Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Buxton Replacement? Don't bother, he's already here....

twins buxton kepler
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

Here's a fun Buxton stat: He has struck out 49 times since the last time Mookie Betts struck out. Betts hasn't struck out in 28 games. That's pretty incredible, and it says more about Betts than Buxton, but I thought I'd just mention it here.

• ScrapTheNickname, h2oface, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

#22 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

Ortiz retired so we don't have a perennial All-Star playing for another team to complain about so we have to run somebody out until we get that back!

Sano is playing too well at the moment but give it time. He'll have a 3 K game with an error and the pitchforks and torches will be out in full force. 

• Loosey and Craig Arko like this

#23 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:48 AM

Sano is playing too well at the moment but give it time. He'll have a 3 K game with an error and the pitchforks and torches will be out in full force. 

Sano wore the golden sombrero a couple days ago and I didn't see any mobs forming outside the gates. You get leeway for a bad game or even a week when you otherwise perform well. That's how baseball goes.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 18 April 2017 - 10:49 AM.

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, adorduan and 1 other like this

#24 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

I'm not panicking....but I am worried.  And if you're not, then you probably are trying too hard to keep the rose-colored glasses on.

It's time to be worried and it's time for the organization to make it their top priority.  (Something I hope is already happening.)

• Mike Sixel, ScrapTheNickname, Oxtung and 3 others like this

#25 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

Sano wore the golden sombrero a couple days ago and I didn't see any mobs forming outside the gates. You get leeway for a bad game or even a week when you otherwise perform well. That's how baseball goes.

It was tongue in cheek...

No doubt though that he has been the recipient of a disproportionate amount of criticism now that some have moved on from Mauer. 

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:33 PM

It was tongue in cheek...

No doubt though that he has been the recipient of a disproportionate amount of criticism now that some have moved on from Mauer. 

Buxton is getting too much criticism? They are talking about him on every chat on FG, KLAW, and MLBTR. They are doing entire segments on him on ESPN and MLB. And we think we are being too critical here? 

• Oldgoat_MN, adorduan and HitInAPinch like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#27 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

Buxton has done everything he could at AAA. There is nothing he can prove there. 

I think he needs to get his straightening out done here. If he sits a couple of times a week, so be it. But he, along with Kepler and Rosario, have helped the Twins' pitching staff IMMENSELY. You really don't want to break that up.

He'll figure it out. Give the team some time. They are unlikely to win big this year, anyway. 

• h2oface likes this

#28 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

500 yo-yo'd, jerked around, called up prematurely, inconsistent ABs... Still not worried. 

Or if it makes people feel better, let's just cut him. Dude will never figure it out. Couldn't even get D Santana for him in a trade. 

Your words NOBODY ELSE...nothing new.  Such a shame that legitimate discussion is reduced to snotty retorts when someone voices concerns about certain players (ie Mauer, Sano, Buxton, whomever).

Edited by laloesch, 18 April 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#29 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

Buxton is getting too much criticism? They are talking about him on every chat on FG, KLAW, and MLBTR. They are doing entire segments on him on ESPN and MLB. And we think we are being too critical here? 

No no no......

Check that convo again. I made a comment about the beating Sano takes. 

#30 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Buxton has done everything he could at AAA. There is nothing he can prove there. 

I think he needs to get his straightening out done here. If he sits a couple of times a week, so be it. But he, along with Kepler and Rosario, have helped the Twins' pitching staff IMMENSELY. You really don't want to break that up.

He'll figure it out. Give the team some time. They are unlikely to win big this year, anyway. 

I would prefer to give him a few more months in the big leagues.  However, a lot of the issues with Buxton aren't ability, but that there is something broken with his basic swing mechanics/approach.

I wouldn't rule out the benefit of sending him down to a place with less pressure, with ONE designated guy to work through the issues with him, and let him get those mechanics fixed.  

I'm not ready to do that yet, I'd like to see him try to do that here for the very reasons you mention, but it should be something still on the table for this year.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 18 April 2017 - 12:48 PM.

