Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Sano is struggling with the curve

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

I haven't heard much talk of this year, but I have lost track of how many times in the last week and a half or so that Sano has struck out on the exact same pitch. Put a curve ball just off the plate away just below  the knees and Sano will go for it every single time. 

Sano is a big part of our team this year and pitchers have figured him out. He needs a steady diet of curveballs in BP until he can recognize that pitch, I'm a bit worried about how long that is going to go on

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,569 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:23 PM

I think it's suspect to say pitchers have figured out Miguel. Over the past seven days (five games), he's just been kinda bad (.642 OPS). The seven days prior, he was very very good.

Yeah, he seems to struggle with the curve but he also struggles with the slider. So do lots of players.

We'll need more than a few games of data to draw a conclusion.

http://www.fangraphs.../DH#pitchvalues

I think people tend to forget that Miguel only has 900 career plate appearances. Yeah, he's gonna get tricked by MLB pitching from time to time as pitchers give him a different look because they're bloody terrified of the man.

• Jerr, Mike Frasier Law, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

Sano will put up top 20-25 WAR this year. Not worried. 

He's 19th in fWAR right now, if this if "figured out", I'm not worried.

• Mike Frasier Law, beckmt, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#4 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

"Straight ball hit very much, curve ball bats are afraid."  

• Jerr, DJSim22, 70charger and 4 others like this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#5 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:28 PM

Its pretty clear he's up there hunting fastballs and he will whiff at offspeed stuff- if its executed just right. I haven't seen many swings and misses at offspeed stuff more than an inch or two off the plate (or fastballs for that matter). His eye is very good and overall I can't find much fault with his approach.

Edited by Willihammer, 20 April 2017 - 02:28 PM.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#6 djvang

djvang

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

Scouting reports get around quickly. How many times did Torii strike out on that low outside breaking pitch he couldn't reach with a canoe paddle?

#7 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 02:51 PM

Scouting reports get around quickly. How many times did Torii strike out on that low outside breaking pitch he couldn't reach with a canoe paddle?

Agreed. His clearly have gotten around right now. Just hoping he makes some adjustments quickly. 

#8 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:26 PM

Fun fact: Sano's walked 14 times in 15 games so far. He's always going to strike out a lot, but if he can keep taking this many walks, I won't be worried about him.

• Jerr, Mike Sixel, Mike Frasier Law and 4 others like this

#9 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:04 PM

Fun fact: Sano's walked 14 times in 15 games so far. He's always going to strike out a lot, but if he can keep taking this many walks, I won't be worried about him.

How many strikeouts looking? Walks can be expensive.

It seems that our bats, including Sano, are missing the mistakes right down the middle. Our pitchers seem to not be so lucky with the opposition bats. I guess it is only a mistake if the batter hits it?

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:11 PM

How many strikeouts looking? Walks can be expensive.

It seems that our bats, including Sano, are missing the mistakes right down the middle. Our pitchers seem to not be so lucky with the opposition bats. I guess it is only a mistake if the batter hits it?

Sano is 19th in fWAR right now, what is it people are expecting?

• Sconnie likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,569 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:20 PM

A combination of Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Barry Bonds, and Mike Trout, apparently.

All Sano needs to do is play an up-the-middle position better than anyone in history, hit 74 homers in a season, keep the batting average at .407 or above, never miss a pitch he swings at, and throw a complete game shutout every fifth day.

At that point, at least 98% of Twins fans will be on board with the guy.

• diehardtwinsfan, Danchat, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#12 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 04:57 PM

Where did he rank in that last week out of curiosity? Missing on the same pitch repeatedly for the last 6-7 games is nothing to be ignored.
  • h2oface likes this

#13 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:05 PM

He's going to be seeing plenty of walks unless he grows inpatient at the plate.

Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong.

#14 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,630 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:21 AM

One can be onboard and still notice things that are happening. It doesn't have to be twisted into a condemnation.
  • Dr. Evil and caninatl04 like this

#15 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:20 PM

Where did he rank in that last week out of curiosity? Missing on the same pitch repeatedly for the last 6-7 games is nothing to be ignored.

i should hope Rowson and Sano noticed and are working on it.

I don't know exactly what the threshold is for SSS alerts, but 7 games is definitely a SSS alert.

#16 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

This is apparently still a huge problem with Sano's game. He was up in the 9th with the bases loaded last night and flailed at two straight garbage pitches low and outside. Obviously we needed those insurance runs.

He could be such an elite hitter if he'd figure this out

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,360 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

One can be onboard and still notice things that are happening. It doesn't have to be twisted into a condemnation.

Mod note: There's been hyperbole on both sides in this thread so far. "Every single time," "pitchers have figured him out," led things off, and later "still a huge problem". Leads to "hitting .407" and so forth, intended as a remedy but can escalate. Fortunately most of the posts have been more in the middle ground and backed up with evidence, and even the hyperbolic ones have been constructive. Let's just stick to the topic and try to avoid hinting that certain opinions aren't permissible.

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#18 djvang

djvang

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

This is apparently still a huge problem with Sano's game. He was up in the 9th with the bases loaded last night and flailed at two straight garbage pitches low and outside. Obviously we needed those insurance runs.

Torii Hunter was never able to lay off the low outside slider. Until Sano learns to lay off the garbage he's going to keep getting garbage. 

#19 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

Could be an elite hitter?

Wut?

#20 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 13 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

The thing I've noticed is that the walks are down and his BA is now .270. He's got 25 homers and over 70 RBI. IMHO, that is very good, but not elite.

There's room for the big man to grow--as a hitter.

• USAFChief, adorduan and Dr. Evil like this