Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trevor Hildenberger - 2017

prospect list trevor hildenberger sidearm better submarines than subway
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:20 AM

Trevor Hildenberger: 

657610.jpg Nice smile! 

Position: AWESOME RP prospect we've heard about for 3 years

B/T: R/R
Height: 6'2"
Weight: 211
Birthday: December 15, 1990 AGE: 26

Drafted in the 22nd round in 2014 out of California... The school.

Starting the year in AAA working high leverage innings. 

I'm a sucker for unorthodox wind ups in baseball. Trevor has my attention because he's a sidearm/overhand combination pitcher. This was the best video I could find showcasing his sidearm and overhand tendencies... Maybe Bob Sacamento can help us out too!

Anyway, this dude has been lights out of the bullpen for a while. Last season he cruised through high-A and AA, posting a combined 48 innings, 0.75 ERA, 0.79 WHIP, and 19 saves in 21 opportunities. His career ERA in the minors is a minuscule 1.43... He's also been named Twins Minor League Relief Pitcher of the Year 2 years in a row on this site. 

Last season his So/9 hit the 10.5 mark during his Double-A time. Lefties struck out in 31.9% of their at-bats against Hildenberger while righties compiled a measly .430 OPS. Without seeing him in person, I couldn't tell you how fast he throws, or what his pitch mix is. 

All I know is there's not much left for him to accomplish in the minors before getting the call. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#2 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan, no joke!

• 24,644 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:24 AM

Without seeing him in person, I couldn't tell you how fast he throws, or what his pitch mix is.

My notes from March 24 in Ft Myers had his pitch speeds ranging from 74 to 89. So he doesn't threaten batters with deadly heat, but from that low arm slot the range of speeds has to be perplexing. Seth's writeup back in October had him with a slider and a changeup as his off-pitches.

Here's your guy and mine, listening during morning instructionals:

IMG_4440 (3).JPG

And an idle moment during coach-speak time to an adjacent group:

IMG_4449 (2).JPG

• nicksaviking, bluechipper and Vanimal46 like this

We laugh at gypsies, fortune tellers, and horoscopes, yet we trust baseball prospect lists.

#3 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:27 AM

So far this season he's pitched 2 multiple inning outings. 0 runs allowed in 4 IP with 5 K's. 

Per Cody Christie's April 9th report

"Trevor Hildenberger in his Triple-A debut struck out the side in the sixth to keep the game at 5-2. After tacking on another run in the top of the seventh on a Vargas double, Hildenberger faced one over the minimum in the ninth for his first save." 

And Per Steve Lein's April 11th report:

"Travor Hildenberger was the first reliever summoned from the bullpen for the seventh inning, and he pitched two scoreless frames allowing two singles and striking out one."

#4 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,753 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:22 PM

He looks like he is working pretty quickly from the video posted. Is this his normal pace? If so I like it.

#5 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 April 2017 - 02:17 PM

He looks like he is working pretty quickly from the video posted. Is this his normal pace? If so I like it.

I'm not sure why pitchers working quickly has become a lost art.... Mark Buerhle was a master at getting ready to throw the next pitch as soon as he got the ball back from the catcher. 

#6 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:16 AM

All this guy does is pitch scoreless outings. A perfect 7th inning yesterday with 2 Ks.

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:07 PM

Hildenberger's end of month stats: 

6 appearances, 3.68 ERA 1.36 WHIP in 7.1 IP - 10 K's 1 BB 1 save.

He started his first 4 appearances easy breezy without giving up a run. The last 2 outings have been a little rough. Nonetheless, he's been pitching in late, high leverage innings for the Red Wings and doing well! 

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,042 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

I am getting this deja vu feeling here. One Anthony Slama comes to mind.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#9 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

I am getting this deja vu feeling here. One Anthony Slama comes to mind.

That feels like a strong comparison... 

Stats through 5/30:

14 appearances - 19.1 IP -- 2.33 ERA -- 1.09 WHIP -- 21 K -- 6 BB

The numbers are there, clearly. I guess I don't have the answer as to why there is zero urgency to give him a chance. 

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,042 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:42 PM

That feels like a strong comparison... 

Stats through 5/30:

14 appearances - 19.1 IP -- 2.33 ERA -- 1.09 WHIP -- 21 K -- 6 BB

The numbers are there, clearly. I guess I don't have the answer as to why there is zero urgency to give him a chance. 

Especially with Belisle and Rucinski . . . I mean it is quite bizarre to me that Melotakis and Hildenberger aren't getting a look by now.

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hildenberger was one of the featured pitchers discussed in Seth Stoh's article "Minor League Promotions Coming Soon?"

He details what we all know, that Hildenberger has great stats and very little else to prove in the minors... Per the article link:

"In the Red Wings bullpen, Trevor Hildenberger should be next in line for a spot in the Twins bullpen. He has thrown 29 innings over 20 appearances this year in Rochester. He is 2-1 with a 2.17 ERA, a 1.14 WHIP, 2.2 BB/9 and 10.2 K/9. At 26, the side-winding right-hander has confidence in his ability to throw three or four pitches for strikes at any time, in any count. Frankly, he’s got little more to prove in the minor leagues."

Edited by Vanimal46, 20 June 2017 - 09:24 AM.

• goulik likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:13 AM

ANNND He gets the call up to Minnesota today! Let's hope he does well. As we all know, Minnesota needs all the help they can get in that bullpen. 

• goulik and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

Cody Christie posted an article today "Get To Know Trevor Hildenberger"

#14 goulik

goulik

Kernel of truth

• 1,753 posts
  • LocationElko

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Scoreless inning in his debut... Nice start!
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#15 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

Here is the post-game interview after Hildenberger's MLB debut.

#16 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,864 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

And this is a video posted by Mike Berardino. Trevor's parents were in town, and he was able to tell them in person that he got the call to the majors. Very cool! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prospect list, trevor hildenberger, sidearm, better submarines than subway