Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Buxton Replacement? Don't bother, he's already here....

twins buxton kepler
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:31 AM

That sounds like my golf swing. I mean how am I going to see my gorgeously high, arching iron shot if I keep my head down and watch the club hit the ball?  BTW, Harold Reynolds may actually be right. I watched Buxton swing after seeing his report and he is pulling his head off and out, particularly on breaking pitches. Hard to hit what you can't see. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#62 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 April 2017 - 03:20 AM

He's pretty much been an epic failure, alas. Twins fans have been heavily emotionally invested in his success for the past 3-4 years. Buxton didn't deliver last year. He was given a pass by everyone. Buxton's start to this year has been historically bad. He is the worst hitter in the entire major leagues right now. Not "near the bottom", not "below average" - the worst. Period. Buxton's not just performing below expectations, his performance has been gut-wrenchingly horrible. I think patience has worn thin and rightfully so.

Do any of us want this? No. But some of us are starting to accept the fact that Buxton might be a bust.

I believe Chase Utley on the Dodgers is worse at this time, if that is any concession.
  • bighat likes this

#63 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:08 AM

500 yo-yo'd, jerked around, called up prematurely, inconsistent ABs... Still not worried.

Buxton has had a lousy start to the season. However, the organization hasn't done him any favors in terms of building up his confidence. In 15 games he has:

-started batting third for 4 games
-was moved down to 7th
-was moved down to 8th
-was moved down to 9th
-was pinch-hit for in two games
-was benched for two games

My preference would be to have the manager / organization / whoever tell him: "You are our starting CF, and we are batting you in X spot in the lineup. We are going to leave you there all year. Don't worry that a bad game (or two or three or five) at the plate is going to cost you your spot in the batting order, or get you pinch-hit for or land you on the bench, or get you sent back to Rochester. It won't. We are committed to you, because you are going to be a big part of the team going forward. You have proven yourself in the minors as a hitter, and now we are committed to you proving yourself in the majors as a hitter. You might not prove yourself this month, or next month, or maybe even not this year, but we think you will, because the hitter you were in the minors is going to start showing up in the majors on a consistent basis. So, go out there and do it, and don't spend any time looking over your shoulder."

Edited by AlwaysinModeration, 22 April 2017 - 05:14 AM.

• bighat likes this

#64 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,299 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:58 AM

Buxton has had a lousy start to the season. However, the organization hasn't done him any favors in terms of building up his confidence. In 15 games he has:

-was moved down to 7th
-was moved down to 8th
-was moved down to 9th

My preference would be to have the manager / organization / whoever tell him: "You are our starting CF, and we are batting you in X spot in the lineup. We are going to leave you there all year. Don't worry that a bad game (or two or three or five) at the plate is going to cost you your spot in the batting order, or get you pinch-hit for or land you on the bench, or get you sent back to Rochester. It won't. We are committed to you, because you are going to be a big part of the team going forward. You have proven yourself in the minors as a hitter, and now we are committed to you proving yourself in the majors as a hitter. You might not prove yourself this month, or next month, or maybe even not this year, but we think you will, because the hitter you were in the minors is going to start showing up in the majors on a consistent basis. So, go out there and do it, and don't spend any time looking over your shoulder."

I think I'm on the complete opposite side of what you are expressing here.:)

• Mike Sixel and HitInAPinch like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#65 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,562 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 11:06 AM

-was moved down to 7th
-was moved down to 8th
-was moved down to 9th

The team still has to win baseball games. I'm just happy Buxton is playing in Minnesota right now.

If you want to reel at Byron's mismanagement by the last front office, take a gander at this post I wrote last year:

http://twinsdaily.co...again/?p=527479

• Mike Sixel likes this

#66 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:01 PM

I'd love to hear Jack Goin's opinion of moving a player around in a lineup to make him more comfortable, therefore he will perform better.  

I pulled this from Baseball Reference:

http://www.baseball-...ShareTool#lineu

Whatever position in the lineup that Buxton hits in seems completely irrelevant, except for hitting 7th.  The order goes: 7th, leadoff and 9th, when we start getting into Mendoza-line territory. Gotta take sample size into account, too.

Edited by HitInAPinch, 22 April 2017 - 12:05 PM.

• h2oface likes this

It's not my fault !

#67 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

I think I'm on the complete opposite side of what you are expressing here.:)

Personally, I see zero chance that sending Buxton to the minors will do any good.  We know what he can do there....

• Riverbrian likes this

It's not my fault !

#68 Heezy1323

Heezy1323

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 01:06 PM

I can see both sides of this argument (send him down vs. let him struggle through it no matter what). Certainly, everyone here realizes Buxton is extremely valuable in the field, and this offsets some of his shortcomings at the plate. But at some point, hitting around .100 with a K% approaching 50 has to get to you mentally, doesn't it? I want to see Buck succeed as much as anyone, but (honest question) does there come a point when, if things continue as they presently are going, you are almost forced to send him down, if nothing else for a change of scenery? June 1? All-Star break? 

He's coming to the plate as I type this. Lets rip a double and start the hot streak that breaks him out of this.

Edited by Heezy1323, 22 April 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#69 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:13 PM

Personally, I see zero chance that sending Buxton to the minors will do any good.  We know what he can do there....

Personally... I don't want Buxton in AAA anymore. I'm ready to ride this out. However... I don't believe moving him from 3rd to 9th in the order is messing with him and I also don't believe that being pinch hit for is hurting him and I don't believe that sitting on occasion will ruin him. 

The thing that is hurting him is striking out over 50 percent of the time. No manager is going to fix your confidence when you do that. 

