Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Alex Meyer

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 05:39 AM

Meyer logged another poor start for the Angels last night. He had a poor one in AAA prior, but the Angels apparently needed an arm to fill in for Tyler Skaggs so back to MLB he came.

Basically the same issues that plagued him in Minnesota:

http://www.cbssports...again-thursday/

He lacked control and command Thursday, falling behind early in counts, leading to either walks or hard contact off the bats of Seattle hitters. Meyer possesses a high-90s fastball and a big curveball, but he has abandoned his changeup completely, leaving the tall righty with a repertoire probably better suited for the bullpen.

With Skaggs and Richards out, it will be interesting to see if Meyer gets a long-term opportunity here, and what comes of it. The Angels are not brimming with options, but they are still in the contention mix.

Edited by spycake, 05 May 2017 - 05:44 AM.

• glunn likes this

#2 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:32 AM

Maybe he's really just a bullpen guy and the Twins were correct.
  • brvama likes this

#3 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 06:52 AM

With his command issues he may not be a major league pitcher at all.

It's a shame, that trade didn't work out but I supported the reasoning behind it. Some guys just never put all that talent together.
  • birdwatcher, beckmt, jun and 3 others like this

#4 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:12 AM

Every time Hector Santiago pitches well that trade looks better and better.

• David HK, howieramone2 and bighat like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

I hope he does well.  I really think the shoulder injury that tweaked his mechanics are the problem. A shame.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:00 AM

With his command issues he may not be a major league pitcher at all.

It's a shame, that trade didn't work out but I supported the reasoning behind it. Some guys just never put all that talent together.

Yep. Sometimes good thinking leads to bad results.

The real heist *should* have been the Revere trade but between Worley collapsing with the Twins and May getting bounced around and injured, that trade is much closer in overall value than it should have been.

• Mike Frasier Law, beckmt, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this

#7 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 05 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

In this context, it's hard to fault Falvey for not trading Dozier for De Leon.
  • Mike Frasier Law, beckmt, bighat and 1 other like this
Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,700 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

In this context, it's hard to fault Falvey for not trading Dozier for De Leon.

How are those related at all? 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#9 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

Similar story last night, although a slightly better end result.  5 BB in 5.1 IP, but only one of them came around to score.  2 HR to Yonder Alonso -- maybe Meyer would have been better off with 2 more walks? :)

But Meyer did manage 7 K's (5 swinging), pitched into the 6th inning and got the win thanks to the Angels offense.

• Mike Sixel, h2oface and David HK like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:08 AM

I missed Meyer's start yesterday (Sunday May 14), but it was his best yet in MLB, possibly his best anywhere since Rochester in April 2016.  A ground rule double and RBI single to start the game, then he didn't give up another hit until 1 out in the 6th inning.  Only scattered 2 walks in that time too, out-dueling Verlander for the win.  His final line:

6.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 K, 96 pitches (61 strikes)

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor, gil4 and 2 others like this

#11 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:11 AM

Good for Meyer.  And on a day when Hector stunk, no less.  

#12 blindeke

blindeke

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

I missed Meyer's start yesterday (Sunday May 14), but it was his best yet in MLB, possibly his best anywhere since Rochester in April 2016.  A ground rule double and RBI single to start the game, then he didn't give up another hit until 1 out in the 6th inning.  Only scattered 2 walks in that time too, out-dueling Verlander for the win.  His final line:

6.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 K, 96 pitches (61 strikes)

That is good. Those K's would look mighty tasty in the Twins rotation.

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,585 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:23 PM

I'm glad for him.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt and TheLeviathan like this

#14 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,440 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, the Meyer and Hicks trades really could blow up in this franchises face when it's all said and done.

I don't think Meyer is a sure thing, but I would be much more excited about him getting starts then Tespech etc this year.

Sigh
  • David HK likes this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#15 howieramone2

howieramone2

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 749 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 16 May 2017 - 10:56 AM

Yeah, the Meyer and Hicks trades really could blow up in this franchises face when it's all said and done.

I don't think Meyer is a sure thing, but I would be much more excited about him getting starts then Tespech etc this year.

Sigh

Antony made a great trade. Look for Santiago to get 3 years for approximately 35-40M this offseason.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

Some of our members pretend to be smarter than our FO. I pretend they are right.

#16 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,440 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

The part that bugs me, is that I am 99.9% sure they could have gotten that deal done without sending along Meyer.

Just pick up an extra few bucks of Nolascos contract and it's a done deal.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#17 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

The part that bugs me, is that I am 99.9% sure they could have gotten that deal done without sending along Meyer.

Maybe, but a few decent starts doesn't make me feel any better about his shoulder.

The longer he stays a starter, IMO, the more risk there is he blows his arm out.

#18 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,440 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:50 PM

Maybe, but a few decent starts doesn't make me feel any better about his shoulder.

The longer he stays a starter, IMO, the more risk there is he blows his arm out.

True.

But even then I still think he would make a potential solid closer or 8th inning guy (something the Twins don't exactly have in spades these days...)

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I don't think that was the case. The Angels don't really give a damn about money but their farm system is laughably bad. I suspect they had to (unwillingly) take on Nolasco as part of the deal. Even getting Nolasco for free is a downgrade when you give up Santiago in return.

It's possible the Twins could have moved another prospect instead of Meyer but if I was the Angels, I would have absolutely demanded a prospect in the deal or there was no reason for them to make the move at all.

• DJSim22, ThejacKmp, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

#20 DaveW

DaveW

• Members
  • 12,440 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

I don't think that was the case. The Angels don't really give a damn about money but their farm system is laughably bad. I suspect they had to (unwillingly) take on Nolasco as part of the deal. Even getting Nolasco for free is a downgrade when you give up Santiago in return.

It's possible the Twins could have moved another prospect instead of Meyer but if I was the Angels, I would have absolutely demanded a prospect in the deal or there was no reason for them to make the move at all.

No matter the reason, trading Meyer was a stupid decision by an inept organization that hadn't won didly squat since 1991.

It was dumb. Period.