Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Wolves Draft Thoughts Thread

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

ESPN put up an article for team's best and worst lottery picks in team history. Both Kevin Pelton and Chad Ford have KG as the best pick of course, but the worst pick from Pelton makes no sense. Ford took the obvious choice of Jonny Flynn over Steph Curry, but Pelton went with Wally Szczerbiac for some reason. I think Wes Johnson and Derrick Williams are easily worse picks.

Anyway, just a fun article to have discussion about.

http://www.espn.com/...t-lottery-picks

#22 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 16 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

Flynn wins hands down since it was almost immediately clear that he wasn't an NBA player. The Szczerbiak pick is quite a reach. 

Johnson and Williams fit in with the Longley and Spencer picks where there wasn't a great pick to be made although the players after Johnson have become BIG stars.

• bluechipper likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#23 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 09:49 PM

The lottery couldn't have gone a whole lot worse for the Wolves. They moved back 1 spot to 7th, and the Lakers managed to keep their pick.

#24 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 16 May 2017 - 11:07 PM

I really would have enjoyed the Lakers losing both of their picks (this year and next) but oh well.

This increases the odds of the Wolves picking from the leftovers of Isaac, Tatum and Markennan. At least one of them should be there.

What if the Wolves took a PG though? Like 3 and D Ntilikina? This move doesn't fill a hole but Dunn and/or Jones could be moved and could fill the PG position long term with Rubio only under contract for 2 years. The Wolves would clearly need to pick up 1-2 players in FA to fill the wing and big holes in the bench though.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#25 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 486 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:25 AM

Draft Xpress has us taking Isaac at 7.

Ford has us taking Isaac at 7.

Draft.net has us taking Dennis Smith.

Markkanen is on the board in all of the mocks still. I'm not that worried, albeit I wouldn't have minded Orlando moving up. Seems like they might be the team that grabs Isaac in front of us.

#26 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:23 AM

Draft Xpress has us taking Isaac at 7.

Ford has us taking Isaac at 7.

Draft.net has us taking Dennis Smith.

Markkanen is on the board in all of the mocks still. I'm not that worried, albeit I wouldn't have minded Orlando moving up. Seems like they might be the team that grabs Isaac in front of us.

One thing that might help is the 76ers getting the 3rd pick. They could use a traditional PG, and I wonder if they might take Fox over Jackson, pushing the SF's down a spot. I'm not sure if that will matter, as Fox is guaranteed to be picked ahead of the Wolves, but it probably wouldn't hurt.