Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Alex Meyer

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#181 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

Hicks for Murphy was a terrible deal. This is basically a nothing deal.

Aw, heck, Hicks for Murphy was nothin'. Now, Capps for Ramos...

• Mike Sixel, drjim and twinssouth like this

#182 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

Busenitz is a fringe mlb reliever, I wouldn't say otherwise.

But you think it's 50-50 that this fringe MLB reliever will accumulate more value than 12 (and counting) starts of league average ERA/FIP in a contending season?

#183 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

But you think it's 50-50 that this fringe MLB reliever will accumulate more value than 12 (and counting) starts of league average ERA/FIP in a contending season?

I didn't limit it to this season though I probably should have phrased it differently.

Meyer has shown that the Twins won't miss him and they evaluated him correctly.
Papers...business papers.

#184 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

He'd still be the third best starting pitcher by a mile in this organization. So what does that say for this front office?

Virtually nothing, because they didn't trade him.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, birdwatcher, Danchat and 1 other like this

#185 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

I didn't limit it to this season though I probably should have phrased it differently.

Meyer has shown that the Twins won't miss him and they evaluated him correctly.

I'm not high on Meyer long-term either, but we could have used 12 league average (and counting) starts so far in 2017. I think the poster above who said the Angels would in no way reverse this trade is on to something, even if you are pessimistic about Meyer.

And if the time period of your 50-50 proposition gets pushed too far out, what are the odds that Busenitz's value is even provided for the Twins? If Meyer indeed flames out now, and Busenitz manages to exceed his value as a journeyman reliever somewhere down the line, your proposition might come true but it doesn't necessarily mean it was a good trade for the Twins.

#186 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

Virtually nothing, because they didn't trade him.

True, although the ones who traded him are still employed by this front office. I was always puzzled why they made this particular move after TR was sacked. It seemed akin to a salesman, given 2 weeks notice, setting up his troublesome client with another dealership, rather than giving his replacement a chance to salvage the relationship. (And the fact that he was a troublesome client was part of the reason the salesman was being let go...)

#187 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

True, although the ones who traded him are still employed by this front office. I was always puzzled why they made this particular move after TR was sacked. It seemed akin to a salesman, given 2 weeks notice, setting up his troublesome client with another dealership, rather than giving his replacement a chance to salvage the relationship. (And the fact that he was a troublesome client was part of the reason the salesman was being let go...)

I agree in that the move didn't make much sense to me. Antony knew his job was temporary, yet he moved a somewhat significant piece to relieve payroll.

And while Antony is still employed with the org, I understand why that is the case. Anyone who has worked in a big organization knows the value of long-term employees during a transition phase. You need someone to guide you through the day-to-day stuff while the new boss(es) gets situated. All I hope is that Antony doesn't have much in the way of decision-making power in the new org (which is probably the case, as there are two new people above him).

• ashburyjohn likes this

#188 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

I would bet good money Meyer puts up more WAR than what the Twins currently have left from that trade. 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#189 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

I agree in that the move didn't make much sense to me. Antony knew his job was temporary, yet he moved a somewhat significant piece to relieve payroll.

There was never any payroll relief. While the decision to tender Santiago was ultimately up to the new FO, I highly doubt that the old FO would have nontendered him. It was strictly a move to exchange Nolasco and possibly Meyer.

In that sense, by bWAR, we probably would have been better off releasing Nolasco and simply giving his starts/innings to Meyer. (Although Nolasco has been above replacement/Santiago level with the Angels so far too...)
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#190 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,747 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

There was never any payroll relief. While the decision to tender Santiago was ultimately up to the new FO, I highly doubt that the old FO would have nontendered him. It was strictly a move to exchange Nolasco and possibly Meyer.

In that sense, by bWAR, we probably would have been better off releasing Nolasco and simply giving his starts/innings to Meyer. (Although Nolasco has been above replacement/Santiago level with the Angels so far too...)

Yeah, said "payroll relief", meant "payroll flexibility".

#191 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

FYI, Meyer is pitching right now (late Wednesday night) versus the Nationals on ESPN.

#192 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

New longest (and likely best) start ever for Meyer, against the organization that drafted him: 7 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 7 K. Only 88 pitches, 52 strikes. 8 groundouts, 3 flyouts.

He had a perfect game until 2 outs in the fifth, and a no hitter until 2 outs in the 6th.
  • Craig Arko likes this

#193 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,109 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

FYI, Meyer is pitching right now (late Wednesday night) versus the Nationals on ESPN.

As predicted, he was sent down to get another player up for 10 days. This wasn't a demotion.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#194 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:36 AM

Meyer to the 10 day DL again. Shoulder inflammation this time (earlier this season it was back spasms):

https://www.mlbtrade...-10-day-dl.html

#195 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,589 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

The picture is coming into view, and Meyer is having a decent season. The Angels really couldn't have asked for more. Meyer also has a interesting home/road split, which the Angels might consider when they line up their rotation for 2018.

Oh well.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#196 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,632 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:24 AM

The picture is coming into view, and Meyer is having a decent season. The Angels really couldn't have asked for more. Meyer also has a interesting home/road split, which the Angels might consider when they line up their rotation for 2018.

Oh well.

Except that the other issue with Meyer just came up again. Shoulder inflammation. 

I would be surprised if Meyer made it through two seasons as a starter. I hope he does. I am rooting for him even if it makes the Twins look bad for trading him away but he was continually on the DL and scouting reports always questioned this.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#197 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:45 PM

Alex Meyer will undergo labrum surgery on his right shoulder on Tuesday and will be sidelined until 2019.
Yikes. Meyer has dealt with shoulder issues for years and has been out for nearly all of the season half while battling his latest problem. It's a shame, as while he's never shown an ability to throw strikes consistently, Meyer was missing a bunch of bats this season and posted a sub-4.00 ERA. Now he'll go a year and a half between appearances and might never be the same following the procedure.

From Rotoworld

Meyer is undergoing the same surgery that Glen Perkins went under last year. Maybe it turns out the Twins were right to give up on Meyer because of those shoulder issues as he'll most likely never be the same. And they did get Busenitz from that trade - who knew he might end up being the most important guy in that trade!

• jokin, DocBauer and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#198 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:46 PM

From Rotoworld

Meyer is undergoing the same surgery that Glen Perkins went under last year. Maybe it turns out the Twins were right to give up on Meyer because of those shoulder issues as he'll most likely never be the same. And they did get Busenitz from that trade - who knew he might end up being the most important guy in that trade!

As expected. A whole lot of concern over a trade that will basically end up as a wash.
Papers...business papers.

#199 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

As expected. A whole lot of concern over a trade that will basically end up as a wash.

Well, it's not a good trade when your long-term hope is that it winds up being a wash, but I do appreciate the start Nolasco made on behalf of the Twins the other night.
  • Mike Sixel and Danchat like this

#200 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

Will be interesting to see if the Angels keep him on the 40-man this winter. Would be tempting to remove him, although I have no idea if they really need a spot. Probably not with their thin farm.

If he stays on the 40-man, he would go on the 60-day DL next spring and get a full year MLB salary and service time while he recovers, so there is a little silver lining for Meyer.
  • Mike Sixel likes this