• Taildragger8791 likes this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:02 PM

No no no......

Check that convo again. I made a comment about the beating Sano takes. 

Sano has taken a beating this year?

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#32 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

I would prefer to give him a few more months in the big leagues.  However, a lot of the issues with Buxton aren't ability, but that there is something broken with his basic swing mechanics/approach.

I wouldn't rule out the benefit of sending him down to a place with less pressure, with ONE designated guy to work through the issues with him, and let him get those mechanics fixed.  

I'm not ready to do that yet, I'd like to see him try to do that here for the very reasons you mention, but it should be something still on the table for this year.

We don't disagree with each other. 

I personally think it's in his head. He was fine in spring training. Then he just couldn't do anything once the season started. Same thing happened last year. 

• TheLeviathan likes this

#33 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

So if Kepler is Buxton's replacement, who is gonna replace Kepler in right?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,754 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

So if Kepler is Buxton's replacement, who is gonna replace Kepler in right?

Sano

• USAFChief, Mike Sixel, DJSim22 and 7 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#35 Twinsbar107

Twinsbar107

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, SD

Posted 18 April 2017 - 01:55 PM

Sano

Too soon!

• KidBro and Pardon My Dinger like this

#36 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:10 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like Buxton.  But potential is just that, until it isn't.  At the end of last season, he looked much better:  relaxed, taking nice AB's and still had that stellar defense.  So, what's happening this year?  Overall poor hitting [changes in his approach and technique], horrendous in the clutch.  Defense:  That 3 hopper to the plate a couple games ago still rings in my head.  What to do?  That showed up in the lineup last night....

Max Kepler - CF

Max  seems like the calm, cool type guy who can handle the pressure.  Indeed, I'd say he's already done that: good start on defense, very good start at the plate.  Sadly, I didn't get a chance to see him play there yesterday.

So, what's the hold up?  To coin another lyric from a song written by Stephen Sondheim:  Send in the clowns.

Grossman and D. Santana are the only other OF's on the team.  Gotta do much better than that.

I have no clue on what it'll take to get Buxton straightened out.  He's still only 23, but has had 515 PA's.  I'm a patient guy.  But then reality kicks in.  

New Manager??

bull-durham-trey-wilson.jpg?w=612

The difference is he isn't hitting against September call ups.  You know, the same AAA pitching we already know he can hit.  I think you have to keep running him out there, but he needs to show progress or he's going to be the next Jarvis Brown.

#37 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:22 PM

The difference is he isn't hitting against September call ups.  You know, the same AAA pitching we already know he can hit.  I think you have to keep running him out there, but he needs to show progress or he's going to be the next Jarvis Brown.

Some of Buxton's best games in September came against pretty good big league pitchers. That was one of the reasons for optimism. There was an article on here or somewhere that analyzed who he was getting his hits against in order to see if it was legit or if he just feasted on cup-of-coffee guys. It still doesn't mean that September was a sure breakout moment, but it added credibility to what he was doing at least.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#38 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:37 PM

I agree there is nothing left to prove there. And I'm certainly not giving up on him. But Buxton needs to reboot. If he can't reboot here, let him try in Rochester. I would give him until the end of the month.

#39 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 774 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

Sano has taken a beating this year?

Nope, you're reading way too far into it. I was being facetious...

The point was made (in jest) that we needed another good player to be the team punching bag. I said give it time and Sano will be feeling the heat again. 

Since the season started I haven't seen anybody go after Sano, but really how can you when he is playing this well? The amount of criticism he received last season and through the offseason was excessive IMO.  

Edited by KirbyDome89, 18 April 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:45 PM

Nope, you're reading way too far into it. I was being facetious...

The point was made (in jest) that we needed another good player to be the team punching bag. I said give it time and Sano will be feeling the heat again. 

Since the season started I haven't seen anybody go after Sano, but really how can you when he is playing this well? The amount of criticism he received last season and through the offseason was excessive IMO.  

sorry, clearly I'm just not "on" in this thread. It's me, not you.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, buxton, kepler