Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Next Roster Move: Pitcher for Batter, but Whom?

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#1 caninatl04

caninatl04

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:34 PM

It was my impression that a 13 pitcher roster would be temporary and was a preemptive move to cover a weak starting rotation.

Sooner or later, a move will have to be made to reduce the staff to 12.Two questions: who goes down and who comes up?

Note:I am limiting this discussion to a pitcher-to-hitter substitution.I will leave discussions of Berrios for Meija / Gibson or, say, Reginatto for (D.) Santana for other posts.

Sent down?Taylor Rogers has the highest WHIP among relievers.Tonkin has only 2 appearances.Breslow has only pitched 1.2 innings.

I list the last two of these not because of their quality, but because, it seems that so far, they have been the least needed.

Brought up?

Catcher (I know many are clamoring for Mitch-- I will leave the debate of three catchers to those posts)

Any 1 of three 1B(Park, Paulsen, Vargas)?This will allow Mauer to rest for, oh, the next 300 games or so (until his contract expires-- although he is playing 1B at a Gold Glove level))

Palka?He could play RF.

My guess would be Tonkin down and Park up.

Your thoughts?

• darin617 and nicksaviking like this

#2 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 17,013 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

I just hope it's soon.  I have a bet with someone about the number of days with a 13 man staff, and I'm getting worried. :go:

• ashburyjohn, Jerr, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#3 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:48 PM

Adrianza will be healthy very soon, so they'll have to make a decision on him. Not sure if they want him on the bench or at AAA. I imagine if it's a batter they want to call up from AAA, it'll be someone on the 40 man roster, aka Vargas.

I don't see what Tonkin or Breslow is accomplishing on the roster. I'd move on from Tonkin first and Breslow a bit later if he doesn't prove himself.

• milldaddy35, Vanimal46, wsnydes and 1 other like this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

Adrianza will be healthy very soon, so they'll have to make a decision on him. Not sure if they want him on the bench or at AAA. I imagine if it's a batter they want to call up from AAA, it'll be someone on the 40 man roster, aka Vargas.

I don't see what Tonkin or Breslow is accomplishing on the roster. I'd move on from Tonkin first and Breslow a bit later if he doesn't prove himself.

Arianza is, IIRC, out of options. If they try to send him down, he might get claimed.

I'm guessing Breslow or Tonkin is gone, based on usage, with Palka called up. While it would be great if they had a RH OF in AAA that was ready, they don't. Palka could DH while Grossman plays the OF, when an OF needs a day off. He could also play the OF if needed.

If Park was healthy and playing well, I'd guess he comes up.

I'm not surprised no move has been made, unless there is an injury or utter horribleness, I don't think teams make many moves in April.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

I think it was Aaron Gleeman who said Tonkin is probably a pretty reasonable, major-league level 6th or 7th inning guy. Nothing special, but nothing bad. However, Molitor refuses to use him that way, clearly doesn't trust him with any leverage, and sticks him in spots where he just won't be very successful. So why delay the inevitable? If the manager won't use him right, anyway, what's the downside of losing him?

I think there's something to that take. 

• Mike Sixel, Loosey, Oldgoat_MN and 2 others like this

#6 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

Levine talked about this on the pregame yesterday.  I think holding 13 until the next off day gets a little closer is what he indicated.  It's still 8 days away.  It won't be Rogers or Breslow.  They won't go to only one lefty.  Belisle has a guaranteed contract, indeed, the only guaranteed contract he and Falvey gave to a FA pitcher.  That tells me they aren't going to cut bait yet.  Duffey is flourishing in his role to the point that he is likely to get chances in higher leverage situations soon.  That leaves Tonkin, Pressly and Haley.  At some point, I could see all 3 being replaced this year.  JT Chargois and Jake Reed will hopefully be healthy and able to pitch at the MLB level this season.  Trevor Hildenberger is another guy I think could help with his quirky delivery.  Assuming no one gets hurt between now and next week, I'm going to say that Tonkin is probably the odd man out.  As the second long man, he's the redundant piece.  Of course, that will add presure to Haley.  Might be another reason the Twins hang onto Gibson in AAA.

As for the hitter, Vargas is the most likely candidate, especially with Park on the DL.  It sounds like he's  two weeks away and the change to 12 pitchers should be before that.

• Jerr, Oldgoat_MN and Vanimal46 like this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,915 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

It has to be Vargas. Grossman is good, Mauer is bad, and the Twins need some help in both the outfield and at first base.

Vargas checks all those boxes or allows others to check those boxes if he rotates into the lineup.

I don't like the idea of losing Adrianza but both Escobar and Polanco look good this season. I'm surprisingly unconcerned about the left side of the infield right now.

• jimbo92107, Oldgoat_MN, Danchat and 2 others like this

#8 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 10,770 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:36 PM

FWIW, Pressly could be optioned too. Like Gibson, I don't know if it is particularly likely or even advisable, but it is technically possible.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,178 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

My guess would be Tonkin down and Park up.

Your thoughts?

Tonkin is out of options and likely will be out not down.And unless Park's hammy is good enough to get him off the AAA DL, he is notgoing anywhere.

I don't mind losing Tonkin. If I had my pick of the litter for position players, it would be Niko Goodrum who will provide enough versatility (he can play every position but C), but the real issue here is not a lack of position players, but Danny Santana's .343 OPS and Byron Buxton's .292 OPS primarily, and Joe Mauer's .473 OPS and Eddie Rosario's .448 OPS secondarily. If these 4 guys were hitting at league average levels, there would be no issue.

