Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Hartman: Buxton takes slow start in stride

twins buxton slow starts
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:39 AM

http://www.startribu...ride/419912153/

You know, I never looked into this or even thought about it.  Buxton has had slow starts throughout his career.

Wondering, if playing Winter Ball would get him warmed up enough to start a new MLB season on a higher note.  Seems like an easy answer.  Spring Training isn't enough of an answer.

• glunn likes this

It's not my fault !

#2 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

What I remember is that he has had slow starts at each new level. But I don't think he kept getting sent up and down a level like he has been here. I refuse to believe he can't play (hit) better than this, and that he won't end up as an exceptional player. He is at around 500 PA and it's often 1500 before the lights stay on. And it doesn't help, that after ending strong last year way down in the order, one of Sid's favorite "geniuses" stuck him in the three hole!
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 14,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:12 AM

Forget Buxton. I need a refresher on how a 97-year old man publishes anything at all. My dad's 94, and not really capable of gainful employment anymore.

• Thrylos, ScrapTheNickname, Dantes929 and 5 others like this

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#4 Jham

Jham

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:23 AM

Just saw a snippet of an interview with Bux who's talking shortening his swing and "letting the ball come to him".  This sounds very Molitor-esque to me, and that's scary, mostly because it's so different from what made him successful last year.  How is shortening up going to help if he's way out front on off-speed?  I get trying to watch the ball for as long as possible, but Buxton has a major timing issue right now.  I'd work on getting hands and body into hitting position earlier and re-implementing the leg kick as a timing mechanism.  A lot has been said about Buxton pulling his head.  This can happen because of bad timing as well, 

#5 theBOMisthebomb

theBOMisthebomb

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:28 AM

Reading Sid is so fun. Love how he's still smooching up to AP.

#6 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

If Molitor brings anything to the table it should be advice on hitting. The more he talks to batters about hitting the more he stays away from the pitchers, so I think this is a good thing.

I don't know exactly what 'shorten my swing' means, but Buck should absolutely be focused on making contact rather than trying to hit every ball hard. As contact becomes more consistent he can increase his bat speed.

This is not an unusual approach for a hitter who is not making contact.

• Dantes929 and Doomtints like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:27 AM

Forget Buxton. I need a refresher on how a 97-year old man publishes anything at all. My dad's 94, and not really capable of gainful employment anymore.

If only you knew what they did behind the scenes to publish a Sid article.... 

monkey-typing-simpsons_jpg.jpg

• ashburyjohn, Thrylos, Twins33 and 6 others like this

#8 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

I get the hype at the time but just a month ago posters were saying Buxton should stop bunting because of his power.  While I have watched he is batting .500 while bunting (1 for 2).  Getting more hits would do wonders for his confidence and get him to relax.   

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#9 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

If Molitor brings anything to the table it should be advice on hitting. The more he talks to batters about hitting the more he stays away from the pitchers, so I think this is a good thing.

I don't know exactly what 'shorten my swing' means, but Buck should absolutely be focused on making contact rather than trying to hit every ball hard. As contact becomes more consistent he can increase his bat speed.

This is not an unusual approach for a hitter who is not making contact.

Exactly. Buxton is doing a terrible job of trying to make contact right now. He is up there swinging as hard as he can on most pitches. It's crazy. He's skinny. Yes, he has enough power to get it over the fence, but nothing about his body type says that that should be his primary focus, but mentally it is. He is incredibly fast. He needs to sit in a room and watch Ichiro's career for a while.  

There are times that, once (if) he becomes a proficient hitter at recognizing MLB quality pitching, he should be trying to lace the ball as hard as he can. But right now his ONLY asset on offense is his speed. So he needs to do whatever it takes to utilize it. Take as many pitches as humanly possible to draw walks and steal bases. Bunt. Slap the ball through the hole the other way when a runner is on first. Small Ball. He looks like he thinks he can be Barry Bonds but he's not. 

• Oldgoat_MN and Doomtints like this

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,915 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

Exactly. Buxton is doing a terrible job of trying to make contact right now. He is up there swinging as hard as he can on most pitches. It's crazy. He's skinny. Yes, he has enough power to get it over the fence, but nothing about his body type says that that should be his primary focus, but mentally it is. He is incredibly fast. He needs to sit in a room and watch Ichiro's career for a while.  

There are times that, once (if) he becomes a proficient hitter at recognizing MLB quality pitching, he should be trying to lace the ball as hard as he can. But right now his ONLY asset on offense is his speed. So he needs to do whatever it takes to utilize it. Take as many pitches as humanly possible to draw walks and steal bases. Bunt. Slap the ball through the hole the other way when a runner is on first. Small Ball. He looks like he thinks he can be Barry Bonds but he's not. 

I think there's a giant middle area between these two points where Buxton can reside comfortably.

I don't want Byron to become Ichiro. He's bigger and stronger than that. I also don't want to see Byron swing out of his shoes constantly.

He can shorten his swing and take a more consistent approach at the plate without becoming a slap hitter.

• Sconnie and HitInAPinch like this

#11 The_Phantom

The_Phantom

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:33 AM

I think there's a giant middle area between these two points where Buxton can reside comfortably.

I don't want Byron to become Ichiro. He's bigger and stronger than that. I also don't want to see Byron swing out of his shoes constantly.

He can shorten his swing and take a more consistent approach at the plate without becoming a slap hitter.

Oh I agree. In the long run.

But right now the swinging out of his shoes approach is just leading to strikeout after strikeout after strikeout after strikeout. So *for now* he needs to be a little more like Ichiro. And once he can actually register MLB pitching and get a firm grip on what he is going to be seeing, then in the right situations try to knock one out of the park.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:08 PM

Sid gets by with a little help from his (close personal) friends.
  • ashburyjohn likes this

#13 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 12:17 PM

I'm 35 and amazed I'm employed.

• ashburyjohn, 70charger, HitInAPinch and 4 others like this

#14 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

I've posted this elsewhere but Buxton has to re-tool his swing at least for the next few years. He is long and loopy through the zone and the leg kick just makes him vulnerable to different speeds. When Kirby first came up he focused on making contact. Eventually he added the leg kick for power. Buck should do the same.

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

He is my starting center fielder all year. He needs to learn how to hit major league pitching and that won't happen at AAA. For the same reason, Berrios needs to be up learning how to get major league hitters out.

Their upside is worth the full season of struggle.
  • PseudoSABR and Platoon like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, buxton, slow starts