Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Well ****, what now?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:41 PM

What do you do this off season? Who do the wild lose in the expansion draft?

I don't think they can afford to lose Coyle, Zucker or Nino (Granny obviously will be protected)

I would do everything I could to get Poms to waive the NTC for the draft. No way they would pick him anyways.

Haula would suck to lose, but would be easier to swallow then the 4 I mentioned earlier.

I would prefer it be either scandella or brodin in that order. Dumba is frustrating as ****, but he is a RH shot and has a ton of potential. Scandella would be perfect since it would clear some needed cap room as well.
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 06:25 PM

I'd prefer to keep Marco, after that I got nothing.

#3 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:53 PM

You suckers are doomed. Go kings!

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#4 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

I'd prefer to keep Marco, after that I got nothing.

Ok, but who would you give up over him? Coyle? Zucker? Nino? Brodin? Dumba?

<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

Ok, but who would you give up over him? Coyle? Zucker? Nino? Brodin? Dumba?

Id prefer to lose Dumba or Brodin before Scandella. Our D is too small already and we have potential replacements for Brodin and Dumbas skills, but nothing like Scandella.

I'd try not to lose any of the young forwards at any cost.

#6 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:07 AM

Wild definitely need to go 7-3-1. Dumba gets protected, he's 3 years younger than Scandella and has a higher offensive ceiling than Brodin.

Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba. 

The size thing is an antiquated notion. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#7 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:11 AM

Wild definitely need to go 7-3-1. Dumba gets protected, he's 3 years younger than Scandella and has a higher offensive ceiling than Brodin.

Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba. 

The size thing is an antiquated notion. 

Normally I'd agree, but there are elements to it that are helpful.  I don't think running a bunch of Spurgeon-sized midgets with little physicality is a good thing either.  I'd like a blend of skill sets.

Either way, you're exposing Brodin as I would.  And he's the guy they'd take.

#8 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:26 AM

Normally I'd agree, but there are elements to it that are helpful.  I don't think running a bunch of Spurgeon-sized midgets with little physicality is a good thing either.  I'd like a blend of skill sets.

Either way, you're exposing Brodin as I would.  And he's the guy they'd take.

It's only helpful if they are also fast and skilled, size isn't a skill in itself. Ideally you want guys who drive play and suppress chances from the other team, it doesn't matter how big they are imo. 

#9 rghrbek

rghrbek

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 701 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:29 AM

I would absolutely be stunned if they protect Dumba.  Overall a regression year from him.  Yes offensive upside, but a little bit of a mess with the turn overs and odd man rushes given up.

My guess is they protect Brodin (could be Marco), with spurge and suts and leave everyone else exposed.

In that case we will lose either Brodin or Marco (whichever they leave exposed), not Dumba.  Thus our forwards are safe as well.

#10 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

It's only helpful if they are also fast and skilled, size isn't a skill in itself. Ideally you want guys who drive play and suppress chances from the other team, it doesn't matter how big they are imo. 

Scandella has a hard shot, he's a good skater, has excellent reach, and is physical.  To me, he provides much more to the team than Brodin.

I like Brodin, but if I have to lose one, that's the guy I'm choosing.

#11 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

Scandella has a hard shot, he's a good skater, has excellent reach, and is physical.  To me, he provides much more to the team than Brodin.

I like Brodin, but if I have to lose one, that's the guy I'm choosing.

Agreed, although Brodin is only 23, but you can't keep either unless you're protecting 4 D, which I can't see the Wild doing. 

• TheLeviathan and Vanimal46 like this

#12 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:42 AM

At this point, I don't know why people are so enamored with Dumba. Yes, he's fast, he hits, he's still young, and he has some offensive upside still (maybe), but he takes too many risks. As far as his shot goes, it is very hard. I can't say much more about it than that, though. Scandella is a better shooter than Dumba, if that's what you're into. 

#13 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 10:54 AM

Right-handed shots are hard to come by, especially with his skill set.

I guess I'd rather gamble another year with Scott Stevens takes the kid to the next level.

Brodin is workman-like and solid, but you can find ways to replace that.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

At this point, I don't know why people are so enamored with Dumba. Yes, he's fast, he hits, he's still young, and he has some offensive upside still (maybe), but he takes too many risks. As far as his shot goes, it is very hard. I can't say much more about it than that, though. Scandella is a better shooter than Dumba, if that's what you're into. 

Some offensive upside? How so? He's 22 and improving offensively all the time.

The "he's fast, still young and has some offensive upside"  part you mentioned, yeah, that's why people are enamoured with Dumba.  Simply no reason to give up on a player like that unless you are in win now mode and have better pieces. Even still, it's the type of move you'd ultimately regret making.

• Vanimal46 and SF Twins Fan like this

#15 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,033 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

Some offensive upside? How so? He's 22 and improving offensively all the time.

He sure didn't much of a step forward this season, neither in terms of offensive production nor defensive consistency. Pretty much stagnated. His greatest asset (his shot) is, in my opinion, not very good because he has little control over it. 

#16 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,907 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:30 PM

He sure didn't much of a step forward this season, neither in terms of offensive production nor defensive consistency. Pretty much stagnated. His greatest asset (his shot) is, in my opinion, not very good because he has little control over it. 

Wut? I'm not sure there is any meaningful offensive metric in which Dumba didn't improve upon  this season, with a heavier workload. I'm not sure you can judge his defensive game as less, considering his increased workload, against tougher competition, in higher leverage situations. 

Even at a most basic level he scored 8 more points this season in 5 less games compared to last. How is that stagnating? He's 22.  I really don't think his shot is his greatest asset, his skating is. 

#17 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,949 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 25 April 2017 - 01:54 PM

Poms needs to go either a trade, not sure what else you'd have to give up to get rid of him, if not buy him out he doesn't help the team and there are cheap young guys that can take his spot.

They will give up one of those d-men, they all have warts so rather lose Marco with his big cap hit.

I think there may be a few trades this summer, maybe try to get a big tough d-man. He can probably give up a young forward, plenty of young guys getting ready.

Couple of weeks ago the Hockey News had a top 10 prospect list, and 3 of the 10 were Wild prospects plus Kunin and Tuch could help.

http://www.thehockey...ising-prospects

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:19 PM

Brodin's cap hit is higher next year than Scandella's.  Just FYI.

#19 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,949 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:31 PM

Brodin is 4 years younger and 167K higher cap hit, I'd rather keep younger. $167K might buy a dozen sticks not much more. But if they lost Brodin and kept Marco I wouldn't be upset by it.

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#20 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 02:35 PM

I just meant people had talked about Scandella and his cap hit several times, so it seemed as if people weren't aware that Brodin had a similar contract.

I think Brodin is more easily replaced with someone like Olofsson.