Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 Minor League Transactions

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:19 AM

Alright, I should have started this 3 weeks ago, so let's fill this in.

4/28/17 - 

Hector Santiago (bereavement list).

Buddy Boshers promoted to Twins.

Nik Turley promoted to Rochester.

JT Chargois placed on Rochester DL (elbow impingement)

Randy LeBlanc promoted to Chattanooga.

Chris Anderson promoted to Ft. Myers from EST.

#2 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

Glad Turley was promoted. 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,501 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:26 AM

JT Chargois placed on Rochester DL (elbow impingement)

Elbow or shoulder?

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,913 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 April 2017 - 11:44 AM

The Chargois thing doesn't make me happy... we need better arms in the pen and I was hoping he cemented on of those spots this season...

#5 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

If Turley is now in Rochester wouldn't that also mean a member of Rochester's rotation is heading to the Twins? Someone like Jose Berrios? Because with the addition of Turley as of right now Rochester there are 6 starters (Berrios, Slegers, Wheeler, Hurlbot, Mejia, and Turley). Just seems like someone might be leaving Rochester.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 01:56 PM

If Turley is now in Rochester wouldn't that also mean a member of Rochester's rotation is heading to the Twins? Someone like Jose Berrios? Because with the addition of Turley as of right now Rochester there are 6 starters (Berrios, Slegers, Wheeler, Hurlbot, Mejia, and Turley). Just seems like someone might be leaving Rochester.

Or going to the Rochester pen to replace Chargois...

-----

#7 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

Everyone seems to think Berrios will be up on May 6th when the Twins need their 5th starter again.  Berrios would be scheduled to pitch Sunday and would certainly be ready to come up and start on the 6th.  

I would assume Turley will start in AAA until there is some reason to have him not start.

Mejia is scheduled to start tonight.  Aaron Slegers would be in line tomorrow, with Berrios as I said on Sunday.  Monday is an off day. Turley will likely start Tuesday, David Hurlbut  Wednesday May 3 and Jason Wheeler on May 4.  Then back to Mejia on the 5th.  Aaron Slegers would be the guy most likely bumped from the AAA rotation to make room for Turley if the Twins for some reason decide to have Tepesch or Duffey be the 5th starter instead of Berrios.  IMO, it is far more likely that Tepesch relieves Gibson in like the 3rd inning tonight and makes his first start for the Twins in Gibson's place next Thursday.  Talk about a best case scenario.  I can't imagine a more favorable slot for Berrios than to follow Santana in the rotation.  Every time Santana pitches, Berrios' start would be next, so he would be thinking about it.  Watching how Ervin goes about his business.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:36 PM

Everyone seems to think Berrios will be up on May 6th when the Twins need their 5th starter again.  Berrios would be scheduled to pitch Sunday and would certainly be ready to come up and start on the 6th.  

I would assume Turley will start in AAA until there is some reason to have him not start.

Mejia is scheduled to start tonight.  Aaron Slegers would be in line tomorrow, with Berrios as I said on Sunday.  Monday is an off day. Turley will likely start Tuesday, David Hurlbut  Wednesday May 3 and Jason Wheeler on May 4.  Then back to Mejia on the 5th.  Aaron Slegers would be the guy most likely bumped from the AAA rotation to make room for Turley if the Twins for some reason decide to have Tepesch or Duffey be the 5th starter instead of Berrios.  IMO, it is far more likely that Tepesch relieves Gibson in like the 3rd inning tonight and makes his first start for the Twins in Gibson's place next Thursday.  Talk about a best case scenario.  I can't imagine a more favorable slot for Berrios than to follow Santana in the rotation.  Every time Santana pitches, Berrios' start would be next, so he would be thinking about it.  Watching how Ervin goes about his business.

I've been wrong many times before, but I would be surprised if they bumped Slegers from the rotation. He's a prospect. Turley likely to the 'pen. Boshers will be back there by Monday or whenever Santiago gets back.

I think right now it's a toss-up on whether Berrios or Mejia would come up to start on the 6th.

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,471 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 09:40 PM

I've been wrong many times before, but I would be surprised if they bumped Slegers from the rotation. He's a prospect. Turley likely to the 'pen. Boshers will be back there by Monday or whenever Santiago gets back.

I think right now it's a toss-up on whether Berrios or Mejia would come up to start on the 6th.

