Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Buxton Replacement? Don't bother, he's already here....

twins buxton kepler
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:33 AM

Don't get me wrong, I like Buxton.  But potential is just that, until it isn't.  At the end of last season, he looked much better:  relaxed, taking nice AB's and still had that stellar defense.  So, what's happening this year?  Overall poor hitting [changes in his approach and technique], horrendous in the clutch.  Defense:  That 3 hopper to the plate a couple games ago still rings in my head.  What to do?  That showed up in the lineup last night....

Max Kepler - CF

Max  seems like the calm, cool type guy who can handle the pressure.  Indeed, I'd say he's already done that: good start on defense, very good start at the plate.  Sadly, I didn't get a chance to see him play there yesterday.

So, what's the hold up?  To coin another lyric from a song written by Stephen Sondheim:  Send in the clowns.

Grossman and D. Santana are the only other OF's on the team.  Gotta do much better than that.

I have no clue on what it'll take to get Buxton straightened out.  He's still only 23, but has had 515 PA's.  I'm a patient guy.  But then reality kicks in.  

New Manager??

bull-durham-trey-wilson.jpg?w=612

• jun likes this

It's not my fault !

#2 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 05:59 AM

How many games have we played this year? Oh, week three? Ok, deep breaths...
  • gunnarthor, pbrezeasap, Vanimal46 and 2 others like this

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:21 AM

Such a weird dynamic on threads so far... It's almost like people want Buxton to be an epic failure.
  • gunnarthor, Mike Frasier Law, mazeville and 1 other like this

#4 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:48 AM

Ortiz retired so we don't have a perennial All-Star playing for another team to complain about so we have to run somebody out until we get that back!

• Deduno Abides and kenbuddha like this

#5 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Strange, new, worlds

• Members
  • 7,272 posts
  • LocationEnceladus

Posted 18 April 2017 - 06:51 AM

Such a weird dynamic on threads so far... It's almost like people want Buxton to be an epic failure.

You just noticed this?

• gunnarthor, Joe A. Preusser, cjj td and 2 others like this

45: In the end, he can see only one.

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:09 AM

I don't think it's limited to just Buxton.
  • gunnarthor, Craig Arko, jun and 3 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 07:57 AM

People want him to be great. He is the exact opposite. Even guys like KLAW, who preach patience are saying it is time to worry.
  • Thrylos, jun, adorduan and 5 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

People want him to be great. He is the exact opposite. Even guys like KLAW, who preach patience are saying it is time to worry.

I just can't get behind starting to worry about Buxton 3 weeks into a season. The first 50 PA's have been very bad. Let's see if the next 50 are better. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 18 April 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#9 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 6,609 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:04 AM

KLAW is a national writer. It's impossible for him to devote enough attention to Buxton to know whether or not to be worried.
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#10 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 6,609 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

I just can't get behind starting to worry about Buxton 3 weeks into a season. The first 50 PA's have been very bad. Let's see if the next 50 are better.

I'll see your 50 and raise you 250.
  • Dantes929, Sconnie, laloesch and 2 others like this
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:10 AM

It's over 500 ABs...

• Thrylos, Oxtung, TheLeviathan and 4 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#12 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:13 AM

I would be pretty surprised if they send him back down in the next 3 months. I do think he'll get more days off sprinkled in than they planned, especially against RHs that are high K guys (like Salazar).

• LA VIkes Fan and Vanimal46 like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

It's over 500 ABs...

500 yo-yo'd, jerked around, called up prematurely, inconsistent ABs... Still not worried. 

Or if it makes people feel better, let's just cut him. Dude will never figure it out. Couldn't even get D Santana for him in a trade. 

• gunnarthor, pbrezeasap, Dozier's Glorious Hair and 1 other like this

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

It's not week three. It's game 151 and just over a year of official service time.

I agree that it's far too early to worry about a 23 year old kid, but let's not pretend the sample size on him is 3 weeks. It's biased statements like this that create disagreements.

• Jerr, Mike Sixel, ScrapTheNickname and 4 others like this

#15 Doomtints

Doomtints

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:16 AM

I would be pretty surprised if they send him back down in the next 3 months. I do think he'll get more days off sprinkled in than they planned, especially against RHs that are high K guys (like Salazar).

At this point they gotta just let him play. Expectations are low on the season anyway.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#16 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

At this point they gotta just let him play. Expectations are low on the season anyway.

I think they are going to let him play most the time.

• Doomtints and Vanimal46 like this

#17 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

Buxton is more than likely not going to become Mike Trout like some people envisioned 3-4 years ago.  However, he will not continue to strike out 60% of the time either.  We know he has the ability to hit, we have seen it in small stretches.

What I am worried about is the mental side of the game for him.  Not mental from a standpoint of he he doesn't understand the game or situations or anything like that.  I am talking about when things go poorly he seems to become a mess at the plate.  He doesn't do things consistently, his swing changes, he chases and he tries to do too much.  

So he might hit .350 in May for all we know, but he could have a 3 strikeout game on May 31 and then get into another funk when his swing gets messed up after that and hits .050 for June.  That is what I am worried about. 

• Mike Sixel, jun, milldam and 3 others like this

#18 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:20 AM

It's not week three. It's game 151 and just over a year of official service time.

I agree that it's far too early to worry about a 23 year old kid, but let's not pretend the sample size on him is 3 weeks. It's biased statements like this that create disagreements.

Frankly I don't care about his 2015, or really his 2016 seasons. They admitted to calling him up too early, and last season he was up for a month, sent down for 1.5 months, called up for 3 weeks, sent down for 1 month, etc. 

I care about this season... The season where he's supposed to be an everyday player getting 500 consistent PAs. 

• Mike Sixel, pbrezeasap and KirbyDome89 like this

#19 Loosey

Loosey

Non-Roster Invitee

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 08:24 AM

Adding to the original post.  If Buxton doesn't ever figure it out, (he will) it is nice to have a Kepler on the Roster.  How many other teams have the luxury of having the #1 overall prospect in baseball potentially fail, but have another same aged guy who can fill in and become close to many thought the #1 prospect could have been?  

It will be better when they both play but it is nice to have that backup plan in a year or two if things don't change with Buxton.

• HitInAPinch and Bill Brown69 like this

#20 Doomtints

Doomtints

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

Frankly I don't care about his 2015, or really his 2016 seasons. They admitted to calling him up too early, and last season he was up for a month, sent down for 1.5 months, called up for 3 weeks, sent down for 1 month, etc. 

I care about this season... The season where he's supposed to be an everyday player getting 500 consistent PAs. 

Yes, I can see that. And what I'm telling you is that's a mistake.

In any case, he is a young player and there is no need to panic. And, by the way, I don't see anyone panicking.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twins, buxton, kepler