Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cuban Luis Robert is a FA

cuban free agent big $$$$$
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 6,741 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:52 AM

19 year old Cuban OF Luis Robert was cleared by the MLB and is now an IFA... If he signs before July 2nd, he will not be subject to the new CBA rules, meaning he's going to get PAID... 

6'3" 205 lbs. and considered one of the very best prospects in the world, behind Shohei Otani. 

Here's a video that Baseball America posted showcasing Robert's swing. 

How much do you think he's going to get from the Yankees? I don't think the small market teams have a chance at this guy.... 

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Interesting read on deadspin - http://deadspin.com/...ly-a-1794510989

Basically, don't expect the Twins to sign him b/c the teams that are already penalized have no reason to not go for broke.  

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 6,741 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

Ha! We both saw it and posted on different forums... I'll go delete mine. 

EDIT: Nevermind, not able to do it without help from the mods. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 21 April 2017 - 09:55 AM.

• gunnarthor and Oldgoat_MN like this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Ya, I see a zero percent chance on this one.....

• Vanimal46 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 6,741 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:01 AM

He's not subject to the new CBA rules with IFA's, so yeah... Small market teams have no chance signing this guy. Welcome to the New York Yankees or LA Dodgers Luis! 

• gunnarthor likes this

#6 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:03 AM

He's not subject to the new CBA rules with IFA's, so yeah... Small market teams have no chance signing this guy. Welcome to the New York Yankees or LA Dodgers Luis! 

He will be if he waits 2 months....

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#7 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 2,793 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:06 AM

Obviously an impressive physical specimen, and the sound off his bat is like a firecracker. On the other hand, some of those hits would have been fielded... ;-)

No wonder they didn't have any kids in the infield. Somebody might get hurt.

It does give me one idea, tho: Why not send Byron Buxton to Cuba for a little "vacation?" See if he can find the guy that taught Luis Robert to swing like that, and to follow the ball all the way in. 

Edited by jimbo92107, 21 April 2017 - 10:08 AM.

Pro tip: Try pitching to a little less contact.

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,491 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

How much do you think he's going to get from the Yankees? I don't think the small market teams have a chance at this guy.... 

The Yankees still can't give him more the $300k before July 2nd, as a result of exceeding their bonus pool in the 2014-2015 period.  Same for the D-backs, Angels, Rays, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Royals.

After July 2nd, the Yankees can give him up to $4.75 mil.  But no team could give him more than $5.75 mil at that point, and 10 teams will still be capped at $300k for any single player: the aforementioned Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Royals, plus the A’s, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds:

http://www.baseballa...al-bonus-pools/

I'd guess that puts the A’s, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds as the favorites to land Robert before July 2nd, since they have already exceeded their 2016-2017 pools and would face no further penalties for spending big on Robert (other than the tax).  BA has apparently linked him to the White Sox previously -- but presumably they'd have to go over their pool to sign him.

Edited by spycake, 21 April 2017 - 11:00 AM.

• gunnarthor likes this

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,269 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

I'm guessing Whities or Astros at this point.

#10 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

I'm going with Cardinals. They have the most money and no high draft picks next year.

• Mike Sixel and brvama like this
Papers...business papers.

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,320 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:45 AM

Very little chance he goes to either of those two teams unless he doesn't like money.

Papers...business papers.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,491 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:09 PM

He's still subject to the old CBA rules with IFA's, though. Yankees and Dodgers both capped at $300k per player right now.

If he's determined to sign before July 2nd, that pretty much rules out the Yankees, Dodgers, D-backs, Angels, Rays, Red Sox, Cubs, Giants and Royals.

And makes it most likely the A’s, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres or Reds land him, as they have all already exceeded their bonus pool in the current signing period.

Although a club like the rumored White Sox could decide to go over their pool too.  They'd have to decide whether it's more important to take advantage of this last chance to go big to get a young IFA, or if they want to stay flexible after the new hard cap takes effect.  Come July 2nd, nobody is going to be able to spend big on young IFA, so the White Sox and others will stand a decent chance at landing top talents, as long at they're not limited to the $300k.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 6,741 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

He's still subject to the old CBA rules with IFA's, though. Yankees and Dodgers both capped at $300k per player right now.

If he's determined to sign before July 2nd, that pretty much rules out the Yankees, Dodgers, D-backs, Angels, Rays, Red Sox, Cubs, Giants and Royals.

And makes it most likely the A’s, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres or Reds land him, as they have all already exceeded their bonus pool in the current signing period.

Although a club like the rumored White Sox could decide to go over their pool too.  They'd have to decide whether it's more important to take advantage of this last chance to go big to get a young IFA, or if they want to stay flexible after the new hard cap takes effect.  Come July 2nd, nobody is going to be able to spend big on young IFA, so the White Sox and others will stand a decent chance at landing top talents, as long at they're not limited to the $300k.

That's good info to know. Didn't realize there were so many teams out of the running for giving him a ton of money. 

#14 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,498 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:23 PM

Twins aren't a small market team they just have an owner with small pockets he can't get his hand into.

• Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and COtwin like this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#15 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 2,759 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:26 PM

#16 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:13 AM

When have IFA signings ever been logical? If any team is strong in their beliefs that Luis Robert will be very good they will risk a year of ifa

#17 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 12:20 AM

The Yankees still can't give him more the $300k before July 2nd, as a result of exceeding their bonus pool in the 2014-2015 period.  Same for the D-backs, Angels, Rays, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Royals.

After July 2nd, the Yankees can give him up to $4.75 mil.  But no team could give him more than $5.75 mil at that point, and 10 teams will still be capped at $300k for any single player: the aforementioned Cubs, Dodgers, Giants and Royals, plus the A’s, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds:

http://www.baseballa...al-bonus-pools/

I'd guess that puts the A’s, Astros, Braves, Cardinals, Nationals, Padres and Reds as the favorites to land Robert before July 2nd, since they have already exceeded their 2016-2017 pools and would face no further penalties for spending big on Robert (other than the tax).  BA has apparently linked him to the White Sox previously -- but presumably they'd have to go over their pool to sign him.

Slightly unrelated but 10 teams are capped at 300k for next year's Int'l FA and the Twins have largest bonus pool. Obviously the Twins are staying away from this Cuban now but shouldn't they be in a good position to sign several of the top prospects after July 2nd?

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#18 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,124 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Slightly unrelated but 10 teams are capped at 300k for next year's Int'l FA and the Twins have largest bonus pool. Obviously the Twins are staying away from this Cuban now but shouldn't they be in a good position to sign several of the top prospects after July 2nd?

I guess? I'm honestly not as up on the changes in the new agreement but I think that's more or less right.

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 20,269 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:45 AM

yes, but the pool is lower, so they probably can't do as well as they could have before, IIRC.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 09:54 AM

yes, but the pool is lower, so they probably can't do as well as they could have before, IIRC.

Except that before there were always 5+ teams each signing period that were going to blow through the soft cap by 5-10M. Now 10 teams are eliminated and those 5 teams have to pay by the rules also.

An example of this is that the Twins have had a top 5ish bonus pool for the entire CBA and they barely scored a top 10 signing during that period.

But I just looked at the new bonus pool setup and record is no longer a factor in determining pool size. Basically everybody gets the same amount compared with the soft cap system before (or the MLB draft). I am fine with that setup but it would have been great to be the Twins under the pool system and the new hard cap.

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cuban, free agent, big $$$$$