Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 Minor League Transactions

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

Anyone know when Gonsalves will be put in a minor league roster?

He said that his last scheduled appearance in EST is May 15th... I wonder if they would have him make a start or two for Ft. Myers before moving him up to Chattanooga? I think I would. 

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:15 AM

In recent days, Shane Kennedy was added to the Ft. Myers roster with Trey Vavra headed to the DL. 

Also, I'm sure people saw that Zack Granite was added to the Miracle roster. 

#23 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:27 PM

Byung Ho Park Activated to AAA Rochester roster, Quentin Berry released

https://www.mlbtrade...tions-5917.html

#24 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

In related news, there's a spot open on the 40 man roster. Park will get that spot in a week or two and come up to the team. 

Edited by LA VIkes Fan, 09 May 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#25 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

In related news, there's a spot open on the 40 man roster. Park will get that spot in a week or two and come up to the team.

And take who's spot on the 25 man?

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

The duplication is Adrianza and Escobar. Absent injury, a trade or a flurry with the bat, I would expect Adrianza to go the DFA route. The Twins need the RH power bat more than the slick glove. The other logical loser would be Grossman but we need him as the 4th OF and he is hitting some with the high OBP. 

#27 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'd doubt it unless there is an injury.

#28 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

The duplication is Adrianza and Escobar. Absent injury, a trade or a flurry with the bat, I would expect Adrianza to go the DFA route. The Twins need the RH power bat more than the slick glove. The other logical loser would be Grossman but we need him as the 4th OF and he is hitting some with the high OBP. 

If Falvey wanted to DFA Adrianza he would have done so when his rehab stint was over.  Why activate him and then release him in two weeks or less?

Regardless, if someone replaces Adrianza it is much more likely to be an outfielder, like Zach Granite.  As you say, Escobar and Adrianza duplicate roles.  Right now, Mauer and Vargas duplicate.  Bring up Park and you have 3 guys that can only play first or DH.  Grossman also is used a LOT as the DH and Sano gets a game there and at first every so often.  So, in your scenario, who loses at bats?  Vargas, who is arguably the second best hitter on the team, or Grossman who is probably 3rd or 4th, or the $23,000,000 man?

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'd put it at almost 0% that this team carries Maier, Grossman, Vargas AND Park on the same 25 man roster.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#30 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:55 PM

Grossman loses the at bats and becomes the classic 4th OF playing 2-3 times a week, usually against LH pitching while Kepler (who is really struggling against LHs) or Rosario sits.  I think Adrianza is up to see if he can hit well enough to stay and maybe play a decent OF.  If he can, some trade possibilities open up for Escobar, Grossman, Park or Vargas.  Adrianza is a better fielder than Escobar and more versatile if he can play the OF.  Escobar last year - .235/.280/.338 (.618). this year - .226/.305/.434 (.739) and an average fielder. I like the guy but this might be an upgrade.  

#31 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 03:59 PM

P.S. If he can't hit, he goes for Park. The last spot is the redundant spot. They need to give Park a shot this year and they will find a way to do it.  

#32 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 04:05 PM

Grossman loses the at bats and becomes the classic 4th OF playing 2-3 times a week, usually against LH pitching while Kepler (who is really struggling against LHs) or Rosario sits.  I think Adrianza is up to see if he can hit well enough to stay and maybe play a decent OF.  If he can, some trade possibilities open up for Escobar, Grossman, Park or Vargas.  Adrianza is a better fielder than Escobar and more versatile if he can play the OF.  Escobar last year - .235/.280/.338 (.618). this year - .226/.305/.434 (.739) and an average fielder. I like the guy but this might be an upgrade.  

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if Adrianza replaces Escobar either this season or next.  Adrianza is a guy Falvey signed.  He inherited Escobar.

But why take at bats away from Grossman?  He's EARNED the at bats and IMO the Twins need to find out if he fits in to the future plans of this team.  Same for Vargas.  IMO, NOT true for Park or Joe Mauer.  Falvey inherited Park as well.  If he wants to let him shine in AAA as an example of what Terry Ryan meant to this organization, I'm fine with it.

Kepler isn't going to get better against LHP if he continually sits when they start.  He may NEVER get better, but the Twins need to find that out too.

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

Another big day of transactions:

Michael Tonkin outrighted to Rochester.

Nick Tepesch optioned to Rochester. 

Engelb Vielma promoted to Rochester.

Ben Paulsen released.

Adalberto Mejia to the "temporary inactive list"

Ryan Strausborger off the DL and sent to Chattanooga.

TJ White activated from DL in Chattanooga.

Tanner Englished sent from Chattanooga to Ft. Myers.

Chris Anderson released by Twins/Ft. Myers.

Zack Tillery added to the Kernels (the corresponding move from Tyler Wells going on their DL late last week).

That might be it. Hey, if others see minor league transactions, please feel free to add them here.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#34 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Kinda feel sorry for Ben Paulson. I mean, I don't want him in MLB rather than Vargas or Park, but he's got a career .283/.349/.494 (.843) slash line in AAA and can't get onto anyone's 25 man roster. 

Stiff competition for 1B out there. Good luck to him.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#35 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,501 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Kinda feel sorry for Ben Paulson. I mean, I don't want him in MLB rather than Vargas or Park, but he's got a career .283/.349/.494 (.843) slash line in AAA and can't get onto anyone's 25 man roster. 

Stiff competition for 1B out there. Good luck to him.

Watched Paulsen a week ago today.He was pressing and physically and verbally upset when he was not getting hits.With Park being activated, he lost his DH spot.Nothing much you can do with a 30 year old who is not performing in AAA.

Lots of that AAA career slash line (other than this season) was at Colorado Springs that has a ballpark even more prone to inflated numbers than Denver...

• Oldgoat_MN likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#36 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,501 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:01 PM

Adalberto Mejia to the "temporary inactive list"

aka "Let's not risk injury until his next MLB start" List

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

I don't think I'd make book on that.  It's just as likely to be Kyle Gibson who is pitching tonight.  6 K through 3 IP, btw.

#38 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

aka his significant other is having a baby.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, Mike Sixel and Bob Sacamento like this

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

In Baseball America's transactions page this week, it shows the Twins:

Signed RHP Kam Mickolio (See more here: http://twinsdaily.co...-kam-mickolio/)

Also, 2016 draft pick, RHP Quin Grogan was released. 

Chattanooga just announced that RHP Paul Clemens is going on the DL with a right shoulder impingement, and Nik Turley has been assigned to the Lookouts (And will start tonight). 

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,471 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

shoulder impingement sounds bad! Good luck.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?