Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Ben Rortvedt - 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Nice to see the youngster get two hits, including a dinger to surpass the Mendoza line today.  Looks like he'll bat once more, in the 9th.  Keep it up, Young Man!

"Hey!You F**ked Up.You trusted us." - Otter to Flounder in 'Animal House'

#22 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:17 PM

Kid had a disasterous start to the year. Nice to see he made adjustments. If he keeps this up he could legitimately start next year for the Miracle and be well on his way

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:09 AM

I hope it's not a jinx to report that 1-for 4 and 2-for-4 games on June 24-25 have brought Ben Rortvedt's batting average up to .201. While the seasonal OPS of .571 is nothing to write home about, things are moving in the right direction for him at the plate and it is reasonable to anticipate a decent batting line by season's end. Nothing in baseball is a given, however.

I'm in big trouble at home. I used one of the couch pillows AS A PILLOW.

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

Whew! For a moment there I thought I had jinxed my lad - he went ofer on June 26 to drop his BA below .200 again. But a pair of two-hit games on the 28th and 29th has his average up to a robust .209. Not good unless you remember the circumstances in the first month.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

It's been a little while since last report. With the first half of July now in the books, Ben has done OK at the plate, with a decent .273 BA, but little power (just 1 double) and no walks in 33 PA. For the season, he's batting .219 but his OPS still hasn't cracked the .600 level. I'm sure his coaches would like to see him step up the performance for a strong finish to the remainder of the season.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:38 AM

Ben hit a two-out three-run homer in the third inning of Cedar Rapids' 12-4 laugher over the Lansing Lugnuts last night. He followed up his blast with a sac-fly RBI in the fourth. The four RBI represent a career high in one game for the young catcher.

#27 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Ben laced a couple of doubles, and scored a run each time, in the Kernels' 7-2 loss to the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers. This brought his season BA back up to .218.

Let's see a continuation of this kind of performance, Ben!

My+name+is+david+and+i+approve+of+this+o

#28 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

Isn't his season BA getting close to MLB ready? He's ahead of Laudner circa 1987.... Call him up!!
;)

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:51 PM

The Kernels fell 7-6 to the Quad Cities River Thieves on August 8, but not for lack of effort by Ben Rortvedt. He walked in the second inning, drove home a run in the third with a single, and scored a run himself after walking in the seventh.

#30 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Ben launched the Kernels toward their eventual 3-0 win with his second inning home run against the Quad Cities River Dregs. He also singled to drive in a run in the third.

According to milb.com, that single was a little unconventional. "The fly ball was initially ruled a catch by Bandits left fielder Ronnie Dawson. Dawson threw the ball back to the infield on what appeared to be a double play to end the inning. The umpires conferred, ruled the ball hit the fence first, scoring the run."

Seth's minor league wrap-up for the day contained this quote from Clark Beeker, that game's pitcher: "Ben does a phenomenal job behind the plate. It really is impressive to watch him work and how much he values the defensive side of the game. Obviously his home run and single were huge to get some momentum going early, and he's definitely swung the bat better these last few months. His dedication to being on the same page with the pitchers and taking control of the game at his age and in his first full season is impressive and has been fun to watch, whether I'm a spectator that day or pitching.

Ben's batting average now stands at .221 and his OPS has peeked its nose just above .600. Things are moving in the right general direction for him. In perhaps a show of confidence, Cedar Rapids manager Tommy Watkins has been batting him fifth in the lineup lately.

• goulik likes this

#31 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:43 PM

http://www.twincitie...g-league-coach/

Sportswriter Mike Berardino offers these quotes about Ben Rortvedt from Twins coach Jeff Smith: “He receives the ball well; he’s got real soft hands. He gives a good target and has made huge strides in his game calling and his ability to work with his pitching coach and his pitchers. Ben can really throw, too. ... Love the fire. It’s not a bad fire. It’s a competitive fire. He’s very competitive on both sides of the plate.”

• Mike Sixel likes this

#32 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

A nice game for Ben in the game versus Burlington on August 30.In the Kernels' 7-run first inning, he drove in a run with a single, and later came around to score. Later in the game he got another single, and then a double, although neither of these figured in the scoring. Altogether, his 3-for-4 night raised his batting average to .226.

#33 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:21 PM

Didn't he have a horrific offensive start to his season, a la Buck?

#34 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,597 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:51 PM

Didn't he have a horrific offensive start to his season, a la Buck?

I'm planning on a season wrap-up post after the playoffs, but yeah, he grew as a hitter this year, better than his raw stats would suggest. That said, the bat remains behind the glove - from all accounts it would have to be one hell of a bat that wasn't behind that glove.

Perhaps my running joke in this thread - that his stats were so terrible, for a very long while, that I simply wouldn't mention them - led to your honest question. Sorry.