Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins vs Indians, 08-08-2012, 11:05am

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...8-2012-11-05am

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Twins:
Span CF

Revere RF
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Morneau DH
Doumit C
Nishioka 2B
Dozier SS
Casilla 3B
(Duensing P)

Indians:
Kipnis 2B
Cabrera SS
Choo RF
Santana DH
Brantley CF
Duncan LF
Marson C
Kotchman 1B
Lillibridge 3B
(Masterson P)

#3 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Not sure if I should hope for another Nishi o-fer...at least then he'll play himself out of the bigs quicker.

#4 RickSchuette

RickSchuette

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

I don't mean to go off-topic, but I haven't heard anyone raise this question yet, and certainly Bert and Dick in the booth aren't going to raise it...of what value is it to try to bring back Carl Pavano and Matt Capps for the remainder of the season. Neither will be with us next year and they will only take valuable starts/appearances away from pitchers we know we will want to look at next season. We certainly don't owe either of them anything in terms of helping them get a better contract offer over the off-season.

#5 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Seriously, Dick, why would he get first base if he struck out when the ball hit him? Never in my life have I seen a catcher pick up the ball after it hit the batter and throw to first base to record an out. I think it's debatable whether Span swung or not but the ruling isn't exactly debatable.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 3,927 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Nice start Duensing! Shake it off and throw some zeroes!

#7 Tcrose3636

Tcrose3636

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

So is it safe to say if the Twins sweep the Indians in Cleveland, they will win the World Series? Last time the Twins swept Cleveland in Cleveland was '91...seem logical to me.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

I don't mean to go off-topic, but I haven't heard anyone raise this question yet, and certainly Bert and Dick in the booth aren't going to raise it...of what value is it to try to bring back Carl Pavano and Matt Capps for the remainder of the season. Neither will be with us next year and they will only take valuable starts/appearances away from pitchers we know we will want to look at next season. We certainly don't owe either of them anything in terms of helping them get a better contract offer over the off-season.

Like strangely using Brian Duensing in the starting rotation now when there's no way in hell any sane manager would do that next year?

#9 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

I don't know if there's any player I've ever despised as much as Nishioka.

#10 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I guess the good news is that he may play himself out of the lineup defensively before he does offensively. This three game stretch has been some of the absolute worst baseball I've ever seen in my entire life (from Nishi, that is).

#11 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I take that back. If the Twins were contending I'd hate him. As it is now he's kind of comical.

#12 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

Is Nishi super nervous or horrible or both? Never in my life have I seen a major leaguer play defense like a tee-baller.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#13 RickSchuette

RickSchuette

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:43 AM

I doubt that Duensing is in their plans for the rotation next season. But finishing the season as a starter would improve his trade value over the off-season. That ship has sailed with Pavano...and Capps for that matter. Let Duensing and Blackburn try to get some sink back on their pitches and lower their ERA. They both know they're doubtful as far as staying in the rotation next year. Let them pitch their way off the bubble, either for the Twins or another team. Pavano will need three MLB starts just to stretch himself out to 6 innings. What value does that add to the Twins over the final six weeks of his contract?

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Ugh. Nishi, you're killing us.

#15 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:46 AM

Duensing is essentially worthless if he can't even get lefties out.

#16 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

I'm sorry but Duensing's ship has sailed as well. He can't get anyone out any more.

#17 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Nishi caught a throw!!!!!

#18 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:48 AM

I know the Twins are at the bottom of the barrel for starts, but is there really no one else that can come up and take either Blackburn or Duensing's place in the rotation.

#19 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

I have a feeling that Blackburn will retain a spot as a starter just based on stubborn management refusing to cut him just based on the amount of cash he's making. Meh, the Twins won't contend next year at any rate, and if they are contending at any point, Blackburn will probably be having a decent year anyway.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

I know the Twins are at the bottom of the barrel for starts, but is there really no one else that can come up and take either Blackburn or Duensing's place in the rotation.

Cuellar better be working some serious black voodoo magic with Hendriks down in Rochester for him not to be on the Twins roster at this point.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Hey...all this complaining about Nishioka. The twins are undefeated with Nishioka in the lineup and averaging over 10 runs per game on offense!

#22 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Nishi Scoreboard Errors 3 Hits 0 Is there some kind of kamikaze mission he could be assigned to?

There is no May and Mayer. They're made up.

#23 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

Is Nishi super nervous or horrible or both? Never in my life have I seen a major leaguer play defense like a tee-baller.

What's the board policy on racist jokes as long as I'm not flying off the deep end?

I'll refrain from saying anything if it's frowned upon.

#24 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Hey...all this complaining about Nishioka. The twins are undefeated with Nishioka in the lineup and averaging over 10 runs per game on offense!

Nishioka the Twins' talisman?

#25 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Cuellar better be working some serious black voodoo magic with Hendriks down in Rochester for him not to be on the Twins roster at this point.

oH YEAH Liam...the teams top pitching prospect who's done nothing but pitch well at AAA. Should the Twins start him...no lets keep rolling out the rotting flesh of Duensing and ****ing Blackburn.

#26 RickSchuette

RickSchuette

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

I suspect we are seeing the difference between a ball being hit to a second basemen at 90 mph in Japan, and 125 mph in America. The speed and power of the MLB game is clearly a flight or two over his head, something neither he nor the Twins thought would be the case. Unfortunately, he's been blessed with outfield speed, but cursed with a second baseman's arm. The Twins front office knows he isn't working out. I suspect they're letting him prove it to himself that he doesn't belong at this level. He isn't the first player to bust at the MLB level. Every team tries some things that don't work out.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

oH YEAH Liam...the teams top pitching prospect who's done nothing but pitch well at AAA. Should the Twins start him...no lets keep rolling out the rotting flesh of Duensing and ****ing Blackburn.

It seems to me as if they're working on something specific with Hendriks. He was sent down at an odd time and the organization has been mum about him since. It'd be nice if someone gave the fanbase an update on him.

#28 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

What's the board policy on racist jokes as long as I'm not flying off the deep end?

I'll refrain from saying anything if it's frowned upon.

I believe political correctness is a variety of censorship and different from racist jokes(which I think you ought not commit), but use you own best judgment I suppose.

#29 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

It seems to me as if they're working on something specific with Hendriks. He was sent down at an odd time and the organization has been mum about him since. It'd be nice if someone gave the fanbase an update on him.

I would also like the Twins to come out and say something but JR would give you his first born before that happens.

Is it odd that the Twins think a prospect is better off working with the AAA pitching coach over Rick Anderson the god of teaching sink?

#30 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Got to make them pay here Doumit!