Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (4/13): Berríos Dazzles in Buffalo

jose berrios tyler wells matt hague
  • Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:19 AM

FWIW Berrios is working on some mechanical adjustments. On the Red Wings' pregame show just now he said he's trying to ditch that wrist curl thing he does with his pitching hand behind his back at the start of his delivery.

Said he's been doing that his whole life, so it has been difficult to change that habit. Primary reason for the change is they think it will help his command, but they're also hoping it make it less likely he'll tip his pitches. 

Ah!There it is!Watching him last season, I couldn't figure out what was so weird about his delivery.I remember seeing a pause in Berrios' delivery.

Question:last season his fastball looked pretty straight/flat to my TV eyes.Is that true?Pigment of my imagination??

It's not my fault !

#42 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Ah!There it is!Watching him last season, I couldn't figure out what was so weird about his delivery.I remember seeing a pause in Berrios' delivery.

Question:last season his fastball looked pretty straight/flat to my TV eyes.Is that true?Pigment of my imagination??

The straight fastball he'll top out at 96-97MPH on. It's the 91-92MPH two-seamer that moves a ton that he couldn't control, but is also the pitch that dominates these AAA hitters.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#43 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 14,502 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 April 2017 - 05:50 PM

The straight fastball he'll top out at 96-97MPH on. It's the 91-92MPH two-seamer that moves a ton that he couldn't control, but is also the pitch that dominates these AAA hitters.

Can he try three seams and split the difference? :)

(There's a kernel of a serious question in there, but I don't know enough of the fundamentals to ask it correctly.)

• Steve Lein and Mike Sixel like this

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, tyler wells, matt hague