You think they would seriously keep Berrios down?. Ugh.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#10 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:31 AM

IMO Slegers is more suspect than prospect. He pitched so so last year in AA and is not doing well this year. Regardless, he's a product of the old regime. Turley is a someone the new guys brought in. It seems unlikely to me they would bump him to AAA after 4 spectacular starts to move him to the pen. General rule of thumb is that a guy starts until he proves he can't. If they wanted to move a reliever up, they would have promoted Melotakis.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 29 April 2017 - 03:32 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,985 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 08:02 AM

IMO Slegers is more suspect than prospect. He pitched so so last year in AA and is not doing well this year. Regardless, he's a product of the old regime. Turley is a someone the new guys brought in. It seems unlikely to me they would bump him to AAA after 4 spectacular starts to move him to the pen. General rule of thumb is that a guy starts until he proves he can't. If they wanted to move a reliever up, they would have promoted Melotakis.

Slegers is 24. He'd had 3 starts in AAA. I'd be shocked (and disappointed) if they moved him that quickly.

Turley was 27 year old that signed a minor league deal without a big league invite who the team sent to AA to pitch in the bullpen 3 weeks ago. His only two starts for Chatanooga have been in doubleheaders.  I'm fine with them letting him start in AAA, I just can't imagine it would be in place of Slegers. Slegers has some upside. 

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

Slegers is 24. He'd had 3 starts in AAA. I'd be shocked (and disappointed) if they moved him that quickly.

Turley was 27 year old that signed a minor league deal without a big league invite who the team sent to AA to pitch in the bullpen 3 weeks ago. His only two starts for Chatanooga have been in doubleheaders. I'm fine with them letting him start in AAA, I just can't imagine it would be in place of Slegers. Slegers has some upside.

And it won't be. Unless the Twins decide to use Tepesch as their # 5 until Gibson finally pitches his way off the team. I would assume that Boshers is sent back to AAA on Tuesday (maybe Wednesday now depending on how they decide to slot starters). On May 6th I would expect Berrios to be called up replacing either Tonkin or Tepesch.

Still remains to be seen what will happen with Justin Haley. His "injury" seems quite vague and awfully convenient. My gut tells me it is a way for Falvey and Levine to buy themselves time while they decide if his upside is worth potentially getting more Twins players thrown at.

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 02:49 PM

You think they would seriously keep Berrios down?. Ugh.

They should get the pitcher who is pitching better.And right now Mejia is pitching better than Berrios.I'd love to see them rotating the hot pitchers in the end of the rotation and keep them in the majors until they cool off...Maybe both come up and Gibson goes down.  

AAA stats here.

-----

#14 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,236 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:25 PM

On May 6th I would expect Berrios to be called up replacing either Tonkin or Tepesch.

Small procedural note, Tepesch is out of minor-league options if I have counted correctly. I can't picture a front office selecting a player's contract only to expose him to waivers a few days later, if you mean sending him down to Rochester. Tonkin likely is the one they would ask waivers on.

Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative.

#15 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

Small procedural note, Tepesch is out of minor-league options if I have counted correctly. I can't picture a front office selecting a player's contract only to expose him to waivers a few days later, if you mean sending him down to Rochester. Tonkin likely is the one they would ask waivers on.

He probably is given his age and experience.  I doubt there would be much of an issue with him clearing waivers.  But, yes, Tonkin is probably the guy more likely to be waived.  In reality, how good does your mop up guy need to be?  The bottom line for the role is eating up innings no matter how badly your pitches are getting whacked around.  

Here's a funny fact.  Tepesch figures to gain enough service time just in these couple weeks to become eligible for arbitration as a super 2 player.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 29 April 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Anyone know when Gonsalves will be put in a minor league roster?

#17 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,501 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Anyone know when Gonsalves will be put in a minor league roster?

When the shoulder passes the tests and after a few starts at EST

-----

#18 FlauerPauer

FlauerPauer

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

They should get the pitcher who is pitching better.And right now Mejia is pitching better than Berrios.I'd love to see them rotating the hot pitchers in the end of the rotation and keep them in the majors until they cool off...Maybe both come up and Gibson goes down.  

AAA stats here.

In my opinion, I don't really know how we can compare one start to five starts.  Let's give Mejia a couple more before we say he's pitching better.

#StrikeoutsMatter

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

and Mejia was already up in the majors... and melted down.I have to think it's Berrios' turn for now.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,913 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

When the shoulder passes the tests and after a few starts at EST

haha

I was hoping for more detail... 

• Mike Sixel likes this