Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

It's over. Post your offseason plan

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

I guess it's not my plan, but I'm thinking we're going to see Ruby traded somewhere and Rose and Lowry playing PG. I'm a Rubiobo, for sure, but I can't say I'd be too upset with that combo for the next year.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#22 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,866 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

Gotta say, I wouldn't mind finding a way to lose Belly and sign Galinari to fill his role. He'd be much more expensive, but still a drop in the bucket, and he's a way more dependable shooter.

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#23 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

I think the key to the free agent signings this year is to avoid alright players and overpay for them resulting in Mozgof or Deng deals. Ingles and Patterson or any mix of mentioned players for the bench look fine. Preferably for <10M/yr and on 2-3 yr deals. This is kind of where Korver could come in since he is old enough that he can't command too many years or even that high of a contract.

guys that I see getting paid are Redick and Galinari. Both are probably looking for starting roles also.

I believe in Bjelica enough that there NEEDS to be a solid backup big man. Bjelica does one thing well (I like the potential) but the defense falls apart down low when he comes in. Towns and Dieng are fairly decent together but Towns can't make up for a second weaker defender. Aldrich does nothing for me and is simply a contract that comes off the books at some point (2 years).

I have enough confidence in Jones (at least compared to the rest of the second string) that there doesn't need to a better backup brought in but that is more a statement of how little depth the team has. They really need a 20+ min/gm wing and big. Once that is addressed they can look at other needs.

I guess it's not my plan, but I'm thinking we're going to see Ruby traded somewhere and Rose and Lowry playing PG. I'm a Rubiobo, for sure, but I can't say I'd be too upset with that combo for the next year.

Getting Lowry (4/150M?) and Rose (trading Rubio for no salary) would likely eat up all of the Wolves remaining cap space. No thanks.

If the Wolves go that route (trade Rubio) then I am all about Beverly, George Hill or even George Teague. The first is cheaper (under contract but something needs to be sent in a trade) but if they could land Hill/Teague for 15-18M/yr then it could work quite well. But I think it is dangerous to go that route without having a PG deal 100% secured. The worst thing is not having a capable PG for this team. So we might have to wait until the 1st day of FA to see what they have cooking (secret deals until then).

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#24 ALessKosherScott

ALessKosherScott

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

I think it needs to be said if you get Lowry, Rose becomes a bit non-starter and the Big Three is Butler, Towns, Lowry instead of Butler, Towns, Wiggins.

Everyone else is more of a tactical piece. But tactically, there are only so many assists to go around and if Butler is going to eat into what Rubio does well, you may need to change strategy.