Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Next Roster Move: Pitcher for Batter, but Whom?

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#161 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:24 PM

Why would service time even be a consideration for Garver?
He's already under team control through his age 33 season at a minimum.

pre-arbitration has value, and the preference would be to get the initial return and the cut bait before the arbitration salaries out weigh the utility

#162 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:53 PM

Park has appeared in 4 games and 16 at bats. He's not coming up yet
Garver has 22 at bats in 8 games. He's not coming up either.

Schuck 234/308/404 712 OPS (47 at bats)
Vargas 227/346/432 778 OPS (44 at bats)
Murphy 136/240/182 422 OPS (22 at bats)
Hague 345/419/436 856 OPS (55 at bats)
Palka 296/345/611 956 OPS (54 at bats)

Numbers...
  • Sconnie likes this

#163 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,486 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

pre-arbitration has value, and the preference would be to get the initial return and the cut bait before the arbitration salaries out weigh the utility

Well, now through 30 are going to be his physically peak years, so they are already set in that regard.
There is no point in playing service time games with Garver at this point.

#164 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,915 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

I don't see Murphy getting the call unless he turns around his season. The guy has been putrid with the bat for going on two seasons.
  • kab21 likes this

#165 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:46 AM

Numbers...

It is going to be a long time before slash stat numbers have any value in supporting whether or not a player should be called up. Even in a large sample, slash stats don't indicate well whether a player is ready to hit major league pitching. Use them in a large sample (think full season).

If the Twins management is influenced at all by minor league slash stats at this point, this franchise is hopeless. The eyes of a trained staff seeing a player everyday should have significant influence.

Hopefully they have not looked at the slash stats at all. Anyone who does is sure to find wildly varied BABIPs.

#166 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:36 AM

Numbers...
It is going to be a long time before slash stat numbers have any value in supporting whether or not a player should be called up. Even in a large sample, slash stats don't indicate well whether a player is ready to hit major league pitching. Use them in a large sample (think full season).
If the Twins management is influenced at all by minor league slash stats at this point, this franchise is hopeless. The eyes of a trained staff seeing a player everyday should have significant influence.
Hopefully they have not looked at the slash stats at all. Anyone who does is sure to find wildly varied BABIPs.

Instead of negatively criticizing someone's post for what it lacks, how about adding to it to improve the discussion? That is what I was hoping for. More numbers discussion instead of basing things off what we were hoping people would develop into. I wasn't trying to and did not say who should be recalled, but
3 of the 7 previously mentioned guys have been in less than half the at bats. That was the biggest number I saw yet they are being discussed for recall. I do not believe management will be looking at guys they are playing less than half the time this early in the season.
As for triple slash, they do show something but as you said not the whole picture. Triple slash is used all the time on TD and OPS is highly emphasized. If you feel there are better numbers that show a better picture, feel free to add them. Please do actually. That is what I hoped someone would do.
  • Mike Sixel likes this