not a sign of effectiveness.

• howieramone2 likes this

#54 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Which is exactly what I said.  Through 4 IP, Meyer was on pace to do exactly that (6 IP, 3 R).

#55 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

Meyer was placed on the 10-day DL today for back spasms, so he will miss at least 1 start.  (Probably 2, although perhaps not if they make it retroactive to his last start.)

#56 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:03 AM

Which is exactly what I said.  Through 4 IP, Meyer was on pace to do exactly that (6 IP, 3 R).

On pace to do something really means nothing as the final result of the game shows. Effectiveness wears down the second/third time through the order. Jeez Kyle Gibson pitched fairly effectively for all but one inning last time out.

#57 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,361 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:55 AM

I think this type of stat twisting could make anyone (maybe not Gibson) look 'effective'.

Mod note: let's please keep the invective down. A poster noted that the fifth inning did Meyer in, and that's not a reason for bickering.

/ edit - coincidentally the poster spoke for himself while I was typing.

• glunn likes this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#58 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:03 AM

On pace to do something really means nothing as the final result of the game shows. Effectiveness wears down the second/third time through the order. Jeez Kyle Gibson pitched fairly effectively for all but one inning last time out.

I said it was a "shaky outing" for Meyer.  What more do you want?  Am I not allowed to go into any detail about the performance?

If you don't care about the details of Meyer's performance, that's fine.  But I don't see the point in quibbling with people that do.

#59 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:31 AM

Look, the bottom line is that the Angels are doing what I think we all wanted the Twins to do at some point in the last year or two. There are going to throw him out there every fifth day for a while and see how he does (although the 10 day  DL will stop that for now). The Angels really have very little choice since they don't have much in the starting rotation. Some might say that was the Twins last year but I guess Meyer's mysterious injury prevented us from giving him his shot.

The good news is  that we actually may have gotten value out of the trade. Santiago has been "reasonably effective" this year and Busenitz looks like he actually might have the stuff to be an MLB reliever. I hope Meyer does well for the Angels.. I think the Twins are going to at least try to re-sign Santiago for another two or three years  and I think Busenitz will be in the bullpen this year at some point. this could be that rare situation where it's a good deal for both teams.

• glunn likes this

#60 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,024 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:46 AM

Look, the bottom line is that the Angels are doing what I think we all wanted the Twins to do at some point in the last year or two. There are going to throw him out there every fifth day for a while and see how he does (although the 10 day  DL will stop that for now). The Angels really have very little choice since they don't have much in the starting rotation. Some might say that was the Twins last year but I guess Meyer's mysterious injury prevented us from giving him his shot.

The good news is  that we actually may have gotten value out of the trade. Santiago has been "reasonably effective" this year and Busenitz looks like he actually might have the stuff to be an MLB reliever. I hope Meyer does well for the Angels.. I think the Twins are going to at least try to re-sign Santiago for another two or three years  and I think Busenitz will be in the bullpen this year at some point. this could be that rare situation where it's a good deal for both teams.

At the same time, his results show why the Twins pretty much stopped trying to throw him out there.

Papers...business papers.