Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Shohei Otani

• Please log in to reply
140 replies to this topic

#121 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,020 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

The Rangers have unsigned players too. More than the Twins, by that list.

I made a mistake. The guys with no money are signed, but for small amounts.

The Twins are tied to Aguiar and Bonifacio, who have not signed yet because they have late August birthdays. They are ranked 30 and 34 by BA, so I assume they'll make a significant dent into the 3ish million left for the Twins.

I don't know if the Rangers have unused money and signings lined up. If they are making a play for Otani I doubt it.
Papers...business papers.

#122 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

No chance. Why is he signing here, and not one of the super wealthy teams that can pay if they want? 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#123 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:56 AM

Well, it's official. Otani is heading to the US to play in the MLB next season. Because of the new CBA, the max contract he can receive is $10.1 million. Which means money isn't going to be the factor for which team he chooses. 

This smells like a Yankees or Dodgers signing. 

#124 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

Fangraphs also just posted a new blog....

"How to Sign Shohei Otani"

#125 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

He has also asked for his name to be:

Ohtani in English.....

I give the Twins a 2% chance, maybe 1.

• Vanimal46 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#126 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

He has also asked for his name to be:

Ohtani in English.....

I give the Twins a 2% chance, maybe 1.

That's about right. It's not 0! But it's very, very small. 

I'd say: 

Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels, Mariners, Rangers, Astros (15-20% chance)

Any other team not on the coast: 1-2% chance. 

Since the contract terms aren't going to be drastically different from all 30 teams, he's going to make his money via marketing.... And frankly, the large markets offer way better opportunity than in fly-over country. 

#127 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:10 PM

Dave Cameron was bringing up some good points in his chat today. It'd be tough for an AL team to promise 2-way playing time. Especially if the bat can't play in a DH role. In the NL, he could at least PH for the pitcher on his days-off, or throw him in the OF.

Since he's forgoing hundreds of millions of dollars to be an MLB player now, I've got to imagine a team has to promise he'll be a 2-way player in order to make it to the negotiation table.  

• Mike Sixel likes this

#128 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Dave Cameron was bringing up some good points in his chat today. It'd be tough for an AL team to promise 2-way playing time. Especially if the bat can't play in a DH role. In the NL, he could at least PH for the pitcher on his days-off, or throw him in the OF.

Since he's forgoing hundreds of millions of dollars to be an MLB player now, I've got to imagine a team has to promise he'll be a 2-way player in order to make it to the negotiation table.  

How badly does he want to play here? So badly he'll give up hundreds of millions of dollars.....

#129 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

Here's Klaw's perspective from his chat today. 

Adam: It has been speculated that Otani’s free agency will be a situation “where money almost literally isn’t a factor,” due to the new signing rules. But the difference between $300k and $10mil is still a lot of money, even for Otani, right?

Keith Law: Of course it is. Two thoughts on Otani: One, I saw absolutely nothing this week to indicate that he’s any more likely to be posted next month than he was a few days ago. There was one completely unsourced report out of Japan … and that’s it. He may very well come over, but this was a non-story. Two, a team can sign Otani to a short-term deal with a forced non-tender clause, which most NPB free agents had in their contracts, so they’d become MLB free agents after just three or four years here. Hell, if I were GM of a contender with the cap room, I’d offer Otani one year at the maximum allowed salary and agree to nontender him at the end of the year.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/

#130 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

I predict it will be the Marlins. 

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#131 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

I predict it will be the Marlins. 

can't. tell. if. serious.

#132 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:37 PM

can't. tell. if. serious.

I'm serious. Why not? 

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#133 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

This is incorrect.They usually sign them (have been signing them) to minor league contracts, but there is not a place that says that you cannot sign him to a major league contact.

To be able to sign an urestricted free agent contract the player has to have 6 years of service time in, MLB adjusted the IFA rules so that an IFA can sign one after they turn 25.

#134 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

I'm serious. Why not? 

I'm guessing, since he isn't getting money right away, he cares about winning. The Marlins have new owners, and not a good team. I'm not sure it is a good fit for winning. And the culture would be totally unknown, since it will be new. I just don't see it.

West Coast, NY, Cubs, TX. Boston.

#135 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:33 PM

https://www.cbsnews....pan-60-minutes/

maybe?

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#136 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 14 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

Good reason for Sano to stick at 3B. Then Otani can DH when he's not pitching...and maybe when he IS pitching. The American League makes more sense for this kid than the National. The DH would allow him to rest his arm between starts, except for batting. If he were to play corner OF, he could wear himself out during a long season, or crash into a wall running for a ball. 

Baseball is easy. Just watch!

#137 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

Enter the Twins according to this logic. The Twins will unlikely sign a full time DH because they will continue to play Sano there for 50 games and Grossman/O(h)tani could be part of the revolving DH position. DH'ing Otani 50+ games is better than a PH role and that is a commitment that I would be willing to make to bring his pitching here.

And what level of commitment to an alright bat at DH makes it still worthwhile to add him to the starting rotation. Would you 'endure' 80 games of a DH that hits .725 OPS to sign him to what will almost certainly be a very undervalued contract?

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#138 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:01 AM

Good reason for Sano to stick at 3B. Then Otani can DH when he's not pitching...and maybe when he IS pitching. The American League makes more sense for this kid than the National. The DH would allow him to rest his arm between starts, except for batting. If he were to play corner OF, he could wear himself out during a long season, or crash into a wall running for a ball. 

NL makes more sense. He gets to hit every 5 days, and he can PH for the other pitchers every game. He gets rest to be ready to pitch, but he still gets around 150-200 ABs in a year.

#139 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

Enter the Twins according to this logic. The Twins will unlikely sign a full time DH because they will continue to play Sano there for 50 games and Grossman/O(h)tani could be part of the revolving DH position. DH'ing Otani 50+ games is better than a PH role and that is a commitment that I would be willing to make to bring his pitching here.

And what level of commitment to an alright bat at DH makes it still worthwhile to add him to the starting rotation. Would you 'endure' 80 games of a DH that hits .725 OPS to sign him to what will almost certainly be a very undervalued contract?

Well, considering this year people like Escobar, Adrianza, Gimenez, and others were getting DH at-bats along with Grossman and Sano, I can see the logic. For the upside of that arm being in the rotation every 5 days, I would certainly be open to him getting 250+ PAs as a DH too. 

All of that said, I still think it's a very small chance the Twins are able to sign him. There's going to be other factors that cities can provide where Minneapolis falls short. Endorsements, a vibrant Asian community, other entertainment, etc. 

#140 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,150 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

How badly does he want to play here? So badly he'll give up hundreds of millions of dollars.....

The 60 Minute piece on him included various interviews of teammates and others that led me to think he just might be one of those rare characters that thinks he can get by happily on ten million or so. He was living at the time in a very sparse dormitory room despite already having amassed plenty of wealth. Teammates said all he focused on was baseball. From the dorm to the fields and back, no partaaays. People also said he was dead serious about playing both ways. So who knows, maybe a squared-away organization that demonstrates a genuine commitment and rational plan to him gets his attention?

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this