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 04:03 PM

Tonkin is out of options and likely will be out not down.And unless Park's hammy is good enough to get him off the AAA DL, he is notgoing anywhere.

I don't mind losing Tonkin. If I had my pick of the litter for position players, it would be Niko Goodrum who will provide enough versatility (he can play every position but C), but the real issue here is not a lack of position players, but Danny Santana's .343 OPS and Byron Buxton's .292 OPS primarily, and Joe Mauer's .473 OPS and Eddie Rosario's .448 OPS secondarily. If these 4 guys were hitting at league average levels, there would be no issue.

Of course, DanSan has shown no ability to do that for the last two years.... nor has Buxton...mostly Rosario has not either. Mauer is in decline, but this is ridiculous and he'll get better.

• Oldgoat_MN and wsnydes like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#11 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

To answer the question posed, I think its either Tonkin or Pressley down and Park up with the timing dependent on when Park ad Adrianza are ready. Adianza stays at the MLB level since he will be claimed if DFA'd. He replaces DanSan. I think that's why we're seeing Grossman in the OF now, to see if he can be the 4th OF. They want Adrianza because they need him to play either SS or UTL if they trade Dozier at the deadline. Vargas? .250 in AAA?  Hard to see why. 

SOoo, one of two-

If Adrianza is ready first, he comes up and DanSan goes DFA. 

When Park is ready, he comes up and either Tonkin goes DFA or Pressley goes down depending on who's pitching better. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#12 Brandon Warne

Brandon Warne

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

Anybody who claims to know is lying to you. It'll probably come down to an injury or something. 

• Oldgoat_MN, kab21, Platoon and 2 others like this

Find my work at:

@MidwestSwingPod

@ColdOmahaMN

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,915 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:09 PM

To answer the question posed, I think its either Tonkin or Pressley down and Park up with the timing dependent on when Park ad Adrianza are ready. Adianza stays at the MLB level since he will be claimed if DFA'd. He replaces DanSan. I think that's why we're seeing Grossman in the OF now, to see if he can be the 4th OF. They want Adrianza because they need him to play either SS or UTL if they trade Dozier at the deadline. Vargas? .250 in AAA?  Hard to see why. 

SOoo, one of two-

If Adrianza is ready first, he comes up and DanSan goes DFA. 

When Park is ready, he comes up and either Tonkin goes DFA or Pressley goes down depending on who's pitching better. 

A perfect world sees the following:

Adrianza replace Santana

Vargas replace Tonkin

That's the optimal roster right now, IMO. I'd consider replacing Gibson with Berrios and probably sliding Kyle to the bullpen, but I'm not sure who I'd bump off the roster for him.

• peterb18, Physics Guy, Sconnie and 1 other like this

#14 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:18 PM

I agree except I'm higher on Park than I am on Vargas so I would bring up him for Tonkin. Maybe I'm still dazzled by Spring Training but I think Park could be a legitimate middle of the order power hitter and I just don"t see that with Vargas, plus Park is a better defender.

On Gibson, does anyone know if he has any options left? It would be great to switch out he and Berrios if he does.  

#15 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:23 PM

I think it was Aaron Gleeman who said Tonkin is probably a pretty reasonable, major-league level 6th or 7th inning guy. Nothing special, but nothing bad. However, Molitor refuses to use him that way, clearly doesn't trust him with any leverage, and sticks him in spots where he just won't be very successful. So why delay the inevitable? If the manager won't use him right, anyway, what's the downside of losing him?

I think there's something to that take. 

I agree with this, Molitor is never going to trust Tonkin to use him in any leverage situations. It is pretty clear he will be lucky to get mop up duty. I'm guessing he would get claimed if he were put on waivers because he throws hard. To me it is time to free up the 40 man roster of both Boshers, and Tonkin. Neither is going to help the Twins do anything this year. Boshers will never make it up and Tonkin, Molitor isn't going to use in any meaningful role.

• caninatl04 likes this

#16 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:27 PM

I would very much like to see Niko Goodrum replace Danny Santana on the roster. Give the manager some options off the bench in case he needs to sit a struggling player. Danny Santana's time with the Twins has run it's course. We are tired of him like we got tired of Punto.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#17 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

I agree with this, Molitor is never going to trust Tonkin to use him in any leverage situations. It is pretty clear he will be lucky to get mop up duty. I'm guessing he would get claimed if he were put on waivers because he throws hard. To me it is time to free up the 40 man roster of both Boshers, and Tonkin. Neither is going to help the Twins do anything this year. Boshers will never make it up and Tonkin, Molitor isn't going to use in any meaningful role.

In this Era Tonkin doesn't throw hard. Plus it's straight and he can't command his slider. I might cut Breslow first but Tonkin is nothing

#18 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:37 PM

It is my impression/understanding Adrianza is a glove first SS? This really does not help the bench. Vargas seems logical for a bat and 1B glove. Tonkin? I would believe he would love to get out of here. No, he ain't Andrew Mller from the other side, but he was abused by Molitor last year, and it's obvious Molitor is not a fan. The troubling part of all this, is that while DanSan should likely go, it's only going to increase the inning RG stands in the OF like one of those plaza statues, difference being the statues have better arms. I know there was a different lightly commented blog on Molitor, but all you need to know about his managerial chops? He thinks Robbie Grossman is a RF!
  • Mike Sixel, KirbyDome89 and bighat like this
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#19 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 5,213 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:54 PM

Roster Adrianza, send DanSan packing, bring up bat with a pulse, demote reliever of choice.

#20 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:04 PM

At this point Dan San is looked upon as an outfielder. He won't be replaced by Adrianza.
  • Platoon likes this