Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Who Will Be Pitching Staff's Odd Man Out?

craig breslow tyler duffey michael tonkin justin haley
  • Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:18 AM

1.) We're talking about having a DH not a utility infielder. No one is saying "get rid of Escobar", just that having Escobar DH is ridiculous. It's Jason Tyner 2.0. 

Escobar's career OPS = .682, Grossman's = .723. Grossman's OPS vs. righties (his weak side) = .696. Escobar vs. righties = .659. You might as well use Grossman (who is a solid platoon partner but not a full-time DH and not useful against righties) than replace him with Escobar. If the question was "DH Sano and Escobar plays 3B vs DH Grossman and Sano plays 3B" I'd get your point but if we're talking DHs (which we are), it's insane.

2.) Palka is an interesting option no one talks about. He hit righties and lefties pretty evenly in the minors in 2014 and 2016 (though not in 2015 to be fair) and is a much better bat at 1B than Gimenez on days Mauer sits. And when the Twins play righties (70% of starters) they'd be able to DH Palka instead of Grossman, who slots much better into a DH-vs-lefties/bench bat role.

Palka is a viable option besides Vargas/Park. He doesn't solve the lefties dilemma but that's only 30% of pitchers. Let's solve the 70% problem.

Palka would have to continue his current plate discipline to have a shot.

#102 The Wise One

The Wise One

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 12:26 AM

Back to the pitching topic.

http://www.fangraphs...-pitching-less/

Older article, but really the question should be what 2 pitchers.

#103 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,177 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:11 AM

hopefully its been ruled out. personally, i'm kinda tired of watching middle infielders play terribly in the outfield.

I'm hoping to see more of it.

I'm hoping the word logjam is managed right out of the game of baseball.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#104 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,449 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:42 AM

Oh, sure, pieces can be moved about. Much better now than the corner-DH-clogged days not so long ago with Willingham and Doumit as important players.

I was just reacting, maybe too specifically, to what I believed to be the question of replacing DanSan's role. Agreed, virtually anyone good can take a roster spot, and then the manager must work out the details, given that reasonable positional flexibility is present.

Ah, got it. Yeah, Santana's role is a bit different in Molitor's eyes, though I question why that's the case. Santana is not a good OF. The only decent skill he brings to the table is speed, really.

#105 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,449 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

Back to the pitching topic.

http://www.fangraphs...-pitching-less/

Older article, but really the question should be what 2 pitchers.

What an interesting article. I'd love to see Cameron follow up on it with 2012-2016 stats to see if his point still holds.

#106 EddieMatthews

EddieMatthews

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

Maybe if teams keep 13 pitchers, there may be some job security for relievers (or even starters) if they buy a first baseman's mitt or learn to run bases.  If Sano could play RF, maybe a pitcher could too.  Could a skilled pitcher backfill a position player?  Would they be any worse than Danny Santana?  

Lots of opportunities and should be some spare time in the minors to diversify the skillset.  It would surely make late innings more interesting to watch.

#107 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:48 AM

I love Duffey in the pen. I didn't want Tonkin to start with, but I'd be OK with Breslow being DFA, then you could use either Vargas or Park.
  • USAFChief likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: craig breslow, tyler duffey, michael tonkin, justin haley