• USAFChief, h2oface, drjim and 3 others like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#70 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:34 PM

And high school mound height directly correlates with maturity and mental toughness. You learn something new every day.

Please forgive my stream of consciousness delivery. I did not mean for mound height to be anything but an aside with some info. Seemed clear to me. Sorry it was confusing to you. Not my intention. I just make comments on my feelings. I don't mind the bullying for inferred stupidity that it might bring. I don't take it personally. I just make a few comments now and then.

#71 DrNeau

DrNeau

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 757 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:55 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Buxton.  But potential is just that, until it isn't. 

Lollygaggers!

• Riverbrian and HitInAPinch like this

#72 twinssporto

twinssporto

The yutes are gonna pull this off!

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:01 AM

As Harold Reynolds pointed out, Byron Buxton is not following the baseball all the way into the bat. This dead-simple fundamental habit should be part of Buxton's practice routine so that he doesn't have to think about it in games. Last season it was Buxton's puzzling lack of expertise while attempting to execute bunts, and his odd lack of skill stealing bases. He got a little better at both those things. This season it is watching the ball. 

It pains me to bring this up, but it is possible that this enthusiastic, earnest, hard-working young man is neither the sharpest bulb in the box nor the brightest tool in the shed. If so, his baseball career will not be like a rocket taking off, but more like the gradual whittling of a daft but talented hayseed sculptor, carefully carving a perfect cow over several years. 

I've met Pete Rose a few times.  Certainly not the sharpest bulb either.  I wonder if his career got off to a quick start or a slow one? 

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#73 twinssporto

twinssporto

The yutes are gonna pull this off!

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationTonka

Posted 23 April 2017 - 02:07 AM

One other thought about Buxton.  Obviously the FO and/or Molitor saw enough promise in him last fall and during spring training to start him off hitting this year in the #3 spot.  This most likely is just a very bad slump (mentally driven or not who cares).

Let's give the kid a few more weeks and see what happens.  I've mentioned this before but will say it again.  Everyone was screaming for Dozier to adjust and make changes last year.  He didn't come to life until June.  

Dear God, I hope it doesn't take Buxton that long. 

• HitInAPinch likes this

On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

#74 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 05:01 AM

One other thought about Buxton.  Obviously the FO and/or Molitor saw enough promise in him last fall and during spring training to start him off hitting this year in the #3 spot.  This most likely is just a very bad slump (mentally driven or not who cares).

Let's give the kid a few more weeks and see what happens.  I've mentioned this before but will say it again.  Everyone was screaming for Dozier to adjust and make changes last year.  He didn't come to life until June.  

Dear God, I hope it doesn't take Buxton that long. 

I'm starting to think Buxton might just be a slow starter.  You know, the old saying "as the temps warm up, so do the bats".  

• twinssporto likes this

It's not my fault !

#75 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 23 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

Jackie Bradley Jr. was a highly ranked prospect who reached the majors and crashed/burned hard. 

I think Byron Buxton should read this article. 

http://www.telegram....wing-to-improve

Here's another

https://www.bostongl...HpfN/story.html

And another

https://www.bostongl...h1eO/story.html

Byron needs to shorten up and level out. He always looks like he is trying to hit a 5 run homer. Byron's swing is too long and its an upper cut and that makes contact hard. 

Pitchers are going to work him low and away with off speed stuff for awhile so he better learn to take the ball the other way and do it short and level. 

As long as I see Buxton continue trying to pull that 2 strike 80 MPH low and outside pitch into the upper tank in LF... We won't feel comfortable with him.

• 70charger, HitInAPinch and bighat like this

Founded 4-23-16 

#76 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

Pretty ridiculous assessment. Max Kepler is no cf he's a rf, 1b type who at best would struggle in lf. Cf is a once a month play at best. What I want to see is Byron Buxton choke up on the bat! If Byron does that the swing path isn't as long and time consuming as it is now . Currently. His left hand bottom hand is ponkie finger and some palm over or on-line of the handle of the bat!!!! How ridiculous is that? Especially w 2 strikes on him. Come on James Rowson plz correct this!!¡
Ty. Good for. Buxton choke up!!!! Look at bryzzo. They choke up 1/2 the bat. Buxton doesn't need to hit it 400 ft ever. Ty.

Twins Prospects? 1 S. Gonsalves  2. N. Gordon  3. Tyler Jay

4. A. Kirilloff  5. Romero, Fernando  6. Mejia, Alberto  7. K. Stewart

8.J.T. Chargois  9. Wells, Lac. 10. D. Palka  11. Wade, LaM. 12. Nic Burdi

#77 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

* Byron's pinkie finger is covering handle of bat =. Not good.

Twins Prospects? 1 S. Gonsalves  2. N. Gordon  3. Tyler Jay

4. A. Kirilloff  5. Romero, Fernando  6. Mejia, Alberto  7. K. Stewart

8.J.T. Chargois  9. Wells, Lac. 10. D. Palka  11. Wade, LaM. 12. Nic Burdi

#78 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,826 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

I have no problem believing Kepler could play CF well.  He wouldn't be a defensive star out there, but he'd be good.  I don't want that to have to happen though.

Edited by jimmer, 03 May 2017 - 07:52 PM.

#79 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,562 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 07:59 PM

I have no problem believing Kepler could play CF well.  He wouldn't be a defensive star out there, but he'd be good.  I don't want that to have to happen though.

Yeah. When Max came up, I called him a tweener because he didn't take good routes and seemed to be inexperienced but had the athleticism to play center.

Watching him this season, I have no doubt he could play center. He wouldn't be a star out there but he could hold his own.

• jimmer likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, buxton, kepler