Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Buxton on MLB Network

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

Excellent video. Very persuasive analysis. It also seems like the king of thing you can fix with a soft toss approach in practice and then tracking without swinging. It's like when a good player is in a slump and you can tell when he's about to break out because he starts walking a lot. That means he's tracking the ball well. Interestingly, Buxton almost never walks.

#22 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 11:59 AM

Damn, good stuff.

Was he tracking better in September last year?  Or how do we explain that?

Edited by TheLeviathan, 13 April 2017 - 11:59 AM.

• HitInAPinch likes this

#23 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:11 PM

Just to be clear, we are giving Harold Reynolds compliments? :)

At this point I'll complement Vladimir Putin if he can fix Buxton.

• USAFChief, Oldgoat_MN, big dog and 4 others like this

#24 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:31 PM

Reynolds wondered if Buxton had ever been hit in the head, which would imply Buxton is gun-shy. That he pulls his head, possibly, out of fear which he may not even be aware of.

Edited by ScrapTheNickname, 13 April 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#25 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,400 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

Damn, good stuff.

Was he tracking better in September last year?  Or how do we explain that?

I think he was, actually.  He's not the Rockies guy but it's not as straight as it is this season.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...dethepark-homer

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Reynolds wondered if Buxton had ever been hit in the head, which would imply Buxton is gun-shy. He pulls his head, possibly, out of fear.

The video didn't seem to show Buxton actually pulling his head, it simply looked like he never moved it. It pretty much stayed in the same place from the time the ball was in the pitcher's glove until it was in the catcher's. And it was always in the catcher's.

#27 TheGiantTeapot

TheGiantTeapot

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMinnesota's "Little Sweden"... yeum...

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

Very persuasive. It makes as much sense as anything else that's been said. I hope Rowson and staff address it. Or fly Reynolds in and have him work with the young man. Whatever it takes. He has all the tools, the fixing needs to take place in his head.

#28 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 13,240 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

I think he was, actually.  He's not the Rockies guy but it's not as straight as it is this season.

http://m.mlb.com/vid...dethepark-homer

Well, that pitch is outside, so i'm not sure it helps a ton.  I appreciate the effort, but I think it's the low and inside stuff we'd have to watch.

• gunnarthor and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:03 PM

mike sixel
2:54 It's April. He's 23. He only has 500ish ABs in the majors, but when should we worry about Buxton if he isn't hitting well?

Keith Law
2:55 I think you can worry about him now, given that he struck out a ton last year before September too. And if he starts to make more contact right now, I'd want to see him do it for a few weeks or months before thinking he's turned the corner.

• Oldgoat_MN and HitInAPinch like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#30 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 6,771 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

At this point I'll complement Vladimir Putin if he can fix Buxton.

I'd say a good word about ISIS.

Papers...business papers.

#31 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:25 PM

The video didn't seem to show Buxton actually pulling his head, it simply looked like he never moved it. It pretty much stayed in the same place from the time the ball was in the pitcher's glove until it was in the catcher's. And it was always in the catcher's.

True enough.

#32 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:08 PM

Might be a little Nick Punto syndrome.  He was fine until they said he was the regular 3rd baseman and he thought he needed to hit home runs cuz that is what 3rd basemen do.  Another guy victim of over swinging. I think Buxton should be bunting at least every other game but when you put him in the 3 spot he thinks he should be a different kind of hitter.  I also like the golf analogy. I once took a lesson and the pro watched me hit 10 of the worst shanks you will ever see.  He stopped me and he told me about 3 things I was doing wrong.  When he let me swing again I hit 10 of the purest shots you will ever see.  Sometimes it is just one thing like grip or ball position that changes everything.  I understand there is a big difference between minor league and major league pitching but no one goes from .302 in the minors to .069 in the majors without doing something different.  

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,433 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 13 April 2017 - 02:12 PM

I love this analogy... As an average golfer, it's incredibly difficult to progress forward when you're continuously changing your grip, how far you take your backswing, where you line up the ball, etc... 

As a below average golfer, I can testify that it doesn't help either.

• Blake and Vanimal46 like this

#34 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

See Ball Hit Ball

#35 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

I've used a similar line in coaching 10 year olds and Town Ball players:

Watch the ball hit the bat. All The Way.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:43 PM

from mlbtr.com today:

BYOP
2:26 How much longer are the Twins going to allow Buxton to suffer?

Jeffrey Todd
2:26 Like, half the season at least. Can't think he'll keep striking out half the time, though if that really does continue for a long time they'd probably have to drop him.
(To Triple-A.)

TwinsWin
2:49 Can't Buxton build his strike zone comfort by bunting 50% of the time? Even if the opponent knows what's coming, it's still a ball put in play and his speed to contend with...

Jeffrey Todd
2:50 Starting and completing a swing is quite a different thing than placing a bunt.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 13 April 2017 - 03:45 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN and HitInAPinch like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#37 Broker

Broker

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minn.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, when I was a kid the coaches always said to watch the ball until it hits the bat.

#38 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,099 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, when I was a kid the coaches always said to watch the ball until it hits the bat.

Me too. Unfortunately I rarely got to see such a sight.
  • Dantes929, HitInAPinch and Twinsbar107 like this

#39 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:48 PM

Just to be clear, we are giving Harold Reynolds compliments? :)

He's probably just reading a script and showing an analysis that a couple of unknown but much smarter people put together.
If I had to do the same again, I would, my friend, Fernando!

#40 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:53 PM

I think Buxton needs to bunt more, not just because it could help him get on base, but more importantly because it could help him get more advantageous pitches, if people start throwing him more fastballs so they aren't burned by his bunting on breaking balls.
If I had to do the same again, I would, my friend, Fernando!