Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Wolves Draft Thoughts Thread

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

The Wolves win the tie-breaker to have the sixth best lotto odds.

http://www.espn.com/...a-draft-lottery

#2 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:40 PM

The lowest they can go is...6th? Or can they drop further than that if the balls are feeling scornful? Never really followed the draft before.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#3 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:51 PM

At the 6 spot does anybody enter into the equation besides Tatum, Isaac and Markkanen? I just can't see an option of drafting a PG or small guard with the roster makeup unless that player was WAY BETTER than any other option.

I think this is a great draft to trade down or to trade for a underappreciated veteran.

The Wolves can draft lower than 6th if one of the teams below them gets lucky and moves into the top 3. 

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#4 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Zach Collins is your "I want a better shooter than Isaac but a better defender than Markkanem" sleeper at 6 or 7. Granted, he might end up a center.

#5 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:47 PM

At the 6 spot does anybody enter into the equation besides Tatum, Isaac and Markkanen? I just can't see an option of drafting a PG or small guard with the roster makeup unless that player was WAY BETTER than any other option.

I think this is a great draft to trade down or to trade for a underappreciated veteran.

The Wolves can draft lower than 6th if one of the teams below them gets lucky and moves into the top 3. 

Too bad the Wolves didn't take Jamal Murray last year. I'd really like to take De'Aaron Fox or maybe Dennis Smith this year in that scenario.

#6 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 09:55 AM

Markkanem I think can grow quite a bit on defense--as he gains bulk and is further removed from Europe's game.  He did show some blocking skills late in the season and in the Pac-12 tournament.  Though Isaac's potential is also very attractive, though not sure what position he would play. 

• kab21 likes this

#7 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:25 AM

Markkanem I think can grow quite a bit on defense--as he gains bulk and is further removed from Europe's game.  He did show some blocking skills late in the season and in the Pac-12 tournament.  Though Isaac's potential is also very attractive, though not sure what position he would play. 

Right now I think I like Markkanen the best. Pair him and Bjelica as your backup bigs and hopefully you get something decent out of them as early as next year. And then the Wolves can concentrate on finding a suitable wing in FA.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#8 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:45 PM

Canis' draft series just hit on Markkanen and Isaac. Good read.

http://www.canishoop...isaac-ntilikina

#9 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

It is interesting that Canis Hoopus regards Markkanen as a long term project that doesn't fit due to that but Isaac isn't. The more I read about Isaac the more I like him long term but I see him as a pretty substantial project with a minimal immediate impact.

#10 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:50 AM

Canis is always going to side with guys who can pass and block shots. And that's what Isaac does better than Markkanen. That's just what the modern pick-and-roll game puts an emphasis on.

But I think Markkanen's shot is probably the safest bet in the draft. So it comes down do you take the chance in the better shooter or the better defender?

#11 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

It is interesting that Canis Hoopus regards Markkanen as a long term project that doesn't fit due to that but Isaac isn't. The more I read about Isaac the more I like him long term but I see him as a pretty substantial project with a minimal immediate impact.

I think Isaac is easily the more long term project of the two. He's rail thin, and we saw how that worked out for Brandon Ingram this year.

I'm still interested in Isaac, but for now I'd lean towards Markkanen.

#12 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:34 PM

I think Isaac is easily the more long term project of the two. He's rail thin, and we saw how that worked out for Brandon Ingram this year.

I'm still interested in Isaac, but for now I'd lean towards Markkanen.

Ingram is exactly what I was thinking. But I would gladly take a 15+ min/game Brandon Ingram project with this core.

• bluechipper likes this

#13 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

I don't think either Markkanen or Isaac are going to make you want to trade Dieng next year. At least not if you really want to make a run at the playoffs.

So the question is which one is better long term?

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 04 May 2017 - 10:59 PM

I don't think either Markkanen or Isaac are going to make you want to trade Dieng next year. At least not if you really want to make a run at the playoffs.

So the question is which one is better long term?

Certainly not. I expect both to be competing for 15 min/game bench roles next year.

My point was that Canis Hoopus knocks Markkanen out of consideration because he is a long term project but drools of Isaac.

the question regarding isaac is whether or not he would be a wing or a small 4 for the first couple of seasons. I just can't see him playing against 4's right now.

• bluechipper likes this

#15 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:02 AM

Certainly not. I expect both to be competing for 15 min/game bench roles next year.

My point was that Canis Hoopus knocks Markkanen out of consideration because he is a long term project but drools of Isaac.

the question regarding isaac is whether or not he would be a wing or a small 4 for the first couple of seasons. I just can't see him playing against 4's right now.

IMHO, part of the reason Isaac can play four right now is that's just the way the game is heading. The Ringer had a great article about how Isaac's long term position may be the five today.

https://theringer.co...ac-e345e30acdd6

Markkanen, I think the one thing that really makes me question his him long-term is his Assist% at Arizona makes Shabazz Muhammed at UCLA look like Magic Johnson. The game is heading toward shooting, passing and shot blocking. Markakken definitely wins point one. But does he win it as clearly as Isaac wins two and three? 

#16 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:35 PM

I drool over the long term potential of Isaac but he also looks like the classic lottery bust that never develops. I now have him above Markennan.

What on earth would you do if you had a top pick and a need at point guard? Do you still take Ball at #2? #3? #4? 

I absolutely can't stand the circus surrounding him. He is like a more talented Manziel. Completely different circus but I absolutely despise him.

#17 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

I feel bad for Ball because his dad is doing the classic "Marinovich." He actually seems like a decent kid whose biggest fault is he doesn't know how to stop his dad. And it's going to be funny when he walks away from his family and signs with Nike next year. 

I think my Timberwolves draft board goes:

1. Jackson

2. Ball

3. Fultz

4. Tatum

5. Isaac

6. Markkanen

7. Fox

8. Smith

9. Collins

But I'm still internally debating Tatum v. Isaac v. Markkanen and Fox v. Smith v. Collins.

• kab21 and bluechipper like this

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,978 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 10:33 AM

Edited the title as it shows up on the home page and may cause confusion with the baseball draft threads.

#19 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:02 PM

I feel bad for Ball because his dad is doing the classic "Marinovich." He actually seems like a decent kid whose biggest fault is he doesn't know how to stop his dad. And it's going to be funny when he walks away from his family and signs with Nike next year. 

I think my Timberwolves draft board goes:

1. Jackson

2. Ball

3. Fultz

4. Tatum

5. Isaac

6. Markkanen

7. Fox

8. Smith

9. Collins

But I'm still internally debating Tatum v. Isaac v. Markkanen and Fox v. Smith v. Collins.

I couldn't pass up on Fultz at #1. I'm with you on the Tatum v. Isaac debate too. I'd probably lean Tatum, but it's close.

If the Wolves hadn't drafted Kris Dunn last year, I'd probably have Fox up above both Tatum and Isaac too.

#20 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

I drool over the long term potential of Isaac but he also looks like the classic lottery bust that never develops. I now have him above Markennan.

What on earth would you do if you had a top pick and a need at point guard? Do you still take Ball at #2? #3? #4? 

I absolutely can't stand the circus surrounding him. He is like a more talented Manziel. Completely different circus but I absolutely despise him.

At least with Ball, he seems like a decent guy, in comparison to Manziel, who was his own worst enemy. I'd take Ball 3rd behind Fultz and Jackson.