Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Morris on Mauer

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#121 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,099 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:27 AM

how many cookies down the heart of the plate do you watch before you adjust? I mean Joe has seen a million of them, maybe 2 million, and hasn't said "you know, I'll bet if I swing at those a little bit more often, I might get more hits, or at least work more favorable counts"

I don't care about his selectivity at the plate. I care that he hasn't changed his swing since he came up as a young man. It was lauded as a perfect swing. Back in 2006. Before statitistics made a perfect swing obsolete due to the predictability of the resulting contact. He needs to swallow his pride and talk to Castro about the advantages of creating lift and pulling the ball. And starting his swing earlier.
  • USAFChief, Mike Sixel and Sconnie like this

#122 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

26th Man

• Twins Mods
  • 14,501 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:37 AM

Is there any other player that you're remotely interested in?

Let's keep the overly personal gibes to a minimum, please.

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

#123 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:12 AM

It might score more runs in THAT at-bat, but does it create more runs over the course of the inning?

Run-probability goes down in several situations when you fill first base. In situations where it does go up, it is actually quite marginal, almost negligible.

Go into those at-bats looking to swing.

Edit: Worded the above kind of poorly. The real point I'm making is:

Filling first base with a walk has a negligible effect on run-probability either way (many call it run-expectancy).

The difference, which is a big one to me, is there is only one situation where a walk scores a run, and it's the least common situation on the bases in baseball by a significant margin.

Edited by Steve Lein, 19 April 2017 - 08:15 AM.

• djvang likes this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#124 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,790 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:21 AM

I don't care about his selectivity at the plate. I care that he hasn't changed his swing since he came up as a young man. It was lauded as a perfect swing. Back in 2006. Before statitistics made a perfect swing obsolete due to the predictability of the resulting contact. He needs to swallow his pride and talk to Castro about the advantages of creating lift and pulling the ball. And starting his swing earlier.

agreed on the need for a mechanical adjustment as well. predictability is bad

#125 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

Buster Olney posted this stat:

http://www.fangraphs...ers=0&sort=11,a

Mauer has the best swinging strike % in the majors.

In one sense there could be an argument that he should swing more, but I'm pretty convinced that he is absolutely physically cooked. By limiting swings, he is still, in some ways, able to maximize what he can do - as little as that is. I don't think he can make the adjustments people are calling for here.

• ChiTownTwinsFan, 70charger and Vanimal46 like this
Papers...business papers.