Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

A Look Back at April

defense starting pitching bullpen buxton
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'm not getting too excited yet.  5 of the 12 wins were against a bad Royals team.

#22 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 05:32 PM

"Closer" Brandon Kintzler has been fine".  1 run given up in over 11 innings, all of them high leverage. 7 for 7 saves.  If we had Perkins and Jepsen's performances of last year instead our record is likely the same as KC's and our whole discussion of how this team is doing would be markedly different.   

I was also looking at Buxton's performance but over 4 games.  4-11 with 5  walks and only one strikeout. You can talk about Sano and should but if Buxton had not stepped up his game it would probably turn the outcomes of a couple games. Yes, SSS but he  is looking better every at bat.

• TNTwinsFan likes this

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#23 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,675 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

One game over .500, in all games except maybe 2, lost a couple we shouldn't have lost. This looks almost like a completely different team than the one that was playing last April. If course, in many respects they are. This was not the OF we had at the beginning of last season, nor the left side of the infield. Like them or not, Grossman and Santiago were not on the team this time last year either.

The defense has been, largely, excellent and there is every reason to believe it will continue to get better. Offensively, the team is performing well, making contact and walking at vastly higher rates. They've been doing well despite leaving runners on, Dozier and Rosario off to slow starts and Buxton and Mayer being awful. Hits are starting to fall for Rosario now. Dozier is still contributing and should heat up soon. Buxton has recently looked completely different. Hopefully, we see at least some of the old Mauer soon.

If Hughes can keep re-inventing himself, I feel better about the rotation, but it obviously still needs work and Berrios and Mejia both, eventually, hopefully.

The pen is OK, but will need re-inforcements at some point. Thankfully, there are a couple guys on the way.

All on all, happily surprised by April but not shocked.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#24 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

I regret the fact that I never took the time to write a post during the off-season entitled "making the case." There was a case to be made, which nobody believed, that the Twins could be competitive this year.

One month in, and I still think it's possible. Above 500, with Berrios about to be called up, and Buxton, Mauer and Dozier all with plenty of room to improve. (Maybe Gibson too? Just maybe?)

The real shame is that Trevor May is hurt. Would have loved to see him in this rotation.

Anyway, I'm holding out hope the Twins could sustain this. Imagine if they hung around into June...and Falvey could contemplate trading for a starter this summer?

#25 DJSim22

DJSim22

Charlestown

• Members
  • 543 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

The reason players like the long contracts is Guaranteed money. They never know when an injury may shorten their career and take away future dollars. There is a big risk reward thing going on with not accepting the long contracts if offered. That is also why many teams are leery of those big contracts...

(Insert Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau comparisons here:)

Given his age and our current budget, I would love to see the Twins give him more money now to decrease what we need to give him later. Go NHL on it and front load the contract even.

(Insert Zach Parise comparison here)

I get the idea, but I wouldn't use the worst contract in hockey as an example.

• goulik likes this

#26 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,784 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 08:08 PM

"Closer" Brandon Kintzler has been fine". 1 run given up in over 11 innings, all of them high leverage.

No doubt Kintzler has been effective this year, but not all of his innings have been high leverage. 17 out of 44 plate appearances have been high leverage, per B-Ref:

http://www.baseball-...t=p#lever::none

Duffey and Rogers top him for game-entering leverage index so far in 2017, with Belisle and Pressly not far behind:

http://www.fangraphs...yers=0&sort=9,d
  • Dantes929 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: defense, starting pitching, bullpen, buxton